Fridge Not Working

growbag

I realise that this has been mentioned before but I'm really stuck at the moment.

My fridge wont cool run running on either Gas or mains electric. My van is perfectly level both front to back snd side to side.

The thermostat is set to the coldest setting but the ice box doesn't go below +10 degrees c.

Any help will be much appreciated as ever.

Growbag

Mondeo 2. 0 tdci 163 bhp & Rave4 tugging a Bailey Bordeaux 2004

I realise that this has been mentioned before but I'm really stuck at the moment.

My fridge wont cool run running on either Gas or mains electric. My van is perfectly level both front to back snd side to side.

The thermostat is set to the coldest setting but the ice box doesn't go below +10 degrees c.

Any help will be much appreciated as ever.

Growbag

You will have to give more info, Make Model how old etc !!

Radiotwo

Edited by RADIOTWO

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi.

Sorry about the lack of info. Its a Thetford N90E. I have just turned it off and will leave it until the morning and then turn it on again.

Daft as it may sound, if all else fails take it out turn it upside down leave for two hours; then reinstall, wait 12 hours and retry.

Over 50 years ago I worked for "Prescold" and that technique was what we had to do with the odd absorption units that unexpectedly stopped working. It's worked for friends with Electrolux caravan fridges once or twice in the passing years so is worth trying .

Hi.

Sorry about the lack of info. Its a Thetford N90E. I have just turned it off and will leave it until the morning and then turn it on again.

Hi Again

I had the same problem with mine, and turned out to be the thermostat, luckly mine was under warranty

Radiotwo

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi,

Mine too is still under warranty but we are using it this weekend so were trying to find a quick fix but looks as though we will end up taking it back to the dealer.

Daft as it may sound, if all else fails take it out turn it upside down leave for two hours; then reinstall, wait 12 hours and retry.

Some friends thought I was mad when I told them to do this with their (3 way) camping fridge. Was working as good as ever in the morning.

I turned mine upside down because it was not getting cold it's still working great now 2 yrs later.

Turning it upside down works, it just remixes the fluids/gasses inside again.

Have to do this every year to my 3 way fridge in the garage, which is only used for holidays.

However my fridge on my new van is kaputt, its a Thetford N97. Common problem with them on a lot of 08 model year vans was they were filled with the wrong cocktail of gas/fluids. Unfortunately its down to the customer to sort out the problem when they realise its not working rather than Thetford trying to contact people who have one. Maybe the numbers involved dont work.

Anyway mine is due to be replaced, under THETFORD warranty, just after Easter.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Turning it upside down works, it just remixes the fluids/gasses inside again.

Have to do this every year to my 3 way fridge in the garage, which is only used for holidays.

However my fridge on my new van is kaputt, its a Thetford N97. Common problem with them on a lot of 08 model year vans was they were filled with the wrong cocktail of gas/fluids. Unfortunately its down to the customer to sort out the problem when they realise its not working rather than Thetford trying to contact people who have one. Maybe the numbers involved dont work.

Anyway mine is due to be replaced, under THETFORD warranty, just after Easter.

i wonder who's doing that LOL

Thanks for all the advice so far. Have taken the fridge out from under the sink and turned it upside down. I left it upside down for 6 hours and then tried it again. Unfortunatley no good, still doesnt work.

Phoned the dealer who said that they couldnt look at it in the van until June!!! However if I removed it and took it to them they could test it on the bench in between jobs but after much swearing and bruised knuckles how the hell do you get it out the door? I removed the door from the fridge thinking it would work. I tried for an hour and a half but cant see any way to get it through the doorway. Is there a trick to this as I dont want to wail till June as I'm going away again in May.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Thanks for all the advice so far. Have taken the fridge out from under the sink and turned it upside down. I left it upside down for 6 hours and then tried it again. Unfortunatley no good, still doesnt work.

Phoned the dealer who said that they couldnt look at it in the van until June!!! However if I removed it and took it to them they could test it on the bench in between jobs but after much swearing and bruised knuckles how the hell do you get it out the door? I removed the door from the fridge thinking it would work. I tried for an hour and a half but cant see any way to get it through the doorway. Is there a trick to this as I dont want to wail till June as I'm going away again in May.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Hi Mike

Take it out of the front window ! thats how they took mine out

Radiotwo

Thanks Radiotwo

Will have a look at it tomorrow. If I didn't need it in May I would have left it for the dealer to do but I cant go on holiday without cooling my beer down!!

Mike

I take it the caravan is not under warranty ?. There are mobile engineers who'll come out to repair the fridge, of course you'll have to pay.

I take it the caravan is not under warranty ?. There are mobile engineers who'll come out to repair the fridge, of course you'll have to pay.

You cant repair these Thetfords if they are completely knackered, new or not. They are sealed and if they arent working on any source, they need replacing.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Hi,

Managed to get the fridge out of the window as suggested quite easily. Tried it on mains power one last time and it only managed to get to +2 degrees in the ice box. I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday who has told me that it will probably be a new fridge required. Luckily I have warranty on the van so I wont have to find the £500 for a new one.

Just hope they don't too long to sort it out as I'm off to Cornwall at the end of May for a week.

Thanks for all the advice so far.