Sangatte - Be Vigilant!

One of our mates who spends the year touring Europe stayed on the former Municipal at Sangatte last weekend, the 26th time he has done so ( now in private hands)...at 0430 his van was entered quietly not awaking him, after a search for car keys and money, we presume,they left and smashed the car window stealing the radio. ..opening the side door they slashed a number of large wine boxes which filled the floor wells!

The adjoining van had also been 'visited'..................local police gave a Gallic shrug and said 'ah another one!'........

Beware. ............especially of foreigners with Stanley knives!

rgds

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

One of our mates who spends the year touring Europe stayed on the former Municipal at Sangatte last weekend, the 26th time he has done so ( now in private hands)...at 0430 his van was entered quietly not awaking him, after a search for car keys and money, we presume,they left and smashed the car window stealing the radio. ..opening the side door they slashed a number of large wine boxes which filled the floor wells!

The adjoining van had also been 'visited'..................local police gave a Gallic shrug and said 'ah another one!'........

Beware. ............especially of foreigners with Stanley knives!

rgds

geoff

I'm sure that the locals in that region are capable of such acts as well. But in view of the letter carried in the CC magazine last month where similar thefts occured at Chateau des grandspettes, it is a worrying trend.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

locals in that region are capable of such acts as well

Sorry Jonathan. ..I was including French as foreigners as well. ....not just intending immigrants!

cheers

geoff

p. s. re-reading your note later Jonathan. ...funny I lost some bottles of expensive wine in Grandspettes two years ago and was parked right down bottom of site. ..didn't realise till got home they were gone from car boot. .I had 'blamed' the tenters behind us but it could be 'vistors' as above!

Edited by shipbroker

• 2 weeks later...

Right here goes. ...........

I have spend weekend with my amigo. ...

Site was -Camp Municipal Noires Mottes. Sangatte

Method of entry,his van, levered side window then opened door from inside!.....Clothes etc searched for money/car keys not found. Car broken into ( after trying to open with screwdriver on side locks window then smashed)....nothing to take so slashed a number of wine boxes which flooded the car wells. ...still smells heavily.

The adjoining caravan again separate bedroom, again levered side window at front adjoining door, found car keys which they used to open it. ....took money and cards from glove locker (silly place) sat-nav,phone, all their driving spectacles etc:

In neither case did occupants awake whilst vans being searched. ..time of break-in around 04. 30.

Site helpful but powerless. ..the gates do electronically close at 11pm but a side entrance allows pedestrians in!

Police. ....who did it? ' almost certainly a gang of French Nationals' they even believe they know who they are but unable to prove to date. ...not illegal immigrants! So right there JonathanM!

So again be vigilant

geoff.

. .....I probably would awake first noise as I usually do. ..in this case the man had driven over 300 miles and had put himself in the bedroom with door closed. ...it is not known if noxious substances had been taken internally!

cheers

geoff

. .....I probably would awake first noise as I usually do. ..in this case the man had driven over 300 miles and had put himself in the bedroom with door closed. ...it is not known if noxious substances had been taken internally!

cheers

geoff

I know after long drives I've slept the sleep of the dead, and often wear ear plugs on overnighters/transit sites to aviod being disturbed. Perhaps I'll change that practice and suffer the fatigue instead!

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

I can't say I would be too keen to stay in that immediate area. I would rather stay at Bien Assise.

Regards
Ian

I have normally stayed a fair way away from the ports but last year in was Grandspette. ..but that now has difficulties of its own!

rgds

geoff

I can't say I would be too keen to stay in that immediate area. I would rather stay at Bien Assise.

Nice Site, going again this year

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Have not been to Bien Assise myself. .......mental note for next time there. .thanks

geoff

Which has had similar problems although described as "one-off" by the owners.

Depending on your direction of travel the Municipal at Arques (St. Omer) is clean, cheap and French. ... link here Camping Arques or Camping St Louis at Autingues just of the D943 (old N43) between Calais and St Omer.