Provence Toilet Pain

PAGEANT

Can anybody give me any pointers in filling up the water cystern from outside. I found myself pouring more water down the side of the van than filling the tank. Is the only way to do it by traveling with a watering can or have you invented a better way.

I use a ‘collapsible’ plastic water container with attached tap

Just fill up at mains hold above the caravan filler and turn on the tap. Hey presto! Very little water where not wanted. .

Works for me!

Regards

David

Can anybody give me any pointers in filling up the water cystern from outside. I found myself pouring more water down the side of the van than filling the tank. Is the only way to do it by traveling with a watering can or have you invented a better way.

14526[/snapback]

A plastic 5 litre watering can works for me!

Mlamont

A plastic 5 litre watering can works for me!

Mlamont

14535[/snapback]

Yeah seems the best way. I ended up filling it with the aquaroll, what a bummer that was. My legs were shaking like elvis used to when he caravaned. ;)

We use a 2 litre plastic container, ex-cider. it's small enough to get the water into the inlet without spilling very much. The container is kept, full, in the car so we always have water available. It takes three fills when arriving on site but is useful for topping up the tank during longer site stays.

14526[/snapback]

Spare submersible pump, length of hose, external 12v socket beside filler.

I don't believe in carrying anything heavy like water.

ATVB

You can not reason with an unreasonable person.

I cheated! I opened the cistern cover, opened the loo window, removed the sprinkler head from the shower, ran the shower hose through the window and pointed the flow into the cistern. Of course, I had already put some flush chem into the tank and all I had to do was wait until the thing was full, shut the cover and window, replace the shower head and, as they say, Bob's your uncle!

BTW, my van is a Vendee.

DenisM

That's all very well and good - but is the layout of the Provence and the Vendee washroom the same?

14664[/snapback]

Actually it would reach. Just a thought But I could use the shower as a toilet too. Not sure if the wife would approve though.

Keep your suggestions coming in. There must be a few sensible ones somewhere. ;)

I use a funnel with a flexable end, the type you get from car accessory shops, have the fire bucket full of water and use a plastic milk container as a jug to fill the loo, works well for us.

Jog

Guest john1215
Spare submersible pump, length of hose, external 12v socket beside filler.

I don't believe in carrying anything heavy like water.

ATVB

14651[/snapback]

Phil,

I like your suggestion the most. These spare sockets used to be installed on Swift vans just for that purpose, I had one on a 440SE but I can't recall seeing them fitted these days - I use a 7 litre watering can, not too heavy and only takes 2 trips to fill the cistern from empty.

john1215

External 12v socket is very simple to fit - like most jobs - if you have the right tools.

Also - very great care - an understanding dealer who accepts that I know what I'm doing and that it will be properly sealed/fused etc. and he won't get picky about the warranty.

Totally rewired the electrics inside because I don't like the beaurocrats telling me what I can and cannot have (post 1999 spec)

Far safer in my opinion than what the manufacturer provided and suits my needs.

I very seldom use mains hook-ups (except at home) and rely totally on battery power.

Therefore I want to know everything is safe, no short circuits, no 'dry joints' on the soldering, no voltage drops on any of the lines.

Just me being a sad old git with too much time on my hands.

ATB

You can not reason with an unreasonable person.

That's all very well and good - but is the layout of the Provence and the Vendee washroom the same?

14664[/snapback]

Layout of Provence and Vendee identical except Vendee has fixed bed and Provence has dinette

14526[/snapback]

A dash of pink flush chem and then I pour water in using an old 2 litre Pepsi bottle I keep in the front locker. Takes about 2 1/2 to 3 bottles (i. e. 5 to 6 litres ish) depending on how empty it was and how much you want to fill it to the brim.

Means 3 trips to the tap but that's no hardship on most super pitches. I am cheeky and use the neighbours tap though to save unplugging my Aquaroll float valve feed hose from the tap! Best 43 quid I ever spent - no back ache last week through lugging Aquarolls onto their side after rolling them to the van from the tap!

Si.

• 1 month later...

I am doing what denism suggested - take off the shower head and run the tube out of the window and fill up the toilet header.

I'm with RogerL on this one. A 2L cider bottle (give or take a bit more) gives us enough flushing water for a weekend away. If the site has decent toilet facilities we tend to use them during the daytime. I can't see the point in filling the tank up to capacity then having to drain it down again to tow home.

JTS

Can anybody give me any pointers in filling up the water cistern from outside? I found myself pouring more water down the side of the van than filling the tank. Is the only way to do it by traveling with a watering can or have you invented a better way.

Hi

I bought myself a plain old plastic watering can costs pennies I keep it just for filling up the toilet use it and the refill it ready for the next load It just pours in easy There is no mess and no banging half empty aqua roll against the side of the caravan. Even the wife can lift it!!!!

Hope this is helpful

Half a job