How Can I Repair Surface Damage To Front Fibreglass Panel?

My 2007 Abbey Vogue 600 has damage to the front fibreglass panel. The top surface layer is missing from an area roughly the size of a finger nail, I can see the fibreglass underneath. I would like to repair this but my dealer estimated £200 for this repair which sounds outrageous! Can I repair this myself?

It probably needs a little filler and then a top coat, the colour is a bright white. Can I use regular automotive filler or something else suitable for fibreglass? Does anyone know where I can buy matching paint? Or is this incredibly difficult and I should to get it done professionally?

I don't know when this happened but guess that a large stone / rock in transit caused this.

Thanks in advance.

This is the product I use to repair the Gelcoat on my boat Evercoat you can get it from boat chandlers, mix the colour pigments until you get a match with the caravan, then mix it with the gelcoat. If you know some one who smokes ask them to give you the plastic wrapper from the cigarette packet, thats ideal for putting over the gelcoat to get the smooth finish as show in the video in my last posting.

It a very easy job to do if you follow the instructions have fun. :D

Edited by Elm6

I have a small area of damage at the front of our caravan (long story :angry: ) but I put a Yorkshire rose sticker over it, I appreciate a Yorkshire rose might not be good for you :D but would a gas warning sticker etc cover it

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

This is the product I use to repair the Gelcoat on my boat Evercoat you can get it from boat chandlers, mix the colour pigments until you get a match with the caravan, then mix it with the gelcoat. If you know some one who smokes ask them to give you the plastic wrapper from the cigarette packet, thats ideal for putting over the gelcoat to get the smooth finish as show in the video in my last posting.

It a very easy job to do if you follow the instructions have fun. :D

I'll get some of this and give it a try, thanks.

I have a small area of damage at the front of our caravan (long story :angry: ) but I put a Yorkshire rose sticker over it, I appreciate a Yorkshire rose might not be good for you :D but would a gas warning sticker etc cover it

Unfortunately the damaged area is on the curved front corner, but thanks for the suggestion.

My 2007 Abbey Vogue 600 has damage to the front fibreglass panel. The top surface layer is missing from an area roughly the size of a finger nail, I can see the fibreglass underneath. I would like to repair this but my dealer estimated £200 for this repair which sounds outrageous! Can I repair this myself?

It probably needs a little filler and then a top coat, the colour is a bright white. Can I use regular automotive filler or something else suitable for fibreglass? Does anyone know where I can buy matching paint? Or is this incredibly difficult and I should to get it done professionally?

I don't know when this happened but guess that a large stone / rock in transit caused this.

Thanks in advance.

I had to have a small repair done under warranty by Swift where there was a fault on the front of the van. It was done by a member of Swift staff who came to the dealership and did the repair himself. I was told by the staff that he had used some form of gel. Whatever it was the result was fantastic and it is now undetectable. Swift might respond with what they use.

Andrew