C.c. Caravan Design Awards 2009

bigbilly

I read with interest the results of the 2009 Caravan Club Design Awards where Bailey won 4 of the 7 awards. I really don't know how these awards are viewed or rated within the industry or with caravanners.

In all of my years caravanning Bailey is one of the few makes that I have never owned yet I know there are many owners on this and other forums.

I have a reasonably large main dealer near me so perhaps is a good time to have a closer look !

Bill

Take a look at the bathroom doors on Bailey Ranger series 6, if you find one that you can actually shut the door, see if it is flush to the frame top and bottom, I was buying one in January the Dealer gave me my money back after the second one arrived that was not flush, he wanted me to pay for the caravan then put a warranty claim in, I could not believe he thought I'd be that stupid.

Bailey sent me to another dealer where in every one of the 4 Baileys on display you could not shut the Bathroom door. They got the engineer out of the workshop he removed the screws that held the frame so the door would close only to find the door was not flush at the top and the bottom, he ended up having to remove all the screws securing the toilet wall/frame to the roof and moving the fixing point leaving holes in the roof skin. To get the bottom of the door to line up he would have needed to remove the shower tray, the problem then was that the joint between the side wall and frame wall had split open which would them need sealing.

In total we'd looked at 10 Bailey rangers series 6 every one had this problem, the last contact I had with Bailey was they were passing on my information to the Factory, I have since ordered a Swift Major 5

We've just ordered a Bailey Senator California after owning Swift stable vans for over 25 years, mind you we had changed to Swift from Bailey, a Mikado. We looked at the Sterling Ruby equivalent layout to the California, didn't like the woodwork and upholstery in the Ruby plus the specification had been downgraded since we bought our last Sterling almost 3 years ago - no exterior gas barbecue connection, no heavy duty corner steadies, no Alko secure lock - plus the Bailey comes with Alko control, gas BBQ point, tracker system installed complete with 1 year dues paid, radio/cd/dvd/mp3 player, larger user payload and yet lighter MTPLM. We were very impressed with the interior design, they really have made the best use of the space available.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

I know there are lots of caravans out there with many problems and we read about them on all of the forums. My previous Swift and my current 2 year old Bessacarr have been absolute nightmares and I am looking for a change this year.

I was at a rally at the weekend and was surprised at the high number of Coachman caravans there were in proportion to the 2 big makes especially with people who use caravans a lot.

I am always sceptical of any awards as you usually just see a fair sprinkling of all available models but this C. C. design award did seem very Bailey 'top heavy' or is it bias ?

Bill

Take a look at the bathroom doors on Bailey Ranger series 6, if you find one that you can actually shut the door, see if it is flush to the frame top and bottom, I was buying one in January the Dealer gave me my money back after the second one arrived that was not flush, he wanted me to pay for the caravan then put a warranty claim in, I could not believe he thought I'd be that stupid.

Bailey sent me to another dealer where in every one of the 4 Baileys on display you could not shut the Bathroom door. They got the engineer out of the workshop he removed the screws that held the frame so the door would close only to find the door was not flush at the top and the bottom, he ended up having to remove all the screws securing the toilet wall/frame to the roof and moving the fixing point leaving holes in the roof skin. To get the bottom of the door to line up he would have needed to remove the shower tray, the problem then was that the joint between the side wall and frame wall had split open which would them need sealing.

In total we'd looked at 10 Bailey rangers series 6 every one had this problem, the last contact I had with Bailey was they were passing on my information to the Factory, I have since ordered a Swift Major 5

Hi

Had a bailey once i don't think i would have another it was only 3/4mnths old and had to go back to the factory to have the roof re-done and it just went on from there, it also had a new front panel and it was never right after that. The awards do seem a bit top heavy with baileys but i think its the way that they are put into catorgories. I now own a swift major 5 much better and seems well built compared with the ranger i know that they are more to the bottom of the range but it has everything we need in a van, and should be put together as good as anything in the top range of vans its just what they put inside that makes it different.

Dave m

We're on our third Bailey. Started with a Ranger 510L, then upped to Pageant Burgundyand now very happy with Senator Wyoming.

We like them. ...

• 3 weeks later...