Brake Seizing

Big Tim

Hi Folks

Just about to pull our Bailey Senator up our steeply sloping drive for the first time - we've just enlarged drive to enable 'van to fit. My 21 year old son pushed against handbrake rather than pushing it off - he was used to our old 'van which had a ratchet release button. When handbrake was released one of the caravan wheels has siezed solid. Caravan will roll back but will not pull forward. When the handbrake lever is applied it now goes vertical - it was previously at a much more gradual angle. The brakes had new linings and drums at the end of August - hardly used since then.

Any advice please - we were just leaving for our 10 day Easter break and we're absolutely gutted as needed it badly after recent difficult time of family illness.

I've phoned the only mobile engineer I could find locally, we're in St Helens Merseyside, but the earliest he could come is next Thursday!!!

Help!!!!

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

Are you saying the van rolls backwards with the hand brake applied?

I'm assuming you have an 'over centre' sprung hand brake.

With this type of mechanism the hand brake comes up about 45 degrees when applied normally, when the van is mover backwards the auto-reverse system releases the brakes and the hand brake lever then moves to the vertical position to re-apply the brakes.

I doubt if there is anything wrong other than maybe an over adjusted brake.

Edited by geriatric

No - sorry I'm not very technical

Brake holds 'van still on the slope but when released 'van will roll back but right wheel locks and does not turn when try to pull 'van forward.

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

Are you trying to pull the van by hand or with a tow car?

It takes quite a bit of effort to overcome the auto-reverse mechanism to re-position the brake shoes.

The wheel that is locking is most likely slightly over adjusted.

Edited by geriatric

Pulling with the Kia Sorrento. It has made a foot long skid mark along our newly paved drive!!!

Tim

Hi Geratric. Thanks for trying to assist I tried several times. I released and re-engaged handbrake and let 'van roll back. Brake has not released and felt continuing was unlikely to help 'van, car or drive!!

If the brakes were adjusted with the auto-reverse activated I would expect them both to lock when trying to move forward.

Maybe one side is sufficiently different to allow rotation. I would certainly get brake adjustment checked.

The only reason that I can think of that would cause this to happen if you were previously towing normally is that one end of the bowden cable has slipped from the recess when the hand brake was moved thus taking up slack that should normally exist. It is quite normal for the hand brake lever to move upwards when the wheels rotate backwards. The energy store is taking up the gap caused by the auto-reverse mechanism moving the shoes away from the drums.

Sorry I can't explain it better, but I doubt if the problem is a major one unless the person replacing the brake shoes didn't do the job properly.

Edited by geriatric

Thanks for the advice Geriatric.

Now I just need a mobile caravan engineer. The only one found so far is not free until next Thursday.

Thanks again

Tim

I'm used to doing all my own servicing so I'm confident about adjusting my brakes. I've worked on both single and double axle trailers, stripping down and replacing auto-reverse mechanisms and shoes. Do you have breakdown cover? - Maybe they would check the brakes for you.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by geriatric

Just been and sorted Tim's brake fault out in the most wettest of weather, it wasnt the brakes at fault but they were stuck on, can you guess what it was ???

Come on then, spill :rolleyes:

Bailey Ranger 510/4

& Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1. 9TDI

Various010-1.jpgmedia3_cropped-4.jpg

motor mover maybe :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi

It's me - Tim the man with the brake problem. I'm very grateful that Steve turned up just as promised and despite heavy rain fixed the brake problem in about an hour. It was none of the things suggested before or after the event but I need to chat to a few people before I say more about this. I'd be grateful if Steve could keep "stum" too for now.

I'll let you in on the secret asap.

On a general point for all those who live in the North West of England I would RECOMMEND STEVE VERY HIGHLY. Prompt, courteous, knowledgeable and reasonable charges.

Regards

Tim

Did you forget to remove your Alko Wheel Lock. :mellow:

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

Did you forget to remove your Alko Wheel Lock. :mellow:

Brianinhull

Thanks for that Brian!!

I'm not quite that bad yet, even though the Alko wheel lock is a bit stiff at times. LOL

Sorry no more information until tomorrow and that's only if Cary does not make me leave for our, delayed hols at the crack of dawn.

Regards

Tim

Just been and sorted Tim's brake fault out in the most wettest of weather, it wasnt the brakes at fault but they were stuck on, can you guess what it was ???

Wheel-wedge jamming the handbrake cable?????????????????????

IT WASN'T ME at all (makes a change!!)

The problem was caused by the ATC which, I had had retrofitted last June by CMI's Alko agent. The ATC push bar had pulled out and caused the brakes to sieze on. The brakes were actually fine and generally set up well.

I'll be saying more when I return from hols next week but I need to get going as I've just had the okay from Alko's Alan Saunders and the assurance that it won't happen again. He has spoken to Steve and is happy that he has adjusted the ATC correctly.

What I find VERY WORRYING was that the ATC warning light indicated that it was working properly!!!!

Anyway I'm off for my belated hols.

Regards

Tim

Ah - didn't mention ATC. I knew it was something that had shifted and jammed, That's why I asked if Bowden cable outer had shifted.

Well done Steve {Tradetech} good job you stayed.

Edited by geriatric

Active Trailer Control, technology that operates brakes when excessive movement is felt by onboard gizmo, prevents snaking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.