Removing Spare Wheel

b6x

As part of a noseweight reducing exercise, I'm contemplating removing the spare wheel from the front locker and replacing with either a can of that foam stuff (tyre weld?) or an alloy wheel instead of steel. I'm not fussed about the condition of the alloy etc as it'll just be a "get me home" measure, and this is probably my preferred option as the can of spray stuff will not cover me for a total tyre failure. .. but just wondering what others opinions are.

does everyone carry a spare?

towcar #1: Vauxhall Vectra 1. 9 CDTi 150

towcar #2: Honda CR-V 2. 2 CDTi

caravan: Compass Corona 475

How about an Alko spare whhel carrier - it slings off the chassis behind the wheels

does everyone carry a spare

It's a good idea, but don't forget the jack as well.

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.

In order to comply with the terms and conditions of most breakdown companies, they reqire a serviceable spare wheel to be carried.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Moving to the underslung spare wheel carrier does make a significant reduction in noseweight and creates more space in the fornt locker for light, bulky items, like water containers.

Don't reduce your noseweight too much though. Its best to keep it as high as possible without exceeding the permitted loading on your tow vehicle, which is normally the limiting factor.

Brian

. ... you do really need to carry a spare.

Why, when a lot of new cars don't even come with a spare any more. Ours doesn't. Just an electric pump and a bottle of tyre weld. Not even a jack.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Why, when a lot of new cars don't even come with a spare any more. Ours doesn't. Just an electric pump and a bottle of tyre weld. Not even a jack.

We have three Ford Galaxys in our fleet, and it was a good idea (not) about no spare wheel and a can of gunk and pump, one of them had a blow out, the tyre tread came away from the carcass of the tyre, recovery company couldn't understand it, until they saw with there own eyes why the driver could not inflate tyre with gunk.

I always carry a spare wheel, and not a space saver.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Dose seem a bit crazy not to have a spare.

Tyre weld only works if it's flat but still in good condition.

Underslung carrier is the way to go, just make sure you keep it greased.

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

A can of gunge will never be a satisfactory alternative to a spare wheel. And, if you tow a caravan, the car wheel spare should preferably be a full sized one.

When we went to France last year, during making my arrangements with the C. C. travel service I was advised that, in the event of needing roadside assistance for a puncture, the absence of a serviceable spare would incur a £100 surcharge. So I carried a fullsized spare in the luggage compartment; with a resultant severe loss of stowage space. I have now changed my car to one with a properly stoed, conventional spare wheel.

On the subject of the caravan chassis-mounted Al-ko spare wheel carrier.

I have one of these carriers, along with a steel spare, that came standard with the caravan. Though never yet having to use the spare, if have realised some short-comings in this arrangement.

To access the spare, the carrier is unhooked then lowered to pull it sideways from under the van by means of its extendable arms. But even after jacking up the van, any high verge, kerb, or kerbside obstruction will probably prevent extending of the carrier. Also, if you happen to be travelling on the continent, you would be extending the carrier into the path of other traffic.

I would therefore advise against changing your spare form the front locker to an underslung carrier.

I am still in the process of trying to devise a modification to this carrier that will allow me to drop the whole unit free from under the van and pull it rearwards to gain access to the wheel. Apart from absolute safety, I have to consider the fact that the caravan is still inside the manufacturer's warranty.

I have had a spare wheel carrier under my van for several years and I have never had a problem getting the wheel out. If the puncture is on the O/S you will not have any problems removing the spare. If the puncture is on the N/S and the van is too low to get the wheel out, place one of your levelling ramps in front of the punctured wheel and tow the van up that, you will now be able to get the wheel out.

We spend several weeks across the channel, and something I always do before I depart, is to remove the wheel carrier and fit it the other way round so the it pulls out to the O/S, then if you need the spare you will not be pulling out in to the traffic, which you will appreciate if on a French Autoroute or anywhere in Spain!

Regards
Terry Birch

Due to fitting air-con and having to keep the circulation vents in the floor clear I had to move the spare to the opposite side.

Very handy for touring abroad not so good for the UK.

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

I have had a spare wheel carrier under my van for several years and I have never had a problem getting the wheel out. If the puncture is on the O/S you will not have any problems removing the spare. If the puncture is on the N/S and the van is too low to get the wheel out, place one of your levelling ramps in front of the punctured wheel and tow the van up that, you will now be able to get the wheel out.

We spend several weeks across the channel, and something I always do before I depart, is to remove the wheel carrier and fit it the other way round so the it pulls out to the O/S, then if you need the spare you will not be pulling out in to the traffic, which you will appreciate if on a French Autoroute or anywhere in Spain!

What a good idea!

I assume it is relatively easy to do. (as easy as anything is with the carrier, I always find it difficult to remove the spare)

Thanks

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

When I got my series 7 Pageant Burgundy last summer the dealer had to fit the motor mover behind the wheels, that meant removing the ALKO carrier and of course spare wheel.

I know what you mean about pulling the ALKO spare wheel carrier out if you have a puncture, I'm only little and not in my first flush of youth, so always found it a hard strenuous task, pulling out the wheel, greasing the rods and checking the tyre pressure. I was always very tired afterwards. Imagine having to do this on a French autoroute, nightime, raining and miles from the next campsite.

The spare wheel nows goes under the rear fixed bed, it's quick and easy to acess and no grease is needed and it's always clean.

I'm happy with this arrangement and it's one I would heartily recommend.

Oh and I sold the ALKO carrier for £50.

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

The spare wheel nows goes under the rear fixed bed, it's quick and easy to acess and no grease is needed and it's always clean.

I'm happy with this arrangement and it's one I would heartily recommend.

I have done the same thing - alko carrier in the loft to be refitted when I sell the 'van, the spare wheel under the bed, clean and easy to get at !!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Now you all have taken the spare wheel out of it's housing, how many have checked the condition of the spare wheel?

When i did mine i was worried about the groove's in my tyre's sidewall caused by the bars holding it in place, lad at work had to replace his tyre, which was new as it had never been used and the grooves were that bad, hence me checking mine, i have put pipe insulation foam on my retaining bars to cushion the wear, and i do a regular check on it, please check yours, i would hate for anyone to have a flat only to find that their spare wheel is "Kaput", i have found out the missus's C2 car's spare wheel was in a the same state, which has now been rectified.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Another tip for spare wheels:-

If you have an alloy one like we have, make sure that you wrap it something before putting it in the carrier, otherwise you will be very disappointed when you get it out as the wheel will most likely be marked. Ours is wrapped in one of those 12mm foam campiing mats.

Regards
Terry Birch

I think Avondale had a good idea. Didn’t they place the spare wheel under a trap door in the floor above the axle? They also placed the gas bottles in a dedicated locker around the middle of the caravan. This would then leave plenty of room in the front locker for bulky lighter items like the waist master and a couple of aquarolls.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

I think Avondale had a good idea. Didn’t they place the spare wheel under a trap door in the floor above the axle? They also placed the gas bottles in a dedicated locker around the middle of the caravan. This would then leave plenty of room in the front locker for bulky lighter items like the waist master and a couple of aquarolls.

Back in the late 70s or the early 80s we had a van, which I think was a Thompson Glen (something) and that had 2 trap doors both of which were near the axle, one was for the spare wheel and its tool kit, and the other was a zinc lined cool box which was very efficient indeed.

Regards
Terry Birch

I you got that wright thelonegroover I've got an Avondale dart and the spare is under the trap door in the middle of the van, and the gas locker is over the axle, I think its great, but the front locker isn't very big, but still think the vans great. .

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"

1999 300Tdi Discovery Auto/1999 Avondale Dart 515/4

Now you all have taken the spare wheel out of it's housing, how many have checked the condition of the spare wheel?

When i did mine i was worried about the groove's in my tyre's sidewall caused by the bars holding it in place, lad at work had to replace his tyre, which was new as it had never been used and the grooves were that bad, hence me checking mine, i have put pipe insulation foam on my retaining bars to cushion the wear, and i do a regular check on it, please check yours, i would hate for anyone to have a flat only to find that their spare wheel is "Kaput", i have found out the missus's C2 car's spare wheel was in a the same state, which has now been rectified.

I had the same problem which left me with an unusable spare ;),

I cut the bottom out of a plastic barrel & sat the wheel (with new tyre :angry: ) on this before fitting it back into the carrier,

& after the performance I had trying to remove the spare from our old caravan when I bought our new one, I gave the carrier away, I now keep the spare wheel over the axle in the caravan,

When we're on site, the spare is put under the van to hold the step & prevent it from moving

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

May be a silly question but can the caravan stabilisers be used to raise the van whilst changing the wheel?

This would save carrying a jack around, & effectively it would only be up on them for a short period.

Cheers

Ken.

<_<

Ken, Gill, Bronte & Millie.

Mitsubishi Barbarian towing Elddis Avante

May be a silly question but can the caravan stabilisers be used to raise the van whilst changing the wheel?

This would save carrying a jack around, & effectively it would only be up on them for a short period.

Well, on our 1980 Sprite Alpine you could, as the manual confirmed. Things are a bit flimsier these days though!