Fault Recalls

RogerL

The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) provides a publicly accessible web-based facility whereby anyone can determine if a vehicle has been subject to a recall.

http://www. vosa. gov. uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default. asp

Should a similar facility be provided by the NCC for caravans?

The present system seems to rely on the caravan owner identifying even known faults during a caravanning trip before rectification can take place.

Although I've not had any problems with vans a register would be handy.

It might also highlight reliability between manufacturers and therefore possibly improve build quality. :unsure:

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

Roger,

This sounds like an excellent idea. The problem is, it would probably only have safety related items, like brakes, gas etc included. Nearly all of the problems owners have are relate to build quality inside the caravan or damp.

Cars are only recalled for serious safety problems, not badly fitting doors or water leaks.

Lloyd

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

I think that it would be a first class idea but agree that the major of the problems with caravans are poor build quality rather than serious safety issues.

Bill

In nearly 40 years of caravanning don't think I have ever heard of a recall by a manufacturer - has there ever been one??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

From what I have seen on the "Watchdog Programme" with Citroen with bonnet flying open and Vauxhall with engine faults and car just stopping dead in fast lane of motorway, in both cases VOSA did not take any action and agreed with the car manufacturers that "this was not a problem" It would seem that VOSA is not "independent" and constantly comes down on the side of the car manufacturers!! Even with these major safety issues.

I thought one of the mags or clubs did a big survey last year on reliability, quality of build etc of Caravans? I know I filled in the on-line questionaire - this would make a good start to keep it going on an annual basis.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

Sounds like a good idea.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Working at dealership level we have always had whats called dealer bulletins, that basically means the manufacturer contacts dealers then inturn the people in the workshops are notified to check certain aspects weather it be a saftey issue or componant fault

The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) provides a publicly accessible web-based facility whereby anyone can determine if a vehicle has been subject to a recall.

http://www. vosa. gov. uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default. asp

Should a similar facility be provided by the NCC for caravans?

The present system seems to rely on the caravan owner identifying even known faults during a caravanning trip before rectification can take place.

Hi RogerL

Sounds like a good idea for safety related items like running gear, I guess the extra expense would be worth it both

for our safety towing and other road users. Not sure how many accidents it would prevent but combined with a van

MOT it should stop a few.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI