Towbar Spacer Query

iansoady

I have an AlKo towball fitted to my Land Rover Disco (200 series). I want to fit a bike carrier above the level of the towball, but this would encroach on the clearance for the AlKo stabiliser.

Is it OK to fit a 1" spacer to the towball? I generally run at just under 100Kg noseweight with our Bailey Pageant Vendee. I'm just a little concerned that this may result in excessive bending force, although the 16mm bolts do seem well able to take the strain.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Hi Ian,

It is generally accepted that the fitting of a spacer up to 25mm is permitted as most tobar manufacturers test their products with a spacer fitted. Spacers are in fact available up to 38mm. Here is the NTTA view on the matter.

"Most towbar manufacturers have allowed, in the towbar test and approval application, for the inclusion of various accessories, often by including a spacer in the towbar kit, which is removed when the accessory is fitted. This information should be clearly stated in the fitting instructions. If there is any doubt, you should contact the towbar manufacturer. This would apply to all accessories that move the towbar rearwards from the towbar."

Best,

Frank

Many thanks Frank, just what I was looking for.

Ian.

Any additional spacers fitted to a type approved towbar should also be type approved. But you will have problems finding them :unsure:

150 Kg - I did know that. ...

And as it's a 1993 vehicle, TA isn't an issue.

Ian.

150 Kg - I did know that. ...

And as it's a 1993 vehicle, TA isn't an issue.

If your vehicle noseweight is 150 kg as specified by the manufacturer (handbook), then your caravan noseweight, plus the weight of any bikes loaded onto the towbar accessory bracket, must not exceed 150 kg. Not being type-approved does not relieve you of the responsibility to keep within specified weights.

What about the Caravan allowed noseweight from the chassis manufacturer? That could be a lot less than 150kgs

Formally 'MagentaMan'... with Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 5 seat Auto 2011/Lunar 530 2013 with mover.

The caravan hitch download limit as specified by such as Alko is likely to be 100kgs,so even if he used the full 100kgs for the van,there is still 50kgs left for bikes and carrier.

I would limit the van noseweight to 80kgs,leaving 70kgs for the carrier and bikes. If the bikes weight more than that,it is time to buy some new ones. :lol:

I can't see that he has a problem.

Best,

Frank

Edited by Frank.A

Just one point about carrying bikes on the towball mounting (i. e. between the car and the caravan), I feel sure that I have read somewhere that it is not permissible to do this when going on fery and/or tunnel. I cannot imagine any reason for this, but it is worth an enquiry for anyone planning to cross the channel.

I'm sure I've seen this on ferries before, but as you say worth checking. I suppose the only possible reason would be side clearance in narrow lanes.

Ian.

Just one point about carrying bikes on the towball mounting (i. e. between the car and the caravan), I feel sure that I have read somewhere that it is not permissible to do this when going on fery and/or tunnel. I cannot imagine any reason for this, but it is worth an enquiry for anyone planning to cross the channel.

Hi The 2 Tops (and others)

Isn't this just slightly mis-remembering the story of the need for tunnel staff to check gas bottles are

closed and the bikes make it difficult - from a couple of weeks ago?

I can't find it though to prove my guess though. ..

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

I'm sure I've seen this on ferries before, but as you say worth checking. I suppose the only possible reason would be side clearance in narrow lanes.

Not sure about that. Would a bike be long enough to protrude beyond the width of a caravan?

Neil: I know there are (or have been) issues regarding gas cylinders on the tunnel. But, never having used the tunnel, I haven't checked the T&C in detail.