Weight Of 7 Kg Butane Gas Cyclinder

WispMan

It is supposed to be 8Kg empty + 7Kg gas = 15Kg full.

Use my scales on an empty one at a camping centre and it weighs 8Kg.

Our caravan one is Calor and is 9 months old but I can still just about hear the liquid gas sloshing around so I wonder how full it is - to be ready for Easter.

Use same scales and get a reading of 18Kg !! I estimate it should be around 10-20% full but why 18Kg instead of around 10kG??

Do some Calor bottles weigh lots more than others?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Around the neck of the bottle should be a aluminium disc, this should have the cylinder weight stamped on it.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

It is marked 7Kg but maybe it is a 15Kg one - that would explain it. Just checked with CC book and a 15Kg is 30. 7Kg full in which case I have 18-15. 7 = 2. 3Kg of gas left.

Thanks

Graham

It is supposed to be 8Kg empty + 7Kg gas = 15Kg full.

Use my scales on an empty one at a camping centre and it weighs 8Kg.

Our caravan one is Calor and is 9 months old but I can still just about hear the liquid gas sloshing around so I wonder how full it is - to be ready for Easter.

Use same scales and get a reading of 18Kg !! I estimate it should be around 10-20% full but why 18Kg instead of around 10kG??

Do some Calor bottles weigh lots more than others?

Are you reading pounds instead of kilogrammes? 8kg = 17. 6 lbs ;)

Are you reading pounds instead of kilogrammes? 8kg = 17. 6 lbs ;)

Or are you reading the weight marked on the bottle rather than the aluminium collar around the neck, as suggested by Klyne?

Mike

I am reading only in kgs. I feel fairly sure that the bottle is marked on the body 7Kgs but it's in storage 20 miles away so I do suspect I've bought a 15Kg bottle though I know I paid for a 7Kg bottle - I think the young lad serving opened up the cage and gave me the bigger bottle. Lucky me I suppose!

Graham

I have taken this from the Calor Website why the tare weight is still given in pounds I don't know and some of the older bottles still have the tare stamped on the shroud that surrounds the valve

"Calor’s 5kg and 13kg Patio Gas cylinders, are fitted with Calor's new Gas Trac - an indicator which tells you when you are running low on gas. For all other cylinders, the empty tare weight can be found on a metal disc on the shroud, this gives the weight of the cylinder in pounds and ounces. To convert this to kilograms multiply this number by 0. 453592. Once you have the empty weight of the cylinder you can put it on some scales, then you will have the total weight, so you can now take the empty cylinder weight off the total, this will give you how much gas you have left in the cylinder."

That explains the metal disc! I looked for a number approx for Kg - but for Calor to be working in lbs and ozs today is very odd. ...........(must remember 16 ozs = 1 lb)..........

Thank you Fred.

Edited by WispMan

Graham