What Caravan To Buy (we're New To Caravans) Help!

LindaJane

Hello Everyone.

I wonder if you could give me some advice. My husband and I would like to buy a caravan, however we have narrowed it down to that last few, and can not make a decision, please could you help me, let me know what you think of our choices.

We were looking for a 4-6 birth, as we have 3 children, (ages 3, 11 and 13), however, the 2 older children are my step children and may not always come on holiday with us, so it'll just be the 3 of us.

Do we go for a 4 birth, and manage when the 2 other children are with us, OR

go for the 6 birth, and so we do have room when they are with us??????

HELP!!!!!!!!

As we are new to caravans we're not sure if our shortlist is ok, and what are the pro's and con's. I really would appreciate some advice to help us make the right choice.

Our choices are:

Luner 525

Luner 546

Bailey Ardennes

Bailey Provence.

I look forward to your reply's.

Kind regards

Linda :D

Welcome to CT2, choices is really down to individual need, before yo go and spend your money thing that you will need to ask yourself is have you got the right car to tow your caravan. once you have establish then you will get a lot of opinions. to start with what car have you got.

Idealy the lay out of the caravan will help you choose which one to buy. you said that it is very likely that there will be only the 3 of you therefore a 4 berth will be just fine and if you need more room then you can use an awning with annex. I can't tell you much about lunar as I have always have Bailey and the Provence is very popular with family.

Thanks for your advice, Im in such a tiz of what one to go for.

Indeed it is not very easy to decide which one to go for. I am sure you will get more opinions from others soon.

Edited by Guest

Hi We have a BMW 320D Tourer.

It depends on the year of you car.

3 Series

Touring In production Kerb Weight KG 85% Weight KG Max Ball Weight KG Max Towing Weight KG

320 D SE 2002 1580 1343 75 1800

320d 2007 1580 1282 75 1600

320d Auto 2007 1595 1356 75 1600

If you have the 2002-2007 model you can tow 1343KG. We have the Adria Altea 542UK 5 birth which is 1300KG fully laden. This is a very light van for it's size and we love it.

It's also very good for Families as it has 2 Full size bunk beds( top bunk 70Kg max weight) and the other single bed opposite. This whole section has a concertina door that partitions it from the rest of the van,which is great for us at night. We then have full access to the toilet,kitchen etc without disturbing the kids.

I have seen brand new one's from the 2008 range for as little as £7500. What is your Budget?

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

I agree, if you can find one then the Adria is the make to go for. We have two (lovely children :blink:) of 7 and 5, but we still went for the 6 berth. Gives you more space and an option of catering for more people if you decided you wanted to share your pride and joy with others. Fixed bunks are also a better bet for ease of use. Most dealers I have spoke to have tried to put me off fixed bunks. Thankfully I never took their "EXPERT" advice :P.

Hope you find a good un'

LANDY DISCO TD5(2003)

ADRIA ADORA 532 UK(2005)

Getting a new caravan is the closest thing I can get to that resembles the "Kid with a new toy" feeling :lol::rolleyes:

I usually spend the first day cleaning it inside & out (even if it was clean in the first place!)

The second day is arranging where everything is going :blink:

Hi everyone.

Thanks for to those who came back to me. We've made a decision and bought a Bailey Pageant Provence.

Im really excited, cant wait to get it and go away!!

Thaanks again.

Linda

Good choice if you have any questions just ask.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for to those who came back to me. We've made a decision and bought a Bailey Pageant Provence.

Im really excited, cant wait to get it and go away!!

Thaanks again.

Linda

That van has a Gross weight of 1490kg. What year was your 320D? I don't want to put a dampener on it but is you car OK to pull this

? I am sorry if I am wrong!

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

Now thats what I call decisive. 24 hours from posting to buying ! Welcome to caravanning, the best way to have a family holiday. The van may be a bit heavy for the car ? Go on one of the caravan clubs manouvering courses, makes towing a lot easier.

Regards
Ian

Hi everyone

Thanks for your concerns regarding the weight. The dealer checked our car details on their computer system and it's ok to tow.

Ive also a Nissan Terrano which I already use to tow a horse trailer with, and as BMW have given us a cost of just under £1000 :( to get a towbar fitted which is such a rip-off, im thinking of trading my Terrano in for a bigger 4x4.

Im only in my 30's and Im excited about caravaning, I think its the way to go. I cant wait, and neither can the children, infact Im more excited then them!!!! :)

Yeh you're right, it is like getting a new toy, and yes I cant wait to start buying the items to go in it.

Thanks everyone!

oopp sorry forgot to mention the BMW can tow 1700.

This may well be the case but that does not mean to say that you can tow a caravan of that weight. The manufacturers towing limit is based on the ability to restart on an 1 in 8 hill and gives no indication of stability. There is a big difference between towing a builders trailer loaded with bricks and a high sided caravan of the same weight. The recommendation of all caravan organisations is that for an inexperienced tower, the caravan MTPLM (max load) should be less than 85% of the car kerb weight. You will be running in the order of 95% so need to be careful. Caravan dealers are only interested in selling you a caravan and not necessarily in your safety. I would suggest you read the Caravan Club beginners guide.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/NR/rdonlyres/...Caravanning. pdf

The other thing you need to be aware of is that the sum of the max authorised weights of your combination is over 3500kg and therefore you need a B+E driving licence or have passed your driving test before 1 Jan 1997. Sorry to be a bit negative but you need to be aware of the regulations, otherwise you could be illegal and therefore uninsured.

Brian

Hi everyone

Thanks for your concerns regarding the weight. The dealer checked our car details on their computer system and it's ok to tow.

Ive also a Nissan Terrano which I already use to tow a horse trailer with, and as BMW have given us a cost of just under £1000 :( to get a towbar fitted which is such a rip-off, im thinking of trading my Terrano in for a bigger 4x4.

Im only in my 30's and Im excited about caravaning, I think its the way to go. I cant wait, and neither can the children, infact Im more excited then them!!!! :)

Yeh you're right, it is like getting a new toy, and yes I cant wait to start buying the items to go in it.

Thanks everyone!

We tow with aTerrano, very stable outfit. The fuel consumption brings tears to my eyes though, 24 towing 31 solo.

Regards
Ian

Hi

Both my husband and I passed our tests well before 1997, like I mentioned earlier, I tow my horsebox, so im aware of towing regs.

I agree Jan, the Fuel is not the best with the Terrano, but its a workhorse off the vehicle, its got me out of a few sticky moments when Ive been to competitions with my horse, when you see other folk stuck in mud or on wet grass, then I just pull straight past them, its a lovely feeling. ha ha.

Thanks again.

Linda