New Owners Of Fleetwood Heritage 640 Est

vanlea73

Hello

We are a pair of newbies all set up with our new Fleetwood and tow vehicle (Hyundai Terracan). We have joined the Caravan Club now need to know where to go!!!

We are planning to spend a good few months out on the road with our little one (2 years old) and wonder:

(1) Is there a lot of variation in the cost of caravan sites?

(2) Is it absolutely necessary to use official caravan sites, or can we just find a nice spot and park there?!

(3) We don't really want to book ahead so we can just go where the mood takes us . .. are we likely to run into trouble doing this and find there are no spaces anywhere?

(4) Anyone know any fab, remote (and cheap!) sites that we could head for?

We will be travelling for five or six months, only in the UK, so any advice/suggestions/warnings would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

vanlea

Hello

We are a pair of newbies all set up with our new Fleetwood and tow vehicle (Hyundai Terracan). We have joined the Caravan Club now need to know where to go!!!

We are planning to spend a good few months out on the road with our little one (2 years old) and wonder:

(1) Is there a lot of variation in the cost of caravan sites?

(2) Is it absolutely necessary to use official caravan sites, or can we just find a nice spot and park there?!

(3) We don't really want to book ahead so we can just go where the mood takes us . .. are we likely to run into trouble doing this and find there are no spaces anywhere?

(4) Anyone know any fab, remote (and cheap!) sites that we could head for?

We will be travelling for five or six months, only in the UK, so any advice/suggestions/warnings would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

vanlea

Hi and welcome

I would suggest you stick to proper caravan sites as it is illegal I think just to pitch anywhere. Look in the caravan club book for CL sites which are small 5 van only sites and are very cheap and most are of good quality. If you wish to go on a site with pools and club house then it would be wise to book in advance especially if you are going to be visiting during the main season otherwise you should be ok. I hope you enjoy caravaning and I wish you well in your new hobby, by the way are you retired?

Vaughan :D

You'd be in a better position to do what your planning by being members of the Camping & Caravanning Club it gives you another set commercial sites to tour should you find that the CC site in that area is full, but the biggest advantage in my opinion for what you want to do are the large number of Rally and Temporary Holiday sites where you can just turn up with out booking. These sites are held all over the UK and nightly pitch fees are cheap at around £6/7 few have electric hook ups but there are several ways to charge your battery when using these sites. The Caravan Club run rallies as well which you'll see mentioned the the magazine but you'll need to telephone the organisers to book at most of those before attending.

You'd be in a better position to do what your planning by being members of the Camping & Caravanning Club it gives you another set commercial sites to tour should you find that the CC site in that area is full, but the biggest advantage in my opinion for what you want to do are the large number of Rally and Temporary Holiday sites where you can just turn up with out booking. These sites are held all over the UK and nightly pitch fees are cheap at around £6/7 few have electric hook ups but there are several ways to charge your battery when using these sites. The Caravan Club run rallies as well which you'll see mentioned the the magazine but you'll need to telephone the organisers to book at most of those before attending.

Thanks for this. I hadn't realised there were two separate clubs . .. is it a kind of competitive thing? Why do you have to book for the Caravan Club rallies and not the Camping & Caravanning Club rallies? And what is a rally exactly? So many questions!

Hi and welcome

I would suggest you stick to proper caravan sites as it is illegal I think just to pitch anywhere. Look in the caravan club book for CL sites which are small 5 van only sites and are very cheap and most are of good quality. If you wish to go on a site with pools and club house then it would be wise to book in advance especially if you are going to be visiting during the main season otherwise you should be ok. I hope you enjoy caravaning and I wish you well in your new hobby, by the way are you retired?

Vaughan :D

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for your advice. I would imagine the CL sites get booked up well in advance. I think the main summer season will be our problem; we will head away from the crowds as best we can when the school holidays start! Not sure where that will be though! We are not retired; just taking a break!!!

Thanks

vanlea