Buying New Cars Online.

Livi

As it says on the tin.

After looking at various nearly new car deals, and having decided I can't tear myself away from Citroen, I've been looking at new C5 deals on 'tinternet.

Some of the advertised deals are £2k to £3k better than the best my local Citroen dealers are offering ( someone hasn't told them it's supposed to be a buyer's market) and are very close to the nearly new deals.

Now, I'm a cynical old git and wonder if anyone on here has been there and done it?

Are the deals for real? Who are the best suppliers? What are the pitfalls? Is my money/deal secure?

I just know someone will have at least some of the answers, or can point me to somewhere which will!

Over to the masses!

Edited by Livi

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

I haven't done it - but only because I decided to buy nearly new rather than new.

Car manufacturers have two price lists - the Recommended Retail Price which is used by the dealers and the Inland Revenue - the dealers margin is 8-10% and they often genuinely can't do any better than give away all their margin, sometimes to accumulate volume bonuses.

The other "price list" is never published but is used to negotiate bulk and fleet prices and is way below RRP, sometimes 50%, but substantial even when not that good - it's these prices that the reputable discount houses tap into - the cars are full UK specification, with full UK warranty, and are PDI'd and delivered at/from a normal franchised dealer - very possibly the same franchised dealer whose hands are tied if you deal direct with them.

Make sure the supplier claims to supply UK vehicles from a UK dealer - this may cut out the very cheapest deals (apparently cheapest anyway) but the financial difference is small - there are some discount houses sourcing cars from less desirable places.

UK Car Discount is/was well respected - check out motoring websites like Honest John for discount houses they will allow their own reputation to be associated with.

I havn't bought a car online myself but my bruv-in-law bought

a Toyota Landcruiser from the link below and saved £7k. ...hope this helps

http://www. drivethedeal. com/

VW Tiguan AllSpace  tugging Swift Challenger 565

If at first you don't succeed. . . .Skydiving ain't for you. . . .

I bought a Fiat Punto in Nov 02 online from Pendragon Cars. Very good price and a very good service. The car was actually supplied by Co-op Cars in Derbyshire. It had full dealer warranties, etc. just as if I'd bought it from our local dealer, who, by the way, wouldn't / couldn't get anywhere near.

The car was a suprise birthday present for my wife and delivery was bang on time. ( I'm not being flash. I had some back pay and we needed a new car and got loads of Brownie Points as well )

We just changed that car last month. Back in November I went to our local Ford dealer to have a look at the new Fiesta and then went on the internet to see what I could get one for. The final price I got online was over £1500 less than the dealer quoted and the car was going to be supplied by a main Ford dealer only about 45 miles away.

This time my local dealer reluctantly matched the price. If they hadn't I would have bought online again.

As the new Fiesta had only just been launched I don't think the discounts were as great as they would have been for a car that had been out for a couple of years.

I understand that some online suppliers will also do part exchange deals but I've no experience of this.

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

My friend bought a new Mondeo Ghia from a company that he found on the internet but he did all the dealings over the phone. His savings were a massive £5,000 and they even took his Volvo in part exchange albeit he felt that the price offered was about £500 below the current trade in rate. It was delivered from Chiswick and his car collected.

No finance was available and the suppliers kept the log book for 6 months - I assume to stop a quick resale. Delivery took 3 weeks when his Ford dealer was quoting 12+ weeks but he had to have one of the models and colours that the supplier had available.

It was a genuine UK supplied vehicle and my friends only concern was whether it had been through a PDI/service so he took it to a Ford garage who charged £139 to put his mind at rest.

Bill

After looking at various nearly new car deals, and having decided I can't tear myself away from Citroen, I've been looking at new C5 deals on 'tinternet.

Now here's a sensible man who appreciates the value of Citroens :P - we keep four of them in the family.

I bought my second BX through a broker (Drive-the-deal) at an excellent price. The formalilities couldn't have been easier. No cash was handed over until I'd seen the car, and then that was to the Citroen dealer. Seven years later when I wanted a new Xantia I went to two brokers and got two very similar quotes. I then when to my local Citroen dealer, told them about the quotes I had and asked them if they could match the price. They readily agreed and took my order.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

My friend bought a new Mondeo Ghia from a company that he found on the internet but he did all the dealings over the phone. His savings were a massive £5,000 and they even took his Volvo in part exchange albeit he felt that the price offered was about £500 below the current trade in rate. It was delivered from Chiswick and his car collected.

No finance was available and the suppliers kept the log book for 6 months - I assume to stop a quick resale. Delivery took 3 weeks when his Ford dealer was quoting 12+ weeks but he had to have one of the models and colours that the supplier had available.

It was a genuine UK supplied vehicle and my friends only concern was whether it had been through a PDI/service so he took it to a Ford garage who charged £139 to put his mind at rest.

Bill

Sounds as if it was a pre-registered car, which wouldn't worry me as long as it was delivery mileage.

Now here's a sensible man who appreciates the value of Citroens :P - we keep four of them in the family.

I bought my second BX through a broker (Drive-the-deal) at an excellent price. The formalilities couldn't have been easier. No cash was handed over until I'd seen the car, and then that was to the Citroen dealer. Seven years later when I wanted a new Xantia I went to two brokers and got two very similar quotes. I then when to my local Citroen dealer, told them about the quotes I had and asked them if they could match the price. They readily agreed and took my order.

Your dealer is obviously much larger or much more accomodating than mine.

When I pointed out the deals available all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and "I don't know how they do it"! Aye right! Of course you don't!

And this from a dealer from whom I have bought four consecutive new cars ! <_<

So far the best deals seem to be on BuyaCar.

I'll try to pluck up courage and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies so far but keep them coming, especially any negatives!

Edited by Livi

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.