Wi-fi Security

Hi

I’m a novice trying to get to grips with Wi-Fi security.

Maybe I’m paranoid but I've set up my home system so that log in requires a password, the M. A. C. address of the visiting laptop has to be allowed by my router and I have enabled WPA (I believe this encrypts communications between the laptop and router).

I’m quite happy to use unsecured sites like McDonalds to download e-mails and visit various websites.

But how dangerous is it to connect to supposedly secure sites (https) such as Banks or pay for items using a credit card? How do you manage your affairs?

Any/all Advice welcomed

Thanks

Scales

I would avoid using any public sites for banking or card payment stuff, do that at home or other trusted connections like a family members wi-fi.

Restrict your public stuff to email and general surfing.

Or am I just over cautious?

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

Its the very important I think in having a good security package on your computer. I use Norton Internet Security 2009 on all my machines as its the one I favour. It will prevent intrusions. With regard to internet banking one tip would be not to save any password/log in info on the laptop, set to key it in new everytime.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi

I’m a novice trying to get to grips with Wi-Fi security.

Maybe I’m paranoid but I've set up my home system so that log in requires a password, the M. A. C. address of the visiting laptop has to be allowed by my router and I have enabled WPA (I believe this encrypts communications between the laptop and router).

I’m quite happy to use unsecured sites like McDonalds to download e-mails and visit various websites.

But how dangerous is it to connect to supposedly secure sites (https) such as Banks or pay for items using a credit card? How do you manage your affairs?

Any/all Advice welcomed

Thanks

Scales

I have bt broadband with full on line protection as the package and had no problems with my laptop out and about. As added security I have IE Privacy keeper a free programme to clean up all websites / passwords / autofill / cookies etc every time I close Internet explorer down (only takes seconds) so after visiting bank etc I close down IE which then wipes any info stored on my laptop before I go online again.

Dave

For the sake of convenience of connection over security, some Wi-Fi hotspots don't use the same level of security which you would use at home.

Using free tools, eavesdroppers within wireless range could see things such as the website you are visiting, log in details of unsecured websites, or gain access to any shared files, folders or services you have enabled on your computer. With the ever increasing risk of identity fraud, avoid connecting to sites on unsecured networks that store your financial and personal details wherever possible.

In short. ...

Check your firewall is configured and enabled, and your operating system security patches and antivirus is up to date

Turn off file and printer sharing on your laptop.

Check the Wi-Fi point you are connecting to is the real name of the wireless network, in other words not somebody who has set up a bogus Wi-Fi point nearby. You could always ask the name of the network from whoever is available if in doubt.

When you have finished your session, right click on the wireless icon in the system tray (next to your clock) and physically disconnect from the network. Just closing your browser will not disconnect you.

There are probably other things you could do and this list is by no means exhaustive!

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Hi

I've set up my home system so that log in requires a password, the M. A. C. address of the visiting laptop has to be allowed by my router and I have enabled WPA

Have you changed the default user name and password for your router?

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

I had to go around to my next door neighbour the other day -- as We could access the INTERNET via his Home Wifi -- he hadn't put any pass words -- or what ever -- on it. .

My son showed him what to do !! [ He knows more about these things that I do]

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Have you changed the default user name and password for your router?

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes I have thanks

I'm working through all your other advice thanks (as I said I am a novice and some of it is like a foreign language)

Scales

Edited by Scales

For the sake of convenience of connection over security, some Wi-Fi hotspots don't use the same level of security which you would use at home.

Steve

Picking up on this point from Steve

Is it possible to determine the level of security for any particular Wi-Fi hotspot just by searching to see what's available.

As I said before I have WPA enabled which I believe encrypts transmissions making them more secure. So has my son.

Checking for a connection at either of our homes my router comes up as: " ????? Secure (WPA) " So does my sons. No other connections around our homes show the WPA.

We have different ISP's and routers. So is it safe to assume there is an agreed international standard where WPA or WEP is displayed on all wireless connections where it is enabled by the provider.

If so is a Wi-Fi connection with WPA or WEP displayed more likely to be secure than an internet cafe where unknown persons may have key loggers fitted into the system.

From memory the McDonalds site I've used (Penrith) just states " Cloud Not Secure " .

Secure might I suppose just mean that a connection is password protected.

I hope this all makes sense.

Scales

Scales

I think you are approaching it from the wrong direction! You need to ensure you have a robust system in place on your laptop to protect you as its impossible to know what sort of security the network you are using has. If you have it will detect people trying to access your laptop and stop it. If you are using a campsite WiFi then its less likely that you will have people lurking with intent! Although even if they were good security should prevent problems.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Scales

I think you are approaching it from the wrong direction! You need to ensure you have a robust system in place on your laptop to protect you as its impossible to know what sort of security the network you are using has. If you have it will detect people trying to access your laptop and stop it. If you are using a campsite WiFi then its less likely that you will have people lurking with intent! Although even if they were good security should prevent problems.

David

Thanks Dave

Most of my usage away from home will be restricted to downloading e-mails and accessing non-important web sites (as regards private information) but I envisage that I might possibly want to access banks etc during our regular 5 week trips abroad, although I shall avoid it if I can.

Scales

Thanks Dave

Most of my usage away from home will be restricted to downloading e-mails and accessing non-important web sites (as regards private information) but I envisage that I might possibly want to access banks etc during our regular 5 week trips abroad, although I shall avoid it if I can.

Scales

if you have a modern phone why not try HSDPA. .... i have a o2 orbit 2 windows mobile 6 phone and you can connect a laptop to it and surf the net

this is an option you could look into . .....just give your mobile phone operater a call and they will advise you of the costs

it also means you could access your banking from almost anywhere you would get a mobile phone signal

hope this is of some use to you

guys i work in IT and have also heard of folk being able to turn a wifi router into a rougue access point which captures users data. .....i honestly don't know how this works but have heard it can be done

all the best

gary

Edited by garymaule

Thanks Dave

Scales

Scales

Because we go abroad for up to 9 weeks we have no option but to use internet banking on the laptop, particularly as I tend to pay bills online. I tend to use campsite WiFi, no so keen on McDonalds as I prefer to do from the comfort of my van. In Germany last year I signed up for a month of T-Mobile Wifi which I think was about €29 which I thought was pretty good value although to make full use you had to be on a campsite that offered that service. I may well try my Vodafone dongle this year. Its a bit expensive at £10 for 50MB in a 24 hour window but it does start counting from the time I log on so I reckon I should be able to get two days worth out of it. Its all gone a bit quiet on the EU forced price reduction on data use, maybe later in the year.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

• 4 weeks later...

2009-07-03 Deleted this as the link referred to, will soon cease to exist. Sorry. ..

Edited by theGR8Rgood

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum + Scatter more than you Gather + Festina Lente + More is Nog n Dag