Tow Bar Help

paul777

hello

sorry if i have asked this before but need help

My sisters car is a right off she has asked me to tow her caravan to a camp site I have told her no

Because her tow ball looks smaller than mine

I have the alko hitch my sister has a the old type hitch

as her caravan is around 16 years old she has a sprite major

So she phoned up blazers who told her it is fine for me to tow her caravan

I don’t think she believes me so I need some advice

I will not endanger anyone if this will be a dangerous

One last word I`m insured for my caravan will I be covered for my sisters ?

thank you paul

If her towball really is smaller than yours then her hitch will not fit on your ball. If her hitch is greasy make sure you clean your towball after. you should be able to check your insurance with a simple phone call. My understanding is that if your insurance company know you tow you are covered for third party risks whatever you tow if it's legal.

hello

sorry if i have asked this before but need help

My sisters car is a right off she has asked me to tow her caravan to a camp site I have told her no

Because her tow ball looks smaller than mine

I have the alko hitch my sister has a the old type hitch

as her caravan is around 16 years old she has a sprite major

So she phoned up blazers who told her it is fine for me to tow her caravan

I don’t think she believes me so I need some advice

I will not endanger anyone if this will be a dangerous

One last word I`m insured for my caravan will I be covered for my sisters ?

thank you paul

The standard for towballs is 50mm in diameter, with a minimum safe limit of 49mm diameter at any one point across the spherical circumference.

Most comprhensive car policies allow for the towing of caravans, and there is no stipulation that you are restricted to a particular van.

As an extra comfort, if your sister's car had a towball smaller than your car, it would not be possible to attach her van to your car.

If her car's towball is very ancient, it is possible that it is to the old imperial standard of 2 inches in diameter. Discounting wear, this would make her towball 50. 8mm in diameter. This would make her van slightly loose on your towball, but you will still be OK providing that your towball has no detectable wear.

thanks but i`m sure i asked this question around 2 years ago and every one sad no !

don`t tow with a smaller tow ball ?

but if you all say it is fine i shall give it a go

thank you paul

I always thought the old 2 inch hitch ball was completely round whereas the 50 mm has a flat top so you could tell them apart.

A 16 year old Sprite major has the a hitch that takes the same size towball as is currently in use. The only difference between the Alko ball for the stabilizer hitch and the standard ball is that it has a slightly longer stem to it to allow the stabiliser hitch sufficient clearance because of this it is perfectly safe to use the alko ball designed for a stabiliser hitch with an old fashioned hitch. All you would need to do would be to thoroughly clean the ball after it has been used to get rid of all traces of grease.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.