Acdi And Twin Axles In France

Hi

we are going to France in mid June for a couple fo weeks and aiming for the Cherbourg Peninsula, although happy to move south to find the sun!

We have a Bailey Wyoming, around 26 foot shipping length. Are sites usually happy to take larger caravans - any experiences?

Guest John KS

When we had a twin a few years ago we did get a few funny looks. You may find it best to books ahead informing them you have a twin axle. We have gone back to single as we found the twin too big for touring. I think if you were towing with a van you wouldn't be accepted but you should be OK with a Sorento. Most sites don't like them because they chew up the pitches.

Many municipal and other sites in France do not accept twin axels. They even have a special sign to inform you that twin axels are not accepted. This is because itinerant workers or "Les Nomads" use twin axle vans. This ban is quite common.

A friend tows a twin axle and he either rings the site ahead to ask or parks up and walks in and asks the owners - never had a problem yet. The sign seems to be there so that they can say "no" to itinerants vans etc.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

I agree entirely with JanB; ring ahead,"No problem", or 'Pas de probleme'.

By the way what is the French for twin-axle? The best I've come up with is 'double essieu'. I am sure that at least one of you can improve on that!

Regards,

Alan

Senator Wyoming and Grand Cherokee 3. 0 CRD Overland

By the way what is the French for twin-axle? The best I've come up with is 'double essieu'. I am sure that at least one of you can improve on that!

quatre roues ??

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

The sign seems to be there so that they can say "no" to itinerants vans etc.

Hi I have the same caravan, and have done most of France, yes the The sign is offten displayed, but gives the owner the choice of turning you away, once they can see your are a tourist no problem. ...... but be aware at 8 meter long some are not welcome in the high season, if the camp site has small pitchs. ..... I alway go for camp site that suggest there pitches are 10 sqm. ...... travel out of mid July to mid August. .... then see Camping Cheques web site. .... can follow links to camp site own web. ..... and can email re twin axle from the web site. ..... may be I'm lucky but in the last 6 years of having 6-9 weeks trips traveling around France never had a problem. Hi Silver Away

Double essieux. ....plural B)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Beejay; we have been away in Marlborough most of April, and we had a new kitchen fitted last week. Hence I have been unable to reply to you before.

Regards,

Alan

Senator Wyoming and Grand Cherokee 3. 0 CRD Overland

I havnt been to France with the caravan recently but when I used to visit, we noticed the sign saying no to twin axles but the site actually had plenty of twin axle vans on it. ....................suppose if you phone in advance then no problem

I havnt been to France with the caravan recently but when I used to visit, we noticed the sign saying no to twin axles but the site actually had plenty of twin axle vans on it. ....................suppose if you phone in advance then no problem

We have always taken our twin axle 'vans to France, Spain, Belguim and Holland, but we always pre-book and have never been refused. I know a few sites that do not take them, but that is only because the pitches are too small. So when you book just make sure that you tell them the length of your van and you will not have a problem.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.