Great Service Discover Leisure And Ats - Kwik-fit Try To Rip Me Off

Discover Good

We went for our 1st weekend away two weekends ago to check out the caravan and awning, stayed just outside York and had a great time but unfortunately our new awning was missing a few poles so I had to nip across to Discover, they were great gave me the poles I needed without question and apologised. It was late Saturday so I left it to Sunday before I tried again once I put the Awning up I was concerned it was a little to small. So I asked a few of the more experienced Caravaners around and everybody felt that it would just about do but it might be a problem on an uneven pitch. I didn't pay all that money for something that would just do so I took it back. No arguments from Discover they took it back and I've just had delivered to my home a new awning the next size up.

You can usually tell how good a firm is when something goes wrong and I just want to tell everybody the Staff in the Discover accessory shop York were BRILLIANT. Well done to them, excellent service I recommended them to you all.

Kwik-Fit Bad

We are away next week (Stanwix park) and my spare was flat. So off I went yesterday to the Morley branch of Kwik-fit.

The man behind the counter said "Would you like me to have a quick look at your vehicle and make sure everything else is ok".

I said ok, then he said "Looking from here your two front tires are nearly bald".

We were in the office and my car was parked outside 2 bays away on the other side of the garage entrance (do you think he had superman eyesight).

Anyway I left it with him and went to work. Got a call 3 hours later "Your spares got a hole in it's side wall and is unrepairable and 3 of your tyres are bald" . So of I went up!

there was nothing wrong with 2 of the tires and the other 2 are just getting to the wear bars but are well within the legal limit, they will need replacing in a few months but they are more than legal and are definitely not bald!

The hole in the spare was one and a half inches away from the side wall. When I pointed this out to him said that he would repair it for £15 but only as a cash job with no paper work!

I obviously wouldn't trust him to polish my car never mind fix a tyre on a car that I was going to carry my family in. So I said I didn't do cash jobs asked him to put the spare back. I had to tell him not to use the air gun on the spare wheel ratchet because they brake the gearing and he looked at me as if I was an idiot.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I don't recommend Kwik-Fit

ATS Tyres GOOD

So I went across the road to Morley ATS they used a hand ratchet on the spare wheel mechanism, fixed the spare in 10 minutes and told me that my back two tyres will need replacing soon but they have a few months life on them yet!

Charged me £10 and gave me a reciept.

For an honest service I definitely recommend ATS if you need your Tyres repairing or replacing

Just for the avoidance of doubt I have no connection to any of the above businesses just thought I'd share my experiences with you all.

Discover Good

We went for our 1st weekend away two weekends ago to check out the caravan and awning, stayed just outside York and had a great time but unfortunately our new awning was missing a few poles so I had to nip across to Discover, they were great gave me the poles I needed without question and apologised. It was late Saturday so I left it to Sunday before I tried again once I put the Awning up I was concerned it was a little to small. So I asked a few of the more experienced Caravaners around and everybody felt that it would just about do but it might be a problem on an uneven pitch. I didn't pay all that money for something that would just do so I took it back. No arguments from Discover they took it back and I've just had delivered to my home a new awning the next size up.

You can usually tell how good a firm is when something goes wrong and I just want to tell everybody the Staff in the Discover accessory shop York were BRILLIANT. Well done to them, excellent service I recommended them to you all.

Kwik-Fit Bad

We are away next week (Stanwix park) and my spare was flat. So off I went yesterday to the Morley branch of Kwik-fit.

The man behind the counter said "Would you like me to have a quick look at your vehicle and make sure everything else is ok".

I said ok, then he said "Looking from here your two front tires are nearly bald".

We were in the office and my car was parked outside 2 bays away on the other side of the garage entrance (do you think he had superman eyesight).

Anyway I left it with him and went to work. Got a call 3 hours later "Your spares got a hole in it's side wall and is unrepairable and 3 of your tyres are bald" . So of I went up!

there was nothing wrong with 2 of the tires and the other 2 are just getting to the wear bars but are well within the legal limit, they will need replacing in a few months but they are more than legal and are definitely not bald!

The hole in the spare was one and a half inches away from the side wall. When I pointed this out to him said that he would repair it for £15 but only as a cash job with no paper work!

I obviously wouldn't trust him to polish my car never mind fix a tyre on a car that I was going to carry my family in. So I said I didn't do cash jobs asked him to put the spare back. I had to tell him not to use the air gun on the spare wheel ratchet because they brake the gearing and he looked at me as if I was an idiot.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I don't recommend Kwik-Fit

ATS Tyres GOOD

So I went across the road to Morley ATS they used a hand ratchet on the spare wheel mechanism, fixed the spare in 10 minutes and told me that my back two tyres will need replacing soon but they have a few months life on them yet!

Charged me £10 and gave me a reciept.

For an honest service I definitely recommend ATS if you need your Tyres repairing or replacing

Just for the avoidance of doubt I have no connection to any of the above businesses just thought I'd share my experiences with you all.

we use ats for work and i find them okay, have you been to tyres and exhaust near asda in morley we use them too £10 again for a puncture.

mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

we use ats for work and i find them okay, have you been to tyres and exhaust near asda in morley we use them too £10 again for a puncture.

mike

For those in the area, Tyres and Exhausts opp the Asda in Morley are excellent, my whole family have been using them for several years, the owner is a freind of my sister, he is also a caravanner i believe, a good honest company that will not rip you off in any way, that is how the owner runs his business and has so many repeat customers, quite refreshing in this day and age i think.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Hi,

It was Kwik fit that fitted an unsuitable tyre to my caravan, later doscovered by Barron's service department, so I went back and complained. Apparently it was my fault for not telling them that it was for a caravan. Fair enough I suppose but I didn't think it was worth mentioning the fact seeing as they took it off the 'van which was attatched to the car!

One red face later they replaced the tyre which was fair enough.

I recently had a puncture on the car which wrote off the tyre so I went to Kwik fit on a Sunday and they wouldn't price match the internet price of £120 and wanted to charge £160, after telling me that no one else would price match. I really needed the tyre so I rang National Tyres who did price match and I was £40 better off and Kwik fit have lost a customer,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

For those in the area, Tyres and Exhausts opp the Asda in Morley are excellent, my whole family have been using them for several years, the owner is a freind of my sister, he is also a caravanner i believe, a good honest company that will not rip you off in any way, that is how the owner runs his business and has so many repeat customers, quite refreshing in this day and age i think.

Phil.

Thanks Mike and Phil I will bear that in mind next time. To be honest it wasn't the £5 price difference that bothered me it was that Kwik-fit were trying to con me into buying 4 new tyres when at the most I will need to replace 2 in a few months time. This would mean that if I listened to them I would be chucking two half warn tyres (no doubt somebody would be selling them on to get a little bit more in there back pocket).

The tyres are £150 each so changing 2 half warn tyres would have cost me an extra £150 in the long run. In my mind he was trying to cheat me out of £150 no doubt they are on commission and of course if I didn't know a little bit about cars he might have succeeded. When I didn't fall for his lies he then tried to line his own pocket with £15 of course I might be wrong but I can't see him declaring it to Kwik-fit or the tax man.

Kwik-Fit have always been sharp on sales which I've not got a problem with, business is business. If he had said the tyres need will need changing soon then that would have been ok with me but he didn't he tried to con me with lies.

Sorry for being blunt but I'm sure if that was somebodies granny then he would have sold the tyres without a care of who he was conning. Besides if Kwik-Fit think I'm lying they can always sue me (I have a witness :-).

Thanks Mike and Phil I will bear that in mind next time. To be honest it wasn't the £5 price difference that bothered me it was that Kwik-fit were trying to con me into buying 4 new tyres when at the most I will need to replace 2 in a few months time. This would mean that if I listened to them I would be chucking two half warn tyres (no doubt somebody would be selling them on to get a little bit more in there back pocket).

The tyres are £150 each so changing 2 half warn tyres would have cost me an extra £150 in the long run. In my mind he was trying to cheat me out of £150 no doubt they are on commission and of course if I didn't know a little bit about cars he might have succeeded. When I didn't fall for his lies he then tried to line his own pocket with £15 of course I might be wrong but I can't see him declaring it to Kwik-fit or the tax man.

Kwik-Fit have always been sharp on sales which I've not got a problem with, business is business. If he had said the tyres need will need changing soon then that would have been ok with me but he didn't he tried to con me with lies.

Sorry for being blunt but I'm sure if that was somebodies granny then he would have sold the tyres without a care of who he was conning. Besides if Kwik-Fit think I'm lying they can always sue me (I have a witness :-).

When I worked in the motor trade I was pretty pally with a Kwik fit branch manager and he told me that it was company policy to try to extract an average of £350 per punter, whatever it was they went in for.

On the other hand I also got pally with the guys at my local branch of ATS and to this day have never done business with anyone else, regardless of price. I trust them and don't mind if I have to pay a few quid more for tyres, punctures are always fixed cheap (or free) and advice is always impartial.

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.

A few years back there was an documentary on dodgy practise that featured kwik fit. From what i can remember, it was the performance drive from management that meant that the service centres were doing poor/unnecessary work to meet their targets.

My local kwik fit used to be terrible - constantly telling you of the need for new tyres when it did not need it and being pushy at telling you for the need for alignment of steering when it clearly did not!!

Now they are quite good and inexpensive, though this might be the local service centre manager doing the two fingered salute to his boss's targets.

I quite agree with ATS, I have never had an issue with this company and they have always treated me right, whatever centre i have been in.

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Hi,

It was Kwik fit that fitted an unsuitable tyre to my caravan, later doscovered by Barron's service department, so I went back and complained. Apparently it was my fault for not telling them that it was for a caravan. Fair enough I suppose but I didn't think it was worth mentioning the fact seeing as they took it off the 'van which was attatched to the car!

. ..

Regards,

Ian.

You know when you are right on top of something and you can't see it? Well maybe the kwik-fit man never noticed the Caravan - maybe you should have banged his head into it - then he might have realised that it was a Caravan - Honestly Ian !

Had me larfing out loud this one . ....

Cheers

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

Kwitfit HHMMM fitted a new exhaust to my mother in laws car, wrong one, she went to the boot and because it protruded so far it cut her shins to ribbons.

"You're tyres are 50% worn and so are you're break pads"........am I right in thinking there is still 50% left ???????????? or 25% at least :angry: :angry: :angry:

I use ETB or ATS they are excellent.

Edited by ROBH

2018 Kia Sorento.            Elddis Capiro 554.