Challenger 580 Layout

My wife has been fancying an island bed on a single axle and after awaiting the new 580 we were disappointed with the layout compared to the layout on the Coachman 545 VIP and one of the Lunar single axles.

We find the 580 very tight in the middle due to the shower/ washroom filling out the centre of the van.

The Coachman has a shower cubicle on one side in front of the island bed and a toilet/washbasin on the other side. When sitting in the front end of the van this layout seems more open in the middle.

Any chance of this layout in a future Swift ?? The overall lengths are virtually the same.

My wife has been fancying an island bed on a single axle and after awaiting the new 580 we were disappointed with the layout compared to the layout on the Coachman 545 VIP and one of the Lunar single axles.

We find the 580 very tight in the middle due to the shower/ washroom filling out the centre of the van.

The Coachman has a shower cubicle on one side in front of the island bed and a toilet/washbasin on the other side. When sitting in the front end of the van this layout seems more open in the middle.

Any chance of this layout in a future Swift ?? The overall lengths are virtually the same.

I'd buy that model too, or indeed the new Challenger layout that apes the Senator California layout, if it were available as a Conqueror. Now that would be very nice!

Any chance Swift?

I did look at the Coachman 545 VIP at the NEC last October, but I found the seating at the front a tad short for me.

Martin ;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

I'd buy that model too, or indeed the new Challenger layout that apes the Senator California layout, if it were available as a Conqueror. Now that would be very nice!

Any chance Swift?

I did look at the Coachman 545 VIP at the NEC last October, but I found the seating at the front a tad short for me.

Martin ;)

Martin,

We enquired at the NEC as to whether there might be a Conqueror based on the new 570 and 580 layouts but were told this would be unlikely due to the additional weight of the Conqueror "bits" making them at the top end of permitted weight on a single axle.

Roger

HI Roger,

The Challenger 580 layout has done tremendously well for us since we launched it, but thats not to say we aren't always looking for new layouts and variants.

The 580 variants you suggest are alternatives we have looked at and of course if there is a demand for this we will do it.

If you don't mind Roger, I would welcome any more views on this,

Many Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Hi Martin, Roger

The issues with the Conqueror variant is the additional weight as you say, caused by the additional specification (Water tank, etc) and our policy of only fitting tyres that give a greater safety margin, this means we don't fit tyres to their limit which can put us at a commercial disadvantage but is the right thing to do.

That said we are working on this layout issue (and some other new layouts), we know this is something we want to do, so leave this one with us,

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

HI Roger,

The Challenger 580 layout has done tremendously well for us since we launched it, but thats not to say we aren't always looking for new layouts and variants.

The 580 variants you suggest are alternatives we have looked at and of course if there is a demand for this we will do it.

If you don't mind Roger, I would welcome any more views on this,

Many Thanks

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for your quick response.

I myself can,t add much more. We looked at the 580 and a Lunar today but I can,t remember the Lunar model. We just feel that after the open layout of our 540 we felt quite hemmed in in the 580 but the Coachman 545 with a slightly different slant on the island bed layout felt that bit more open in the middle.

If it was a bit more open we would be in the queue. Roll on the Lawns !!

Roger

Hi Martin, Roger

The issues with the Conqueror variant is the additional weight as you say, caused by the additional specification (Water tank, etc) and our policy of only fitting tyres that give a greater safety margin, this means we don't fit tyres to their limit which can put us at a commercial disadvantage but is the right thing to do.

That said we are working on this layout issue (and some other new layouts), we know this is something we want to do, so leave this one with us,

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the usual quick response. .............

Those new layouts sound intriguing. .......as Roger says, roll on the 2010 model year!

Martin ;)

Martin,

We enquired at the NEC as to whether there might be a Conqueror based on the new 570 and 580 layouts but were told this would be unlikely due to the additional weight of the Conqueror "bits" making them at the top end of permitted weight on a single axle.

Roger

Hi Roger

That's a real shame. I do understand the problem though, as detailed in Andy's response.

Looking forward to seeing those new layouts being worked on, as detailed in Andy's reply. ..............

Martin

I would personally like Swift to bring in an L-shaped lounge with the island bed. This would make the shorter seats on the 560 less of a problem. I find the lack of an L-shape throughout the whole Swift range rather odd. (See the Explorer group range). I want to stay with Swift but want an L-shape!!!!

Kia Sorento XS with Swift Challenger 570

Guest John KS
I would personally like Swift to bring in an L-shaped lounge with the island bed. This would make the shorter seats on the 560 less of a problem. I find the lack of an L-shape throughout the whole Swift range rather odd. (See the Explorer group range). I want to stay with Swift but want an L-shape!!!!

We had an L shape but hated it. Could not get comfortable and I understand from dealers that they are not so popular. You sit with your head in the blinds !!!

Our 560 suits us as it has all we want. We have put our own small table in the front which is removable if we want to use the larger one (which we never have) and the bathroom and bedroom area is fine.

The nose weight on the 560 is heavy enough withut adding a chest of drawers. Don't like the ones with the bathroom in the bedroom area or the ones with a wash basin in the corner, It means if one of us wants to go to bed before the other then all the oblutions can be done without disturbing the partner.

The new 580 layout is fine but it means a longer van. My hang up with all these type of vans is that manufacturers will call them 4 berths when I am sure the vast majority are sold to couples. Would rather have a couple of comfortable seats in the front instead of beds. How about that Swift. You've got at least one sale here!!!!!! :P

John, our last three (Swift Group) vans have all been L shaped fronts. We have got used to it and really love that layout. I dont agree about having your head in the blinds, in fact, i think the two parallel seats as in the 560 is more prone to this problem. That said, I really like this van and the general layout is superb. As you say, the bathroom and bedroom areas are great, could not get along with a toilet area in the corner by the bed.

I have just fitted Alko shocks and we now intend to keep this van for the foreseeable future (or until we change our minds minds!!)

Tows well and touch wood have had no major problems (should'nt have said that).

Guest John KS

Hi Trevor.

I would agree about the head in the blinds problem with the 560 if you put the TV on the unit over the fire. We put ours on the little table top in the window where the wine holes are. We also have a seat back which we have had for years which Swift made for us when OH broker her hip in the van. It fits on the end of the seat by the door so we both have somewhere to lean when watching the TV.

Would still like two seperate seats though. Had they still made the van with the two seperate beds at the back we would have bought it but could not find one at the time.

The small table is a boon which we got from O'Learys. We moved the magazine rack to the end by the door.

John, couple of good ideas there, I am particularly intrigued by your seat back idea by the door. Can you give me a few more details please ? I am pretty handy with the tools, and would appreciate any info. How does the seat back fit to the seat end and what sort of size is it? Is it permanent or do you remove it for travel etc. ?

I fitted an extra shelf above the existing tv table-top which doubles the shelf space .

Sincerely hope the OH made a full recovery.

Guest John KS

Hi Trevor

This is a bit of a tale. We had a Swift van which like the 560 did not have a seat side by the door. OH walked along the van to get something out of the cupboard at the front and turned getting her feet caught on something. She fell and grabbed the cushion that was sitting on the end. This gave way and she fell to the floor. Spent an agonising night in bed and took her hospital next morning at 6 am. Found she had shattered her hip!!! It has been replaced and she is fine now.

After the event I went to Broadlane Caravans in Alcester and told them about it and suggested that they should put something at the end of the seat. It was, apparently, their choice that nothing was put there as it was a dealer special.

To cut a long story short we received a phone call from Swift who were very concerned and they said they were making us an end and a bolster no charge!!! (This is why we buy Swift vans only)

It made all the difference to the van when we got it and we have now swapped it to our new van. Material doesn' match but who cares???

It is about half inch thick and is shaped to fit down between the cushion and the end of the seat. I am sure you could make one out of ply to fit and then laquer it to match.

Our van is in storage but I am going to it next week so will take a picture of it and let you have some measurements. Will also take a picture of the table I have put in. Both alterations have made all the difference to the van. Probably go on Tuesday. Can you PM your email address?

Edited by John KS

• 2 years later...

The 580 model does have room for improvement- the front unit/drawers are not fixed allowing either a u shaped sitting area or even a nic elarge bed. Unfortunately additional cushions will be needed but its not a bad option to have.

The newer 580s are simply out of my tow weight range so i will stick with the 2010 for now. :)

Swift Challenger580