Opinions Wanted

TD 42

I have 1 calorlight propane bottle allready,& I have 1 empty 7kg butane bottle. Do i change it for another calorlight,or get another 7kg butane???????

I have never used propane yet & I have heard it does not last as long as butane or have as high heat content,I got the calorlight purely for noseweight reasons but found I do not need to carry 2 bottles so 1x7kg should last me for 6 weeks in france + I have a french bottle & connector.

is it as quick to boil a kettle with propane as with butane & does it last as long??????

PS I dont do winter caravaning :huh: :huh:

I have 1 calorlight propane bottle allready,& I have 1 empty 7kg butane bottle. Do i change it for another calorlight,or get another 7kg butane???????

I have never used propane yet & I have heard it does not last as long as butane or have as high heat content,I got the calorlight purely for noseweight reasons but found I do not need to carry 2 bottles so 1x7kg should last me for 6 weeks in france + I have a french bottle & connector.

is it as quick to boil a kettle with propane as with butane & does it last as long??????

PS I dont do winter caravaning :huh: :huh:

Very little difference in heat and very little difference in amount. The propane is slightly more expensive than the butane, though if you have the gaslow system then this is reversed.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

You can exchange different Calor bottles, i exchanged a 15kg Butane bottle for a 6kg Propane, but they have different fittings, one has a left handed thread fitting and the other is a right hand thread fitting, the 15kg bottle had a clip on connecter, i believe you only pay for the gas, as you do not own the bottle. You can always check with your supplier.

If you do not winter tour then Butane may be the better one for you, but i believe that Calor only does the Propane in a "lite" bottle. We have two 6kg Propane bottles in our locker, others have Butane, we are just waiting for the gas to run out so we can exchange them for the "Calorlite" bottles.

Someone who has the correct knowledge of the Calorific value of the temperatures will be along shortly to explain it better than i can, as Butane has a higher Calorific value than Propane. (edit, sorry i got that wrong, it should be the other way round)

Edited by The Ridge Rider

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

You can exchange different Calor bottles, i exchanged a 15kg Butane bottle for a 6kg Propane, but they have different fittings, one has a left handed thread fitting and the other is a right hand thread fitting, the 15kg bottle had a clip on connecter, i believe you only pay for the gas, as you do not own the bottle. You can always check with your supplier.

If you do not winter tour then Butane may be the better one for you, but i believe that Calor only does the Propane in a "lite" bottle. We have two 6kg Propane bottles in our locker, others have Butane, we are just waiting for the gas to run out so we can exchange them for the "Calorlite" bottles.

Someone who has the correct knowledge of the Calorific value of the temperatures will be along shortly to explain it better than i can, as Butane has a higher Calorific value than Propane.

Thank you for your reply, I have both propane & butane connectors but was wondering which gas was most economical, if there isnt to much in it I might just get a 2nd calorelite propane just for the noseweight saving

Someone who has the correct knowledge of the Calorific value of the temperatures will be along shortly to explain it better than i can, as Butane has a higher Calorific value than Propane.

According to Wikipedia, propane has a higher calorific value so you get more heat per kg of gas, about 1. 7% more so you won't notice the difference.

http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

However, propane is more expensive than butane so it costs more to run than butane. Cant remember the relative cost figures but think its around 15-20%

Brian

You can exchange different Calor bottles,

we are just waiting for the gas to run out so we can exchange them for the "Calorlite" bottles.

Hi Ridge Rider

You may want to check a thread that we started last Saturday about exchanging different Calor bottles for Calorlite ones. Calor have confirmed to us that they will not swop any calor bottle for a calorlite bottle after the 1st May this year. It was originally the 1st April but they have delayed the introduction of this policy by one month. Ignore the comments of other posters on our thread who disputed this change in policy because we actually spoke to the Calor helpline on Monday this week and they confirmed this change in policy.

Pete

The following is taken directly from Calor's website:-

http://www. calor. co. uk/about-calor/press-r. ..ange-scheme. htm

Calor offers Cylinder Exchange Programme

Calor's exchange programme, which offers caravanners the chance to swap their old cylinder for an alternative cylinder in the caravan range whilst only paying for the cost of the gas refill, covers butane and propane bottles of all sizes, meaning that users can select the option that best suits their needs.

Caravanners can take advantage of the offer by visiting their local supplier or calling Calor to arrange a delivery direct to their home. Andrea Price, consumer marketing development manager at Calor, comments:

"Calor's cylinder exchange programme has been extremely popular with caravanners looking for flexibility and reliability whilst on the move. The addition of the 13kg and 5kg propane Patio GasT cylinders to the scheme last year extended the offer further meaning that, whether they are looking for a larger cylinder for longer holidays or smaller bottles if they are limited on space, caravanners can be confident that Calor will meet their needs."

Calor's Patio GasT cylinders are fitted with a Gas Trac® indicator, which shows 'hi' when the gas cylinder is more than half full and moves to 'lo' when gas is running low, enabling caravanners to plan ahead with ease.

For more information on Calor, or to find your nearest stockist, please visit www. caravanning-online. co. uk or call 0800 181 4530.

- ends -

Issued on behalf of Calor by Bright, 10 St Catherine’s Court, Herbert Road, Solihull, West Midlands, B91 3QE For further information please contact Victoria Crowe or Michelle Simpson at Bright on Tel: +44 (0) 121 711 5000 Fax: +44 (0) 121 711 5001 or Email: victoria@bright-consultancy. co. uk .

WordClick here to download this press release in Word format

Hi Roger

If you open the word document on the link that you have given you will see that the statement is dated 14th February 2007. Over 2 years ago. I guess that Calor feel that 2 years was sufficient time for people to change over.

Pete.

Hi Roger

If you open the word document on the link that you have given you will see that the statement is dated 14th February 2007. Over 2 years ago. I guess that Calor feel that 2 years was sufficient time for people to change over.

Pete.

That's current on their website, today 1st April 2009 - presumably Calor will change the website if and when their policy changes.

Hi Roger

Maybe the best thing, for anyone thinking of changing over to Calorlite, is to ring Calor on 0800 181 4530 as I did this week and they will be able to find out for themselves what Calor's up to date policy is.

After all it would be a shame to find out on 2nd May that you have missed out by 1 day due to inaccurate information.

Pete

Edited by Pete

Hi Roger

Maybe the best thing, for anyone thinking of changing over to Calorlite, is to ring Calor on 0800 181 4530 as I did this week and they will be able to find out for themselves what Calor's up to date policy is.

After all it would be a shame to find out on 2nd May that you have missed out by 1 day due to inaccurate information.

Pete

And get them to publish accurate information on their website.

Hi Ridge Rider

You may want to check a thread that we started last Saturday about exchanging different Calor bottles for Calorlite ones. Calor have confirmed to us that they will not swop any calor bottle for a calorlite bottle after the 1st May this year. It was originally the 1st April but they have delayed the introduction of this policy by one month. Ignore the comments of other posters on our thread who disputed this change in policy because we actually spoke to the Calor helpline on Monday this week and they confirmed this change in policy.

Pete

Cheers for that Pete,

I have been following that thread, only the law of sod is coming to play, one of my bottles is a full one and the other one is nearly empty, can you guess what type they are yet :lol: yup, they are the old heavy ones.

Thinking out loud, what happens when you have an empty Calorlite bottle and where you exchange them haven't got any full ones, do you

A. Do a search looking for one, or

B. take it on the chin and have an old heavy one back.

Answers on an old white fiver please :lol:

but they have different fittings, one has a left handed thread fitting and the other is a right hand thread fitting, the 15kg bottle had a clip on connecter,

Threaded gas bottle regulator fittings are left hand threads for both propane (POL connector ) and butane (21. 8).

Threaded gas bottle regulator fittings are left hand threads for both propane (POL connector ) and butane (21. 8).

I stand corrected sir. :D

So many fittings for only a couple of types of gas.