Creak

michael r

Hi, I have an Alko 2700 stabiliser/hitch, and just recently I have heard a creaking from the hitch when turning the outfit slowly. Further to this I have noted that the sides of the Alko ball have become very "bright". Does this indicate the necessity for new friction pads?. I do have some new ones.

The towball is not that old.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Mike R.

Hi, I have an Alko 2700 stabiliser/hitch, and just recently I have heard a creaking from the hitch when turning the outfit slowly. Further to this I have noted that the sides of the Alko ball have become very "bright". Does this indicate the necessity for new friction pads?. I do have some new ones.

The towball is not that old.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Mike R.

It could just be that the old pads have polished themselves through use.

It's a simple job to pop the pads out and roughing the surfaces back up using emery cloth. Be sure to wipe the pads with a clean cloth to remove any residual grit from the emery.

GPS

I've just purchased a new AKS 3004 hitch and it states the friction pads are good for 30,000 miles so I'm expecting a long life from them. Maybe the pads picked up some dirt and require cleaning.

Mine did that and I found the pads had developed a varnish-like coating. It was very easy to scrape this off with a stanley knife then finish off with some fine emery.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2