Reversing Caravan

Guest hellboy

Guest hellboy

just been away when we got to the site i had to reverse my caravan on a incline to pitch it but when i started to reverse the car couldent cope with it it was as tho i was pushing a dead elephant and my clutch started to stink to high heaven what could have been the problem the caravan is a compass corona 505 2007

Edited by hellboy

just been away when we got to the site i had to reverse my caravan on a incline to pitch it but when i started to reverse the car couldent cope with it it was as tho i was pushing a dead elephant and my clutch started to stink to high heaven what could have been the problem the caravan is a compass corona 505 2007

Hi

Poss the brakes want adjusting, or there is a problem with the auto-reverse system

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

I have exactly the same problem with my 2006 Nissan X-Trail and my 2 year old caravan has had the brakes supposedly adjusted by the manufacturer and 2 separate main dealers.

Reading threads from knowledgeable people on here seem to suggest, assuming the brakes are adjusted correctly, that you need an automatic gearbox or low ratio gears.

I have reversed my 1,550 kg van with a friends Freelander 2 automatic with no problems at all.

Bill

Check the auto reverse this way. Reverse the outfit to the point where you are having difficulty. Apply car handbrake and go the the caravan handbrake. If it operates without effort and with excess travel the auto reverse has engaged. If it is normal, requiring effort to operate, the auto reverse has not engaged.

Guest hellboy
As Radiotwo says - it could also be the car, some are poor at reversing caravans - what towcar is it?

ive a passat 1. 9tdi 140 bhp estate 56 reg

Most likely the auto reverse is playing up. first port of call is to get the caravan breaks checked out.

I have a skoda, which is a re-badged passat. The clutch has always been prone to burning when reversing the caravan but i never had any problems when reversing on the flat only on an incline. The incline was not steep but i needed to slip the clutch as the ground was stones. Only slipped it for about 10-15 seconds and it took a week to get rid of the smell.

If you feel there is too much resistance when reversing then it is probably the caravan. . If not then it is a smelly clutch.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

ive a passat 1. 9tdi 140 bhp estate 56 reg

Are we talking about a dual mass flywheel clutch here?

If so, its a common problem problem especially with Mondeos, they heat up and *lock*.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I have exactly the same problem with my 2006 Nissan X-Trail and my 2 year old caravan has had the brakes supposedly adjusted by the manufacturer and 2 separate main dealers.

Reading threads from knowledgeable people on here seem to suggest, assuming the brakes are adjusted correctly, that you need an automatic gearbox or low ratio gears.

I have reversed my 1,550 kg van with a friends Freelander 2 automatic with no problems at all.

Bill

X-Trails are synonymous with poor reversing ability.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I have a Audi A3, so essentially the same driveline. I find that is nearly always possible to reverse where I need to without using the throttle. Too many revs will give the clutch too much to do. Since the eco-warriors managed to get rid of Asbestos based friction materials, both brakes and clutches are not the same. I accept that on soft ground throttle is required. After several similar experiences to yours however, I have invested in a mover. Probably cheaper than a clutch. ....