Alco Hitch And New Towbar Fitted To Vectra C

garymaule

hello guys i have lts of questions regarding the caravan i just bought

here is the first if anyone can help its appreciated

i have a 04 plate vectra which i just had a towbar fitted by (Buchans for towbars) based in cambuslang near glasgow

guys the question i have are these towbars compatable with Al-Ko hitches

i'm sure i read somewhere that you have to have the correct towball fitted for Al-Ko hitches

is this the case or should i be ok

just that i seen aomewhere that if you have the wrong towball the caravan could pop off it

thanks

gary

Hi Gary, nice choice of car, i myself have a modded 2. 2 DTi elite, very fast LOL . ......... Anyway

if you have an AKS, i would recommend that you lose the standard 50mm ball that most towbar places fit and replace it with the Alko one as it is ofers more of a turning circle and won,t cause damage to your bracket/ AKS

hello guys i have lts of questions regarding the caravan i just bought

here is the first if anyone can help its appreciated

i have a 04 plate vectra which i just had a towbar fitted by (Buchans for towbars) based in cambuslang near glasgow

guys the question i have are these towbars compatable with Al-Ko hitches

i'm sure i read somewhere that you have to have the correct towball fitted for Al-Ko hitches

is this the case or should i be ok

just that i seen aomewhere that if you have the wrong towball the caravan could pop off it

thanks

gary

Hi Again

You don't say what type of ball you have (swan neck/flange type)

If it is the swan neck type you will be fine, if it is the flange type,

just make sure it has the extended neck, to account for the alko

fitting

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

The only tow ball that is not compatible is the bolt on type with a short stubby neck section as it does not allow full angulation of the hitch. All others should be suitable. Download the Ak-ko data sheet for info

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/support-aks. asp

Click on the "correct use of towballs" link

Brian

many thanks guys for your quick replies . .......i've nipped out and took a photo of the towbar

guys is this the standard one. .....would i need to go back and get a swan neck one

thanks guys

Gary

Gary,

Have a look at this link

http://www. towsure. com/category/7187-Towballs_and_Pins

The first tow ball is the standard bolt on towball

The second one has an extended neck section suitable for Al-Ko hitches

In each case the ball diameter is the same.

I presume from this you can see what you have got

Brian

guys i dug out the reciept for £300 for thisand it says 50mm towball so its back the the towbar centre for me to have this upgraded

thanks for your help guys i'm just glad i asked about this before taking the caravan out with the kids in the car incase anything happened

super dooper advice and help cheers

gary

guys sorry for being a dump ass but are all towballs 50mm

i've just read through the posts again and now i'm a wee bit baffled

is it possible to email a member with a photo i took of my towbar so that they can view the picture and let me know for sure

if its the standard one i have

thanks

gary

Good motor, same block as mine, much better than than the cdti's

trade tech

off topic

one of the guys at work who has a cdti said his car was superior to mine . ....hey i did not care but now that you've mentioned it could you let me know why ours DTI are better than CDTI LoL so i can wind him up

he also said the vectra c has a saab 93 chasis

cheers

Gary

the cdti engine i s built by fiat, the DTi engine anit as fast, but much much more reliable, the cdti engine suffers from swirl pot issues and dual mass fly wheell probs, night mare

Stick with the DTI ive ran two vecs on this engine for 11 yrs

All (modern) towballs are 50mm

Give them a call on Monday morning, and they should be able to advise if the towball they fitted is compatible with Alko stabiliser hitches.

If its the flanged type, all that is needed is to swap it for one an extended neck. But as these are more expensive, towbar fitters, use the standard `short` towball unless asked otherwise.

Garymaule

I have found Buchans to be quite good and it will not be a problem to fit new ball if required

they usually ask if its a caravan you will be towing and if you require the extended neck

If you have just had it put on recently and it still has the black coating on it they should just charge the

difference in price between the two.

They also said to come back every year and they will check torque setting on towball free of charge.

Tommy G

VW Tiguan 140 Manual Sterling Europa 470 Fixed Bed 06

• 2 weeks later...
Garymaule

I have found Buchans to be quite good and it will not be a problem to fit new ball if required

they usually ask if its a caravan you will be towing and if you require the extended neck

If you have just had it put on recently and it still has the black coating on it they should just charge the

difference in price between the two.

They also said to come back every year and they will check torque setting on towball free of charge.

Tommy G

guys i went back to buchans and they charged me another £21 pound to change the towball

i complained to the lady about this

reason being i was quoted £300 for the towbar to get fitted but said to the sales guy another place in glasgow was offering to do the job for £220 which was true but the sales guy said they would be fitting an inferour towbar

then he offered me £30 off so i went ahead and got them to fit it

at this point i was not even asked what type of towball would be required. .......i thought a standard towball did any caravan and was not aware of the Al-Ko type

upon paying again i asked for my old towball back as i had already paid for it just incase in the future i change caravans and and the lady gave me a peed off look and then said ye thats a good idea

i won't be going back to buchan's in the future

just my personal opinion of them

gary

guys i went back to buchans and they charged me another £21 pound to change the towball

That sounds about right for the cost of the alko towball.

As I said before if you don't ask for an alko, they will fit a standard towball, as it will cost them less than a fiver.