Generators

I know I've got no right to come up here asking for help when I keep extracting the pith - BUT - without getting too technical - what if any, would be the consequences of trying to draw more current that a generator could supply.

Would the appliance that you were trying to use just fail to work properly?

Would the generator 'cut-out' before any damage was done?

What if the 'cut-out' failed to work.

My generator is rated at 600 Watts continuous usage 750 peak usage - whatever that means. Either you're drawing 600 watts or 750 watts.

Does it mean I can have 750 watts for 10 minutes? 15 minutes?

I only ask because we had a power-cut recently and I used it to keep the fridge & freezer cold and to provide the power to the central heating pump and controls.

When I made the connection - after allowing the genny to warm up for a few mins to take the choke off - it nearly stalled, recovered, nearly stalled, recovered a second time. It seemed to be 'racing' a little bit but ran smoothly for over an hour and a half.

My fridge and freezer are both getting on a bit and probably not very energy efficient, but I wouldn't have thought I was exceeding 600 watts.

Please don't bombard my crippled brain cells with any 'rocket science', but I would be interested if any members can tell me how much overload the genny can tolerate before cut out. And does that overload, if repeated 'damage' the genny in any way, or does the cut-out operate sufficiently early enough to protect the innards?

ATB

You can not reason with an unreasonable person.

Should have used it to keep pacemaker going :lol: Sorry did not know just wanted to to take the ? :rolleyes:

Chris L

Thanks for that.

BUT

If the cut-out operates, does it do so BEFORE any harm is done?

Will repeated operations of the cut-out circuitry in any way diminish the reliability/life of the genny?

The 'genny' is 2 stroke end of range Clarke Power sold off at less than half price - which as a pensioner I liked. It don't seem to go as far as it used to - twenty quid I mean.

There are 'pop-out' push to reset cut-outs on both mains and 12vdc outputs and I have never tripped either yet.

Dunno if this is because they don't work or because I haven't pushed it too far yet.

It's a bit on the noisy side - compared to a Honda - but as I camp in remote places that isn't a problem (usually put it behind a tree if I need to run it).

Mainly I've got it as stand-by in case the sun doesn't shine on me solar panel enough or I don't keep the second battery fully charged.

I was only curious as to whether the genny was taking too much punishment.

The bit about instant/start-up load being greater than running load I understood.

I can't get behind the fridge and freezer to check wattages and wouldn't have a clue what the central heating pump draws but clearly it wasn't too much cos the genny wouldn't have kept going for so long.

I tried plugging a 'hot air' gun into it (1400 watts) and when I switched it on the genny coughed a few times and stopped - but the cut-out didn't operate. Is there any way of checking whether the cut-out works other than what I've tried?

ATB

Thanks very much for your answers - so the fact that the cut-out doesn't isn't necessarily a problem.

I'll just have to play around with different loads and see if I can break it. Then the memsahib will have to let me buy a Honda.

ATVB

The overload cut out is a safety device to protect not only the generator but the equipment connected to the generator. If the cut out fails to operate on a genuine overload, the generator will slow down and may eventually stall (like a car going up a hill). During this time the frequency and voltage will change and may possibly affect anything connected, particularly electronic equipment.

Brian

Ta Brian, - I'm still gonna test it to destruction. Only way I can get memsahib to agree to the expenditure for a new one is if the one I've got packs up!

She doesn't wear the trousers - but life is so much easier if she thinks I take notice of her! :D

Praps I'll just keep trying to boil a 1200watt kettle in the garrij?

Praps I'll just keep trying to boil a 1200watt kettle in the garrij?

14644[/snapback]

Can't see a 600w generator supplying a 1200w kettle, but dont think it would damage the kettle. Be interested to see what happens when you switch the kettle on. Don't have high hopes for making the tea.

Brian

Brian! You are not supposed to be indulging in banter with a self-confessed eejit escapee from the basement.

Don't give a toss about the kettle - it leaks - just couldn't bring myself to chuck it out.

I WANT A NEW GENNY - sorry not shouting. But memsahib won't approve the budget until the one I've got packs up! Just tempted to give it a little help!

:D

Ha Ha Ha

14656[/snapback]

I think you may find yourself back downstairs soon. As for the gen I reckon if you ask nicely she'll buy you a new one

Edited by Wildkat