I want to replace my 10W downlighters with LEDs, but I note on e bay they give dire warnings about powering them from electronic power supplies. I assume on my van (2008) the 12V is from the battery, and when on an electric hookup the power supply in the van is acting as a charger only and the supply to the bulbs is still pure DC? Any comments?

Any recent good deals on them? they seem to vary a lot in price. Mine are MR11

Chris

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

It's probably worth paying a bit more and getting lamps with a wider voltage tolerance (some have inbuilt voltage stabilisers and will work up to 24v) -

You will have to ensure that any you buy will withstand the 13. 8v when the vans charger is on and possibly a bit more if you inadvertantly leave them on and use a multistage charger which can get up to 14:8v

I got some for my boat a few years ago when they were the forefront of technology and bloody expensive (£20 each), but they wouldn't withstand the elevated voltage (14. 4) when the engine was running - so they died.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I bought my first leds from the usa 6 yrs ago as they had the rectified type, its only the very old type leds you will have a problem with.

I've replaced these with the new generation smt led's from www. atenlighting. co. uk these are much better than the old type, warm for background lighting & the blue light for reading lamps

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hava a look at these:

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/Bailey-Caravan-12v-A. ..1QQcmdZViewItem

I got mine from here and they work beautifully. Very good quality bulb at a good price and the seller knows his stuff, just read the whole page, it should tell you most of what you need to know.

The colour of the light is much whiter than the original halogen bulbs and closer to daylight, some people see it as more 'clinical' but I find it better to read by.

Have a search around this forum, others have asked much the same question as yours and you may find more answers there. :D

Have Bailey - Will Travel

Guest madrat

I replaced my 10w halogen with LED's from C. A. K. Next day they went back It was so dull in the van compared to halogen bulbs. What was wrong with 12v fluorescent lights??

Thanks Paulus i have just ordered one from them to try. fluorescent lights were great on my old van, but I wanted to keep to the modern style as fitted and not to mess around with a new van.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

• 2 weeks later...
Hava a look at these:

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/Bailey-Caravan-12v-A. ..1QQcmdZViewItem

I got mine from here and they work beautifully. Very good quality bulb at a good price and the seller knows his stuff, just read the whole page, it should tell you most of what you need to know.

There seems to be a bit of a discrepency in the specification, which I have emailed the seller about. He quotes the ouput of the LED lamps at 20 lumens, about the same as a 6 to 10w Halogen lamp. Most places which mention the lumens output of Halogen suggest a figure of around 20 to 45 lumens >per watt<, so a 10 watt lamps output will be around 200 to 450 lumens in total.

I was interested in maybe replacing my 10w bayonet lamps with these LED's, the diamentions suggest they should just fit into the fitting nicely, but I'm a bit concerned about the lumens output in the specification.

The suggestions are they are brighter - can anyone confirm this?

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

The only advice I can offer is in my my earlier post (& from experiance), in that the new generation SMT led's are much better than the old type

& I've got the tee shirt :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)