Best (cheap ) Satnav?

Guest Taid

My Road Angel has gone to the big black hole in the sky and want to get a replacement . .

must be TomTom, Navma, Garmin or Destinator (never heard of that one before . .) there are free LPG station POI downloads for those

must have free speed trap updates . . the old Road Angel cost me £4 a month (ouch)

so

any recommendations ?

thanks

Garmin for me, i have a StreetPilot c550 deluxe, i know it has been discontinued now, but it still does the job, Camera alerts, POI's with all the info you will need.

We have Tom Toms at work, can't get on with them like i can my Garmin.

All i can sugest is go to some where like Halfords and try them all out, you will get a feel for which is the right one for your needs, as what suits me may not suit you.

Good luck in your search ;)

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

My Road Angel has gone to the big black hole in the sky and want to get a replacement . .

must be TomTom, Navma, Garmin or Destinator (never heard of that one before . .) there are free LPG station POI downloads for those

must have free speed trap updates . . the old Road Angel cost me £4 a month (ouch)

so

any recommendations ?

thanks

:unsure: you could try http://www. totalpda. co. uk/refurbished-tomtom or http://www. handtec. co. uk/ But I do not think you will get free downloads for safety cams although they may be ready loaded you have to pay a yearly sub for updates

pocketgpsworld. com have a database for s/cams but it is about £19 a year same as tomtom

Edited by TD 42

It has to be TOMTOM for me. I use my 520t for eight hours a day every day, driving a 7. 5 tonner all over West mids, staffs, warks, shrops, Glos, And Herefodshire. From accounts off other people you don't get as much for your money as you do with TT. Like POI's. You get all the normal ones but you can also add your POI categories. I have about 150 Butty vans, (down from 250 on the old one) :D on mine. You get your speed cameras, and the 5, 7 and 9 series models all give you blue tooth for linking a mobile phone and thus giving you hands free calling. You can also link them to your car stereo through a spare fm frequency and have the instructions through your car speakers. Like I say, I can't speak for other makes, but I know I will never change.

Sorry to ramble, got a bit carried away there. :huh:

Forgot to say I do not pay any extra for speed cameras.

Edited by amyandrob

LANDY DISCO TD5(2003)

ADRIA ADORA 532 UK(2005)

Try here www. satnaveasy. co. uk. Cheaper than anywhere else I tried.

Regards
Ian

I got my sat nav recently from argos clearance sales (an ebay outlet). The argos outlet has an ever-changing selection of sat navs from various makers to choose from at knock down prices - may are supersceded models though so do beware (if you want the very latest maps etc. ,.) that you know exactly what you are buying after researching the web for reviews.

I've been using TT on a pda for years but its power connector is dodgy and won't charge in the car any more - not to mention the crack on the screen where I (accidentally) hit it. We've found it invaluable for finding our way around strange towns and getting back to base quickly when away in the 'van. So I did a lot of online study of sat navs and read a lot of reviews and some user forums (or should thet be fora?).

In the end I got a 'refurbished' TT 520T UK&ROI maps (and TT updated it to the latest on sight of the receipt) for £113 inc P&P. I went for this model as it was the cheapest large screen model that TT included in their "latest map guarantee". The maps originally supplied were about 12 months old but they didn't include two new 'bypass' roads here in Lowestoft that the latest maps do!

Edited by Firestar

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I think I've given up on the 'cheap'

wondering about a Tomtom with 'advanced lane guidance' . ... some of the M6 and M25 junctions are horrors for trying to find the right lane . ...

anybody got one?

how good is it?

I think I've given up on the 'cheap'

wondering about a Tomtom with 'advanced lane guidance' . ... some of the M6 and M25 junctions are horrors for trying to find the right lane . ...

anybody got one?

how good is it?

Yep i have the 730 with advanced lane guidance and it was extremely useful on my recent trip to Spain and Portugal with very clear advanced instructions on junction approaches

Just got the "latest" TOM -- the tom tom 740 L -- great bit of kit

-- you "talk" to it and tell it what you want to do. .

"navigate to favourite"

"navigate to Post code"

"Navigate to address"

etc etc

you can still use your finger -- but it is sooooo easy now. .

even telephoning is completely "hands free"

If you get a text it reads it out !!

we have had the Classic since inception -- but this is just great !!!

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club