July 2009 What Do You Think Of This As A Plan?

Hi. .. Thought I would ask anyones advice and opinion on our plans for our summer holidays in July 2009. ... Family of 4 ~ 2 adults and 2 small boys 5yrs and 8yrs old . .. What do you think? Firstly we are from N. Ireland so we are travelling on the ferry on a Friday evening from Larne - Cairnryan so we should be in Cairnryan around 10. 30pm the plan is then to drive down through the night to Alton Towers and stay there for 2 nights Sat + Sun then drive from Alton Towers to Perran Sands in Cornwall staying there for 5 nights then from Cornwall over to Bournemouth staying there for 4 nights then from Bournemouth to Brighton for 2 nights then from Brighton to London, Crystal Palace site for 5 nights then finally to Southport for 5 nights. ... and back to Cainryan for ferry home to N. Ireland. What do you think? Are we being realistic? We love sightseeing but kids also love the seaside and theme parks etc so we are trying to fit a bit of everything into the 3 weeks. ... Any advice and tips on sites that are good for families would be greatly appreciated. :D

Ranger 540/6. .. Love it dearly!!!

Wow - what an adventure!

No doubt you'd have already thought about how busy the roads will be especially in late July. Have you travelled in SW & South Coast before? To my mind -- I'd watch the time of day you get through Birmingham when goin to Cornwall and then watch all the roads going along the south. They'll be busy with lots of holiday traffic and there's little in the way of fast routes of course. But hey! When you have a mobile cafe & hotel on the back who cares about traffic volumes! ;)

Bashley Park (Hoburne site) just outside Bournemouth was okay for my lads albeit a bit noisy for my liking.

650-6 Argente (with appropriate cracks)

Toyota Prado (Landcruiser import)

5 kids, wife, cats & dogs in tow

I would suggest that when you leave Alton Towers, you want to aim to get past the M5/M4 interchange at Bristol before 8am, otherwise you are going to spend a very long time in queuing traffic. I havent towed to Cornwall but I have driven there many times. In heavy traffic, towing, I would estimate a drive time of 8 hours plus if you leave late. 5 hours if you leave early. Crystal Palace is a pleasant site and the train station is only a 10 minute walk, and the train in to London takes 20 mins. The boys will travel free on the London Tansport system. Have a great holiday.

PS my better half is from NI. Lovely part of the world, although the pace of life is bit slow for me, a city boy a heart.

Regards
Ian

I would suggest that when you leave Alton Towers, you want to aim to get past the M5/M4 interchange at Bristol

Oh yes. Forgot about that one also! -- I have a mate who took his van from Bolton to perran sands once and it took him around 10 hrs cos of the Birmingham & Bristol hold ups! Hope we're not putting you off.

I would suggest that when you leave Alton Towers, you want to aim to get past the M5/M4 interchange at Bristol before 8am, otherwise you are going to spend a very long time in queuing traffic. I havent towed to Cornwall but I have driven there many times. In heavy traffic, towing, I would estimate a drive time of 8 hours plus if you leave late. 5 hours if you leave early. Crystal Palace is a pleasant site and the train station is only a 10 minute walk, and the train in to London takes 20 mins. The boys will travel free on the London Tansport system. Have a great holiday.

PS my better half is from NI. Lovely part of the world, although the pace of life is bit slow for me, a city boy a heart.

Thank-you so much. You have confirmed what we thought about the traffic and we will be sure to leave Alton Towers early in the morning. With regards to the Crystal Palace site have you any ideas or tips on what would be the best way for us to travel just for the day to Legoland. ... Ta

Oh yes. Forgot about that one also! -- I have a mate who took his van from Bolton to perran sands once and it took him around 10 hrs cos of the Birmingham & Bristol hold ups! Hope we're not putting you off.

Thank-you so much we will be sure to leave Alton Towers early. ... the thought of 10hrs to Cornwall will have us up at the crack of dawn. ... thank-you.

Not sure where you are stopping at Southport but the cc site there is nice. The town is nice as well and the park but if your kids want a paddle check the tide times as if it's out it's a long walk for a paddle :P

Thank-you so much. You have confirmed what we thought about the traffic and we will be sure to leave Alton Towers early in the morning. With regards to the Crystal Palace site have you any ideas or tips on what would be the best way for us to travel just for the day to Legoland. ... Ta

If you haven't booked Crystal Palace do it NOW, it gets very busy in summer. Legoland is right across London. South Circular Road/M4 is probably the best (or worst :( ) route. Crystal Palace to Legoland 35 miles. However, London traffic tends to be lighter in the July holiday period. Check the TfL website for bus and tube tickets, fares and maps.

My only thought (not expertise) would be about the South Coast.

You may have very good reason to have Bournmouth and Brighton as separate venues but if you stayed somewhere in between Southampton and Portsmouth (Rookesbury Park CC site at Fareham?) both Bournmouth and Brighton (as well as Southampton, Winchester and Portsmouth) are about a 1 hour drive.

You could also have a day on the Isle of Wight if funds run to cover the ferry crossing with the car (or you could go on the Hovercraft as a treat for the kids and use public transport to get around).

Just a thought.

G.

Not sure where you are stopping at Southport but the cc site there is nice. The town is nice as well and the park but if your kids want a paddle check the tide times as if it's out it's a long walk for a paddle :P

Yes. .. got that one booked looking forward to it lets hope we get the weather for a paddle! :D

If you haven't booked Crystal Palace do it NOW, it gets very busy in summer. Legoland is right across London. South Circular Road/M4 is probably the best (or worst :( ) route. Crystal Palace to Legoland 35 miles. However, London traffic tends to be lighter in the July holiday period. Check the TfL website for bus and tube tickets, fares and maps.

Booked! Thanks for the advice. .. much appreciated.

My only thought (not expertise) would be about the South Coast.

You may have very good reason to have Bournmouth and Brighton as separate venues but if you stayed somewhere in between Southampton and Portsmouth (Rookesbury Park CC site at Fareham?) both Bournmouth and Brighton (as well as Southampton, Winchester and Portsmouth) are about a 1 hour drive.

You could also have a day on the Isle of Wight if funds run to cover the ferry crossing with the car (or you could go on the Hovercraft as a treat for the kids and use public transport to get around).

Just a thought.

G.

Thank-you that is an idea that we hadn't considered and we would love to have a day on the Isle of Wight. .. Thank-you much appreciated.

Hi, if you are traveling from Alton towers to cornwall on the Monday (which I think you are) you wont have too much trouble with the traffic either at the m6/5 junction (birmingham) or the m5/4 junction (Bristol) these both get horrendous on Saturdays in school holidays but should be fine in the week, just avoid the normal rush hours.

Have a great time

What an itinery. You will be exhausted at the end! The traffic this side of the pond is heavy and it will take you longer than anticipated.

Give yourselves at leat half a day to walk around Crystal Palace park. The kids will like the prehistoric statues. Also get travel cards for getting around London.

As mentioned above, the sea at Southport is a LONG way out so don't expect to be able just pop there for a paddle.

Roger

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

Hi, if you are traveling from Alton towers to cornwall on the Monday (which I think you are) you wont have too much trouble with the traffic either at the m6/5 junction (birmingham) or the m5/4 junction (Bristol) these both get horrendous on Saturdays in school holidays but should be fine in the week, just avoid the normal rush hours.

Have a great time

Hi, Yes leaving Alton Towers on Monday and its early July so fingers crossed and up early we should avoid any major delays. Thank-you very much appreciated.

What an itinery. You will be exhausted at the end! The traffic this side of the pond is heavy and it will take you longer than anticipated.

Give yourselves at leat half a day to walk around Crystal Palace park. The kids will like the prehistoric statues. Also get travel cards for getting around London.

As mentioned above, the sea at Southport is a LONG way out so don't expect to be able just pop there for a paddle.

Roger

Hi Exhausted I know I feel tired just reading it now . ... nothing like trying to pack it all in. .. but that said we will take our time and enjoy! Thank-you for your advice its very much appreciated.

Wow, sounds like a great adventure . .. I'm sure you and the kids will love it.

Go for it and enjoy.

I'm taking the easy option this June and am getting the Belfast - Stranraer Ferry then it's about a 210 mile drive to Northumberland where we're spending 2 1/2 weeks. Just me and the Mrs and our 3 dogs so plenty of walking to be done.

Enjoy!

2005 Kia Sorento XT Auto

2005 Elddis Crusader Typhoon

I would definitely recommend Bashley Park (Hoburne Leisure) at New Milton as has already been said in an earlier post. It is approx 10 miles or more from Bournemouth . It is great for kids who will want to go back every year (you won't lol!) but you will give them a great holiday. We took our son there every year when he was a child (he is now 30) and they were the best holidays imaginable for him. He visited us recently when we returned to Bashley after many years absence and he was very nostalgic.

Re Crystal Palace site, travel to the city is by bus. Been there several times and never found anything other than a bus station within 10 mins. walk from the site. The bus takes you into central London or you could switch to the tube at Brixton (but why bother?).

As has been said at Southport the tide goes out an awful long way. It is a quiet genteel place. A walk along Lord St. is just the thing for adults but the kids may get bored, they could always go on the pier as a reward afterwards. It could be a quiet end for a hectic holiday. However if you are not totally knackered after your very active holiday you could have a drive into the Lake District where I live and visit Lakeside and Haverthwaite Steam Railway or go even further into the unknown and go for a ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.

Best wishes

anglebox

Lexus IS 220D SE towing Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 7

I would definitely recommend Bashley Park (Hoburne Leisure) at New Milton as has already been said in an earlier post. It is approx 10 miles or more from Bournemouth . It is great for kids who will want to go back every year (you won't lol!) but you will give them a great holiday. We took our son there every year when he was a child (he is now 30) and they were the best holidays imaginable for him. He visited us recently when we returned to Bashley after many years absence and he was very nostalgic.

Re Crystal Palace site, travel to the city is by bus. Been there several times and never found anything other than a bus station within 10 mins. walk from the site. The bus takes you into central London or you could switch to the tube at Brixton (but why bother?).

As has been said at Southport the tide goes out an awful long way. It is a quiet genteel place. A walk along Lord St. is just the thing for adults but the kids may get bored, they could always go on the pier as a reward afterwards. It could be a quiet end for a hectic holiday. However if you are not totally knackered after your very active holiday you could have a drive into the Lake District where I live and visit Lakeside and Haverthwaite Steam Railway or go even further into the unknown and go for a ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.

Best wishes

anglebox

Sounds absolutely fantastic thank-you very much. ..

Wow, sounds like a great adventure . .. I'm sure you and the kids will love it.

Go for it and enjoy.

I'm taking the easy option this June and am getting the Belfast - Stranraer Ferry then it's about a 210 mile drive to Northumberland where we're spending 2 1/2 weeks. Just me and the Mrs and our 3 dogs so plenty of walking to be done.

Enjoy!

Hi. .. Maybe next year we will take the easy option too, might still be recovering from this one. Wouldn't it be great to travel Belfast - Liverpool but the prices are just crazy, we were quoted £600. 00 for return crossing ! ! ! Enjoy Northumberland fingers crossed for some sunshine.

Hi Cheers!

Where've you booked for Alton Towers as the kids want to go there early July?

Thanks Huw

What a great holiday to look forward to. NB. Please dont underestimate the time it will take you to get across from Cairnryan to civilisation. That's a bad road and needs treated with caution.

Thats a 3 hour drive solo to Gretna. I hate it.

Regards
Ian

Crystal Palace site, travel to the city is by bus. Been there several times and never found anything other than a bus station within 10 mins. walk from the site. The bus takes you into central London

Although the kids will like the bus, it takes a long time. It would be quicker to take a bus (I think there are two) or walk (all downhill) to Sydenham station (about a mile) and then go in by train.

Roger

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

Hi Cheers!

Where've you booked for Alton Towers as the kids want to go there early July?

Thanks Huw

Hi. .. Huw We have booked the Star Caravan Park apparently right beside the Alton Towers Park. ... Hope you enjoy, plently of rides for the adults too! !