Small Crack In Aluminum

adam0303

Hi All

I have a compass omega and have notice a small crack in the top right corner of the door possibly a stress crack but it hasnt come apart and hasnt spread further, i was wondering if anyone else has see this problem in aluminum and how i can fix it caravan is a top notch one only worth about £1k so dont want to go silly just want to rectify it to stop anymore splitting and seal it as well.

Cheers

Adam

Its a good idea to drill a hole at the end of a stress crack to prevent it going any further, (it dissipates the pressure)

Could you get any silicon sealer to cover it?

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If your van is only worth 1K then my advice is to just seal it with some silicone. I know some here would say that it attacks the aluminium but its a simple repair that will last for years (speaking from experience!!). Also if the crack is actually on the door and not on the door frame then i have never seen a stress fracture here. It may just have been the door catching in a strong wind which cracked it. Steve's advice above is good advice if it is a stress fracture and wont do any harm if it is not.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I have an old syringe for ink cartridges do you think i should bother injecting some epoxy underneath, my brother in law said he can get me some adhesive sealant which he uses to put on lorry trailers on aluminium sheeting do you think that is worth a try, the crack looks old though its difficult to tell.

I have an old syringe for ink cartridges do you think i should bother injecting some epoxy underneath, my brother in law said he can get me some adhesive sealant which he uses to put on lorry trailers on aluminium sheeting do you think that is worth a try, the crack looks old though its difficult to tell.

If the product is used on aluminium then you could give it a try. However a little caution here - some epoxy stuff will melt the styrofoam/styrene insulation between the van walls. Be careful that this does not happen or else the door will be weaker and that area will be prone to condensation.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5