The Clarkson Effect

pandas

Leaving home this morning with the van on tow, entering the A34 at Newbury, building up speed to a steady 60mph switched on the cruise control and settled back in the seat for the nice drive down to Southampton to get the van serviced. its about 20 miles of dual carriageway and the traffic conditions were light. glancing in the wing mirror the HGV behind me decided to overtake, the problem was he was only travelling about 1/2 mph faster than me. going downhill he began to make a couple of yards, but as soon as we came to a gradient he lost the ground but stayed in the outside lane.

After about 3 miles of almost neck and neck and the ultimate queue of cars behind him he gave up and moved in behind me. As all the cars roared past I could almost feel the eyes on me being the culprit B*:^;#y caravans I almost heard them say. So what do you do? do you slow down and let him pass only to get stuck behind him on the next hill, or do as I did whistle a merry tune and eyes straight ahead !!

If you are doing 60mph & he has the speed to overtake you someone has fiddled with his limiter!

Formally 'MagentaMan'... with Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 5 seat Auto 2011/Lunar 530 2013 with mover.

If you are doing 60mph & he has the speed to overtake you someone has fiddled with his limiter!

Do limiters have a braking phase down hill - or do they just cut the power at 56mph?

Most car speedos read high by up to 10% as they are not allowed to read low. Limiters on lorries are set to true speeds. Thus the car could have been doing a true speed of 55. 5mph and the lorry 56mph. I have used my satnav in several cars and they all read high.

Brian

unless he's heavy and going downhill, sadly we have many cowboy drivers at the wheel of hgv's.

Jeff

Do limiters have a braking phase down hill - or do they just cut the power at 56mph?

I believe they just cut the power so on a steep hill they can overspeed

Brian

I believe they just cut the power so on a steep hill they can overspeed

Brian

To `overspeed` on a hill you just knock it out gear, let gravity do its work.

We had a driver some 10 years ago do that coming down both Shap and Beattock hills (carrying a highly flammable load) he managed to get it up to over 80mph. We fitted sophisticated satellite tracking devices to all our trucks before that, telling us speed, direction, even if the ignition was turned on during the night, and the drivers knew about this yet. ......

His P45 was waiting for him at the end of the day. Too many hauliers turn a blind eye, as do the police (ever been passed on the A55 as the Irish `fridges come off the night boat?). Try to stop 44 tonnes downhill with no engine braking, just make sure I`m not around. .................

Too many hauliers turn a blind eye, as do the police (ever been passed on the A55 as the Irish `fridges come off the night boat?). Try to stop 44 tonnes downhill with no engine braking, just make sure I`m not around. .................

At least the A55 from Holyhead to the M6 is dual carriageway - the A75 from Stranraer/Cairnryan to the M6 is single carriageway but our EC neighbours travel at the same sort of illegal speeds.

Leaving home this morning with the van on tow, entering the A34 at Newbury, building up speed to a steady 60mph switched on the cruise control and settled back in the seat for the nice drive down to Southampton to get the van serviced. its about 20 miles of dual carriageway and the traffic conditions were light. glancing in the wing mirror the HGV behind me decided to overtake, the problem was he was only travelling about 1/2 mph faster than me. going downhill he began to make a couple of yards, but as soon as we came to a gradient he lost the ground but stayed in the outside lane.

After about 3 miles of almost neck and neck and the ultimate queue of cars behind him he gave up and moved in behind me. As all the cars roared past I could almost feel the eyes on me being the culprit B*:^;#y caravans I almost heard them say. So what do you do? do you slow down and let him pass only to get stuck behind him on the next hill, or do as I did whistle a merry tune and eyes straight ahead !!

What gets me is on motorways / diuel carigeways waiting for 5 miles for them to pass another lorry both doing 56 mph with 5 mile tailbacks in the middle lane on motorways or outside lane on duel carrigeways and thats no even when I have the van on the back :rolleyes:

Most car speedos read high by up to 10% as they are not allowed to read low. Limiters on lorries are set to true speeds. Thus the car could have been doing a true speed of 55. 5mph and the lorry 56mph. I have used my satnav in several cars and they all read high.

Brian

Agree this is very likely the cause. An indicated 60mph on my Jeep used to be 56mph via GPS, Mondeo sits at 57mph GPS with a speedo reading of 60mph.

The difference in rolling circumference between new and old tyres can adjust the speedo reading by a couple of mph as can different tyre pressure. Nearly all speedo's over read for this reason as an under reading speedo would lead to the manufacturers being held responsible for you going too fast.

Lorry limiters tend to be pretty accurate but there are odd one's that are set a little high, 55-57mpg GPS covers 99% though.

I nearly always use the GPS reading when on long A roads or Motorways.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

What gets me is on motorways / diuel carigeways waiting for 5 miles for them to pass another lorry both doing 56 mph with 5 mile tailbacks in the middle lane on motorways or outside lane on duel carrigeways and thats no even when I have the van on the back :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the dreaded 'sideways convoy' :angry:

Country Down To My Soul

Hey!..It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Land Rover tdi towing Swift Conqueror 645Lux

We get it all the time on the A55 and it's a bloody pain. The trouble is when there are 2 wagons side by side, you get

the ridiculous situation when they are side by side for a few miles, causing anger amongst the cars behind, I've seen people getting really, really irate, they are flashing the overtaking wagon, driving impatiently all because some idiot has decided to overtake on a downhill stretch that rapidly becomes uphill, hence the cause of the convoy!

I get pee'd off particularly at the wagons heading to Holyhead driving like lunatics.

Personally if I was towing my caravan and a wagon was doing that, then it is the wagon's responsibility to ensure they have enough "head of steam" to overtake, absolutely no chance I would drop back to facilitate the overtaking vehicle.

As for the people held up in the outside lane, tough, direct your anger at the pillock behind the wheel of the LGV!!

Sharon

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Oh the innocent car drivers getting stuck behind a bloke just trying to do his job, it's not his fault that he has been limited to 56mph or any thing as low as 50mph. if you get stuck behind one who is just bringing to you the goods you take for granted on the supermarket shelf, now you will realise what it is like when they get stuck behind the driver who will not get out of the middle lane and even if you are doing 60mph faster than the trucks remember coaches are no longer allowed in the outside lane so they cannot get past.

As for thge comment "I get pee'd off particularly at the wagons heading to Holyhead driving like lunatics" Lunatics at 56mph.

If you have an LGV trying to pass it won't hurt you just to lift off and let them pass after all they were going faster than you to have caught up with you.

Perhaps you could start a petition to ban the trucks off the roads, O then what will we have in the shops, not a lot.

Live and let live.

Edited by ad210358

Perhaps if you are towing the van on cruise control and the wagons are catching you and trying to crawl by you then you should press the + button a couple of times and it'll solve the problem completely.

2mph is hardly going to affect towing stability that much or fuel economy but it will stop your outfit being a mobile rolling road block.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

On the odd occasion this happens to me I usually let them in.

When the backlog of traffic clears and he's struggling to stay ahead I'll pass him and clear off.

When people get impatient some get dangerous.

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

Definately in my opinion let them pass and repass if you desire. Also on a 20 mile journey what difference if you slow down by 5 mph for a couple of miles. Chill take it easy do not stress. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

If you have an LGV trying to pass it won't hurt you just to lift off and let them pass after all they were going faster than you to have caught up with you.

A good post, if only the HGV drivers heeded the same advice, if the HGV being overtaken lifted off as it was being overtaken the overtaking HGV would pass more quickly and we would not be having this discussion.

You can't have one rule if it is a HGV being overtaking by a HGV and a different rule if it's any other vehicle.

Taking into consideration everything that has been said about the accuracy of speedometers, in balance, the HGV will be traveling with his accelerator pressed to the floor to maintain the speed they are traveling, the caravaner does however have a choice as to the speed they travel.

If you sit at 60mph you will be liable to being overtaken by HGV's because you are within their maximum speed zone.

If you do less than 60mph they will have no trouble passing you, if you are doing just over 60 (which will as previously posted will be less than a measured 60mph) you will stay ahead of them.

GPS

Whilst I agree with you about the HGV lifting off, we should I think consider our image as caring considerable caravaning citizens and accept that by doing the correct thing we may at sometime make someones life a bit nicer, even if this is very slightly inconvenient for ourselves. I suppose if we all slowed down and let the other in the traffic would never get started, no before you, no I insist before you etc.

A good post, if only the HGV drivers heeded the same advice, if the HGV being overtaken lifted off as it was being overtaken the overtaking HGV would pass more quickly and we would not be having this discussion.

You can't have one rule if it is a HGV being overtaking by a HGV and a different rule if it's any other vehicle.

Taking into consideration everything that has been said about the accuracy of speedometers, in balance, the HGV will be traveling with his accelerator pressed to the floor to maintain the speed they are traveling, the caravaner does however have a choice as to the speed they travel.

If you sit at 60mph you will be liable to being overtaken by HGV's because you are within their maximum speed zone.

If you do less than 60mph they will have no trouble passing you, if you are doing just over 60 (which will as previously posted will be less than a measured 60mph) you will stay ahead of them.

GPS

The trouble is that as said one vehicle was obviiously going quicker than the other ( whatever it is) but when you are driving an hgv & you pull out to overtake another it is amazing how much turbulance there is between the 2 which saeems to pull both their speeds nearer to each other . Then ever noticed that after struggling for a few miles to get past that immediately the hgv has got past at a seeming snails pace he then "accelerates " into the distance ?

The trouble is that as said one vehicle was obviiously going quicker than the other ( whatever it is) but when you are driving an hgv & you pull out to overtake another it is amazing how much turbulance there is between the 2 which saeems to pull both their speeds nearer to each other . Then ever noticed that after struggling for a few miles to get past that immediately the hgv has got past at a seeming snails pace he then "accelerates " into the distance ?

I have noticed that if I get tucked in behind an HGV it tends to suck me along with it (a bit like BMW's April 1st advert), and I can save 2 to 3mpg. So I would have let him pass and then stayed about 25 yards behind him.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

The law concerning foreign drivers/vehicles changed yesterday and they can now all receive on the spot fines or have their vehicles seized.

Unless it was just another April Fool joke on the BBC.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

I also have cruise control, but I set it based on the GPS speed (at 60 or 59 as indicated on the GPS screen). This gets me outside of the HGV speed range and keeps me legal. (my speedometer indicates about 66 when I've done this)

Edited by sandy_al

I also have cruise control, but I set it based on the GPS speed (at 60 or 59 as indicated on the GPS screen). This gets me outside of the HGV speed range and keeps me legal. (my speedometer indicates about 66 when I've done this)

I always do the same.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

The Highway Code 162-169:

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Obviously the OP has not read the highway code for a while so I am putting a little extract here to jog his memory.

First of all Guys, they've been called LGVs for quite a few years now, and IIRC the Highway Code says "You must not accelerate when being overtaken, be prepared to slow down if necessary."

I would think being sat there, smug, on cruise control whilst an LGV driver struggles with up to 44tons under him is unexcusable. And yes, I drive LGVs for a living, tow a caravan to unwind. Relax!

Andy.

Sometimes outnumbered, never outgunned.

Sorento XS/Charisma 550/Dutch Barge sold :(/Scania