Caravan Length And Normal Driving License

garymaule

hello guys

i have a 23 feet caravan which will be getting towed by car but today i was asked by a friend if you would require an upgrade to a normal driving license due to the size in question

does a normal car license still cover towing a 23ft caravan guys

thanks

Gary

hello guys

i have a 23 feet caravan which will be getting towed by car but today i was asked by a friend if you would require an upgrade to a normal driving license due to the size in question

does a normal car license still cover towing a 23ft caravan guys

thanks

Gary

It depends on what you mean by a normal licence. Any limitation is done on weight. If you passed your driving test before 1 Jan 1997, you are ok. If you passed it after that date, then you have a B licence and are limited to a total train weight of 3500kg, i. e. max weight of tow vehicle and max weight of caravan added together

Brian

Edited by BrianI

It depends on what you mean by a normal licence. Any limitation is done on weight. If you passed your driving test before 1 Jan 1997, you are ok. If you passed it after that date, then you have a B licence and are limited to a total tarin weight of 3500kg, i. e. max weight of tow vehicle and max weight of caravan added together

Brian

thanks brian for the info

was going to let the stepson tow this at some point but now its a no go

cheers

gary