What Is The Screw Socket For

iwoo

Next to my 240v plug socket on the front window ledge on my Adria Altea, is another socket with a screw type fitting (a bit like an arial socket) anyone any idea what it is?

Next to my 240v plug socket on the front window ledge on my Adria Altea, is another socket with a screw type fitting (a bit like an arial socket) anyone any idea what it is?

Hi

A picture would be nice !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Next to my 240v plug socket on the front window ledge on my Adria Altea, is another socket with a screw type fitting (a bit like an aerial socket) anyone any idea what it is?

Possibly an F Type connector, same 75 ohm connection but screw on instead of a push.

Anthing like this with the front part sticking out of the wall plate?

If your 'van is fairly new it may be wired with the better quality satellite cable as opposed to the standard co-ax, if this is the case, it will have an additional foil screen within the cable.

If it is this is good news as it is compatible with both freeview and satellite, as the cable is better at shielding interference than the old type co-ax.

GPS

Possibly an F Type connector, same 75 ohm connection but screw on instead of a push.

If your 'van is fairly new it may be wired with the better quality satellite cable as opposed to the standard co-ax, if this is the case, it will have an additional foil screen within the cable.

If it is this is good news as it is compatible with both freeview and satellite, as the cable is better at shielding interference than the old type co-ax.

GPS

Hi All

An F connector is that which is used on the back of a $kybox a knurled ferrule that encloses the cable

with a free running nut on the end that attaches to 'whatever' be it a skybox or possibly the wallplate

in question - note that the centre core is supposed to 'poke out' (technical term ;) ) a bit and should

locate into the inner of the backplate.

See http://www. satcure. co. uk/tech/fconn. htm

for a picture of an 'F connector' (very top images)

and

http://www. nexxia. co. uk/Wall_plate_Connect. ..s/NX-WM-026. jpg

for how the F plug socket would look on its own.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Yes it is and F connector. I have one on my altea 542uk and unless you have had an aftermarket aerial fitted it will be connected to a lead that terminates under the false floor of your wardrobe so that it can easily be connected to roof mounted aerial with all leads being hidden in the wardrobe. I have connect mine to a socket taking it out via the floor making it easy to connect an external aerial of super pitch TV post

Edited by wizzo

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

The F connector looks spot on and the cable does indeed go back into the wardrobe, never had the false floor bit out so I will have a look tonight, could I do somthing similar wizzo and plug an ordinary ariel into it, then plug my television into the F socket inside the van?

The F connector looks spot on and the cable does indeed go back into the wardrobe, never had the false floor bit out so I will have a look tonight, could I do somthing similar wizzo and plug an ordinary ariel into it, then plug my television into the F socket inside the van?

Hi There

I have also seen these connectors wired into caravans as a prewire for entertainment systems. The leads terminate where the radio sits, so that you can wire an 'in dash' DVD player instead of the CD/Radio.

It might be a satellite/TV signal or this - I dont know but you can find out by where the lead terminates.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Yes that's exactly what I have done. and so you can use an ordinary tv aerial lead in the van you can use one of these

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/F-Plug-to-Coax-Femal. ..34. c0. m14. l1262

BTW the cable used on my van is indeed satellite quality and is more than up to the job!

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

Spot on Wizzo, neat coil of co-ax with no plug on behind the fire under the wardrobe floor.

Spot on Wizzo, neat coil of co-ax with no plug on behind the fire under the wardrobe floor.

Typical continental set-up. You can withdraw the cable and connect it to an external connector box, this allows the connection of a satellite dish or TV aerial.