Tow Car

willow

Hi, can anyone offer any advise please,

I have an avondale argente 640 and have recently purchased a mercedes V class 280 V6 automatic as a tow car, i put the car through the towcar wbsite and picked a similar model and the information came backl its a good match.

I have yet to put a tow bar on the merc and before doing so, wanted to know if the merc will tow the argente as she seems to struggle up hills at the moment without the caravan at the moment any ideas or suggestions.

thank you

Guest tyke65

If the Merc struggles up hills without the van it will surely have real problems with it. It sounds as though there could be a problem with the Merc, which needs to be checked out. Did you buy the Merc privately? What year etc is it?

If the Merc struggles up hills without the van it will surely have real problems with it. It sounds as though there could be a problem with the Merc, which needs to be checked out. Did you buy the Merc privately? What year etc is it?

hi yes private sale, going to be changing the spark plugs over the weekend and see if that helps. ........... 1999 v reg. ............

The old V class didn't have Mercs top engines, the 280 only had 175bhp and 175lbft which is hardly breath taking for a V6 and it is a very big vehicle based on commercial running gear.

Saying that it shouldn't struggle up hills, it may need some revs but should still maintain speed.

The V class is known for having many auto gearbox problems. Is it an Auto and if so is it shifting correctly?

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

hi, thanks for the help, found a bodge job on the rev cable, have increased a bit myself but will be going in to have a proper job next week.

Hi there we tow our Bailey Senator Arizona with our Mercedes Vito van, which is only a 2 litre petrol automatic.

It will it pull happily, even up hills.

So I think you may have more of an issue with the V class itself, rather than it's suitablility as a tow car.

Good Luck

Regards

Carl

My Outfit

2007 Mondeo ST TDCi Estate & 2002 Bailey Senator Arizona

Hi there we tow our Bailey Senator Arizona with our Mercedes Vito van, which is only a 2 litre petrol automatic.

It will it pull happily, even up hills.

So I think you may have more of an issue with the V class itself, rather than it's suitablility as a tow car.

Good Luck

Carl thanks

you have helped put my mind at ease somewhat,

When you towed up hill did you have to use the low gears or did you remain in drive.

hope that makes sense!!

cheers