Security

justhi

Hi All,

Once again i have a silly question to ask, It probably has a very simple answer, Or may be its one of those questions every one wants to ask, but thinks its so silly they wont. . LOL. ..

We have been told by our insurance company that we need to have two forms of security on at all times, one of the favored security items being the Alko wheel locks, I say locks as we have a twin axle caravan.

As you guys will be aware to fit these the locating pin has to be fully central to the aperture in the alloy, this is OK if you need to fit just one lock, But the insurance company says as we have a twin axle 2 of these locks need to be fitted.

Last weekend as the van was on the driveway to be loaded i thought i would jack the van up and move the wheels so this would be possible . . No probs, thought this would be the end of the matter, But no, when we arrived at the site, the wheels were not in sink with each other, So the question is. How do you over come this problem easily.

BMW X5 3. 0sd m sport twin turbo. Fleetwood Heritage ES6 (2009) Best car ever owned subaru impreza wr1

Hi All,

Once again i have a silly question to ask, It probably has a very simple answer, Or may be its one of those questions every one wants to ask, but thinks its so silly they wont. . LOL. ..

We have been told by our insurance company that we need to have two forms of security on at all times, one of the favored security items being the Alko wheel locks, I say locks as we have a twin axle caravan.

As you guys will be aware to fit these the locating pin has to be fully central to the aperture in the alloy, this is OK if you need to fit just one lock, But the insurance company says as we have a twin axle 2 of these locks need to be fitted.

Last weekend as the van was on the driveway to be loaded i thought i would jack the van up and move the wheels so this would be possible . . No probs, thought this would be the end of the matter, But no, when we arrived at the site, the wheels were not in sink with each other, So the question is. How do you over come this problem easily.

Hi Justhi

As you say your insurance requires two forms of security, whats wrong with the wheel lock and a hitch lock ?

now admitting the alko wheel locks are probley the best, and if two are fitted poss VERY secure, but as you say

they are hard work fitting them on site.

The other option is change your insurance for one that does not require all these devices !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi Justhi

As you say your insurance requires two forms of security, whats wrong with the wheel lock and a hitch lock ?

now admitting the alko wheel locks are probley the best, and if two are fitted poss VERY secure, but as you say

they are hard work fitting them on site.

The other option is change your insurance for one that does not require all these devices !

Radiotwo

If we fit only 1 alko lock, this does not count as a security item, you need to have both fitted, because they say if you deflate the 1 wheel with the lock fitted the wheel does not nesseserry need to turn. . (Mad i know)

BMW X5 3. 0sd m sport twin turbo. Fleetwood Heritage ES6 (2009) Best car ever owned subaru impreza wr1

How does your insurance know you have the Alko receivers fitted?

i have a Fleetwood and i didnt know it came with the receiver fitted until i got it.

And no, it wont get used.

As is said id change to an insurance company that is more reasonable.

Without knowing your age, can you imagine if you put your van away and its lashing down with rain, how on earth can they consider jacking up a van and twirling a wheel to be safe in the rain and possible winds?

I would certainly ask them to clarify this fact in writing, as they are suggesting it may be necessary for you to endanger yourself to comply with their wishes.

And im sure they have a "duty of care" to be reasonable in regards conditions imposed.

I would also worry if they can be THIS pedantic and this awkward over securing the van, when there are other options, i wouldnt like to try to have to claim from them.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Hi All,

Alko locks are not the only locks available, there are plenty of options designed specifically for twin axled caravans, most of which are far easier to use and woud count as one security device for insurance purposes. If you do opt for Alko locks, good as the insurance bods think they are, you are looking at around £500 for 2. Value for money? Not in my book.

I often wonder how many insurance underwriters even know what an Alko wheel lock looks like, let alone performs like, before they avise you to use one?

As for posing a silly question, there are no silly questions! We all learn through inquisitiveness.

Have Bailey - Will Travel

Cheers guys for all your comments,

The question i posted so far has had 146 views, just shows how active the site is, but as yet only four comments,

From this i take it there is going to be no easy way to get round this problem, so i will have to think again. .lol

Since you used to own a decent car - my observation is how silly the situation that both single and twin axle caravans may need to be jacked up to fit the Al-Ko wheel lock - twins to get the second wheel to line up and singles if you've used a ramp for levelling.

It might be acceptable at home/storage where you know how solid the ground is but I would never willingly jack up a caravan on a pitch as you simply don't know how good the ground is.

The Al-Ko wheel lock is probably very effective security but impractical for many owners - any caravan I buy from now on is likely to be fitted with one, but it'll be ignored. I'll continue to use the hitch lock, wheel clamp and alarm for security, any two of which meet my insurers requirements with a discount for the third.

Having worked in Insurance many years ago, they will find any way they can to refuse to pay out and that will be by you not using any fitted security item.

Jeff

I don't see a problem with jacking up a twin on a pitch to fit the Alkos, we do it all the time.

It is for us actually easier than at home as we have a sloping drive and no possibility of remaining hitched up while jacking, so at home we use 1 Alko and 1 Nemesis wheel clamp.

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

I have the AlKo Wheel Lock but only use it at home as it is a "pain" to fit at times even on a single axle. Therefore when touring I use a SAS SuperClamp Gold wheel clamp which is dead easy to fit where it can be seen on the offside wheel (instead of the nearside for the AlKo where it cannot be seen!).

This is added to with the AlKo hitch lock and the alarm system.

If that not good enough for the Insurance then I would find another or forgo the small additional discount for not having AlKo device fitted.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

Hi There

I have an SAS Gridlock and this is fantastic as both wheels do not have to be in the same position. All that you need is to ensure that the bolt can get through the wheel to the receiver.

Their web address is:

http://www. sasproducts. com/acatalog/index. html

However, I would also call them and confirm if this is still avalible. It is a Gold standard product as well. Worth a look

Hi There

I have an SAS Gridlock and this is fantastic as both wheels do not have to be in the same position. All that you need is to ensure that the bolt can get through the wheel to the receiver.

Their web address is:

http://www. sasproducts. com/acatalog/index. html

However, I would also call them and confirm if this is still avalible. It is a Gold standard product as well. Worth a look

After shopping around for insurance the Caravan Club was very competitive especially with the discounts for security. Basic security requirements were very reasonable. Some of the many insurers that I enquired with were totally unreasonable and wouldnt insure if you didn't comply. Happy not to go with such companies as how could I be sure the wouldn't wriggle out should I be unfortunate enough to have to claim.

[My reply is to the origonal post - I struggle with this laptop!]

Edited by R U Sure

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570