Battery Charger

andyg

Hello all.

Took delivery of a 2009 Swift Charisma based dealer edition, its now 8 days old.

Not even been on holiday yet and already the problems begin, the door locks itself without the need for a key when you push it closed, i know they claim new " high security door locks " but that could get very embarassing.

The battery charger has stopped working no output either to charge the battery or power the 12v electrics, actually rather than charging, it flattened my battery also bought new with the van.

Anyone else had problems with the battery chargers fitted currently, brand name Nordelecttronica.

Where do they get this stuff and what was wrong with the reliable Zig units or CEC Plug In Systems fitted previously, my previous 2005 Swift van had an aerial from some strange company I cant recall but it was rubbish, I see they have gone back to status aerials, surely this should tell them something.

Please Swift stop buying stuff from the Lim Tin Fin Bin company of Hong Kong, the vans are great but you need more engineering people and less accountants who do the penny pinching.

Andy G

2008 Audi A6 Avant TDI Multitronic - 2009 Coastline 530 SE

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the Info, Roger.

Really should be a recall if its a known issue, quality assurance and traceability means they must know which vans have been fitted with the faulty batch.

Spoke to dealer he is sorting and very helpful they were, Nord whatever it was are coming to me to fit new one, but I cannot help thinking it shouldnt come to this, the caravan industry really should improve the build quality and the inspections before delivery.

A car is much smaller to work with far more complicated and has all those moving oily bits under the bonnet, and yet the build quality is light years ahead, in terms of fit and finish and parts reliability, and dont even get me started on the stuff about where you bought the thing from and who services and does warranty work, its not like I want a free service I was going to pay you for it.

Could you imagine me going to Audi dealer in Oxford only to be told sorry mate we didnt sell it to you, go back to the supplying dealer. It just doesnt happen. Off the soap box now.

All of that being said I dont want to appear ungrateful for the first class service Iam getting for it to be fixed.

Note to Swift - ( Shouldnt need mending yet though )

Andy G

Thanks for the Info, Roger.

Really should be a recall if its a known issue, quality assurance and traceability means they must know which vans have been fitted with the faulty batch.

Spoke to dealer he is sorting and very helpful they were, Nord whatever it was are coming to me to fit new one, but I cannot help thinking it shouldnt come to this, the caravan industry really should improve the build quality and the inspections before delivery.

A car is much smaller to work with far more complicated and has all those moving oily bits under the bonnet, and yet the build quality is light years ahead, in terms of fit and finish and parts reliability, and dont even get me started on the stuff about where you bought the thing from and who services and does warranty work, its not like I want a free service I was going to pay you for it.

Could you imagine me going to Audi dealer in Oxford only to be told sorry mate we didnt sell it to you, go back to the supplying dealer. It just doesnt happen. Off the soap box now.

All of that being said I dont want to appear ungrateful for the first class service Iam getting for it to be fixed.

Note to Swift - ( Shouldnt need mending yet though )

Andy G

Andy G,

I am sorry to hear about your charger failure. Our supplier of chargers is a well known well respected supplier of hardware in europe. Unfortunately there supplier has let them down with faulty sub components which has caused a number of chargers in the field to fail. This fault was not apparent on the routine tests done at the factory or at the dealerships. We were not aware our suppliers/supplier had made a change - this was un-authorised. The issue only came to light on products that had been supplied out which is disappointing. All new products at the factory are correct.

The supplier has engineers out replacing all chargers that have failed. Whilst I appreciate this is clearly extremely annoying to our customers if the charger fails we are trying and replace units as quickly as possible and apologise for the inconvienience this causes,

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

So no recall?

RogerL

We are changing all faulty chargers.

Andy

RogerL

We are changing all faulty chargers.

Andy

But only after the customer detects the problem, usually when out on site.

A recall is intended to check, and rectify if necessary, defective equipment in advance of it's likely failure.

But only after the customer detects the problem, usually when out on site.

A recall is intended to check, and rectify if necessary, defective equipment in advance of it's likely failure.

Roger

Unfortunately its not that simple. As I said our supplier was supplied faulty components unknown to him, he then used these faulty components along with good components, the complete chargers were then shipped to the UK to their distribution warehouse before being picked and shipped to the customer,

Andy

Is there any reason why dealers can't test the battery chargers when they carry out the pdi?

The way things stand it looks as though caravan buyers are carrying out the pdi after they have collected their new caravan. :angry:

Abbey Cardinal Vogue 620

Mitsubishi 2. 8 Fieldmaster LWB Pajero

As a most satisfied Swift customer I am surprised at the recall policy

It sounds like the Nissan school of thought

You go into the dealer and say is there any problem with the X Trail and they say

"I recall that there is an ECU probem etc" but they don't bother to let you know

It smacks with Nissan of if we can get away with it we will :angry:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Parksy,

Our dealers have been asked to check their stock and we have checked all our stock but unfortunately we cant be sure when they fail, this process did identify some faulty units.

John,

If that was the case I would not be here explaining the situation on an open forum,

Andy

Perhaps it's time for the caravan industry to introduce component traceability - or at least assembly tracing - most of the appliances and components used in caravans have serial numbers - when a faulty appliance/assembly becomes known then the item can be easily inspected at a dealers and rectified/replaced where necessary.

I'm often accused of wrongly applying motor industry quality standards to caravans - why? We pay motor industry prices for our caravans and more, why shouldn't we get the same standards.

I'm not suggesting that the caravan industry adopts the same standards as the aircraft or pharmaceutical industries, we couldn't afford the bill, but standards need to change for the better - customers are seeing every other product in their lives get better, so why not caravans.

John & Andy at Swift

I thank you for the concern and accept that a 3rd or 4th party created the problem, you mentioned customer annoyance, annoyed is a strong word frustrated would be better, and without doubt the warranty repair response is exceptional, they are coming to my home to fix it doesnt get any better than that, and after all this is my second new Swift in a row, so you must be doing something right.

My problem occured within a week of delivery that should of been found with vigilant testing.

Anyway the main point still stands a warranty is like insurance, its there but you should never have to use it, a warranty isnt there to fund customer testing repairs.

I could easily of been on holiday on site this coming bank holiday weekend had i not gone in the van and tried to switch the light on to get something, all paid for and booked, driven there only to discover a flat battery no means of charging it, I would of had to of packed back up and gone home, how do you explan to a 6 year old the technical reasons for failure and that now her holiday is over, after only just getting there, awning up and everything.

Also because it flattened rather than charged my battery, I now have a battery that i bought new with the van that has been fully discharged beyond all recommendations and as such could easily be damaged internally impairing its ability to accept a full charge, who is going to replace that ? ? ?

I have an Audi A6 the wife has a Volkswagen Touran, 1 year and 18 months old respectively, guess how many warranty claims - Yep absolutely none.

Still like the caravan though, not totally switched off.

Andy G

Also because it flattened rather than charged my battery, I now have a battery that i bought new with the van that has been fully discharged beyond all recommendations and as such could easily be damaged internally impairing its ability to accept a full charge, who is going to replace that ? ? ?

I can confirm that the known issue with the battery charger failing would not draw extra current out of the van battery.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

Is there any way that we can check our charges -- by serial numbers etc -- to just have an indication of if they have the faulty component that Andy says was put in UN authorised by Swift quality control. .

They [someone ] must know the batch or group that had the differing components in -- and it wouldn't take long to check against a number list. .

I do not want MY caravan to fail whilst on holiday in France for 5 weeks with no chance of getting to a dealer -- I would prefer to be pro-active - and check NOW.

Been there -and got the T shirt -- once before with a faulty charger -- which resulted in hot acid being sprayed over the sidewalls of the van - and a new side being required for the van -- just because of a faulty charger. .

I hope that this wont happen again -- or my faith in Swift will be dented. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I can confirm that the known issue with the battery charger failing would not draw extra current out of the van battery.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

Quite possibly - but taking a leisure battery, indeed any lead acid battery, down to very low "depth of discharge" simply because it's being used but not recharged when expected can, and will, shorten the service life of the battery and owners are right to look for a gesture of compensation.

Quite possibly - but taking a leisure battery, indeed any lead acid battery, down to very low "depth of discharge" simply because it's being used but not recharged when expected can, and will, shorten the service life of the battery and owners are right to look for a gesture of compensation.

RogerL

The caravan is 8 days old. I would expect the battery to last a lot longer then that on minimal load, such as in storage. There is also an indicator on the Control Panel of vans fitted with our system to indicate that the charger is functioning. This is detailed in the handbook.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

Is there any way that we can check our charges -- by serial numbers etc -- to just have an indication of if they have the faulty component that Andy says was put in UN authorised by Swift quality control. .

They [someone ] must know the batch or group that had the differing components in -- and it wouldn't take long to check against a number list. .

I do not want MY caravan to fail whilst on holiday in France for 5 weeks with no chance of getting to a dealer -- I would prefer to be pro-active - and check NOW.

Been there -and got the T shirt -- once before with a faulty charger -- which resulted in hot acid being sprayed over the sidewalls of the van - and a new side being required for the van -- just because of a faulty charger. .

I hope that this wont happen again -- or my faith in Swift will be dented.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

This is understandable, and I believe Swift have circulated a list out to dealers with the affected Vans serial numbers on for the dealers to check.

You will normally get a few hours out of the charger before failure, if you have used your Van extensively failure probably won't occur under these circumstances.

On a side note, this kind of failure results in no voltage output, where I would assume your previous failure was a result of Over voltage or maybe even incorrect stage dropping.

If you want to check your unit PM me with the unit details (Part Number, Serial Number) and I will check this out for you.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

I believe Swift have circulated a list out to dealers with the affected Vans serial numbers on for the dealers to check.

If you want to check your unit PM me with the unit details (Part Number, Serial Number) and I will check this out for you.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

So Nord know the serial number of the chargers affected AND Swift know the serial numbers of the caravans affected.

Is leaving it in the hands of dealers the best way forward?

So Nord know the serial number of the chargers affected AND Swift know the serial numbers of the caravans affected.

Is leaving it in the hands of dealers the best way forward?

Nord knows the likely numbers and type of charger. When/If Maurice PM's I will advise him of further diagnostics dependent on his charger type.

Dealers (Or appointed Technicians) have to change these units for the Warranty to stand, which I'm sure Swift will agree with.

Any information about the processes and method can be advised directly if a customer gets in touch.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

ChrisNord

I accept that technically you would not expect this fault to discharge my battery, however that is what actually happened in real life, I charged it fully after getting home re-installed it, and yes there is a panel detailed in the handbook, how do you think i knew the battery voltage that indicated the discharged state.

Not only is the caravan 8 days old the battery was also new.

But Chris, just so Iam clear there is a known fault with the charger that is coonnected to my brand new battery, but the faulty charger could not have damaged my battery even though we know that is the faulty item. I think thats what you are saying.

Andy G

But Chris, just so Iam clear there is a known fault with the charger that is connected to my brand new battery, but the faulty charger could not have damaged my battery even though we know that is the faulty item. I think that's what you are saying.

Andy G

Hi AndyG,

That is correct, the failure is down to a component that fails to off, not a spike or damaging failure. It would not affect the battery.

To confirm, the fuse board isolates all 12v into the van when the Control Panel is off. The only load is to fridge and fridge electronics.

Due to the battery discharging over a period of 8 days, and the fact you charged the battery from new before fitting, I can only conclude some other load is on in a van, as the battery charger draws no load under these circumstance.

Regards

Chris @ Nord

Hi

I took delivery of a Swift Coastline 540 ( a dealer specific model I think?) in July 2008. It was used extensively throughout the summer without problem. Last week it was brought out of winter storage. After towing to this years seasonal pitch and connecting power the battery charger failed after an hour or so. The dealer could not have been more helpful and a new consumer unit was fitted within a few days. My only remaining concern is that I was told 1. the units are being taken from new caravans due to lack of stock. 2. They can't promise the replacement unit won't have the same problem.

By the way, we love the 540!

ChrisNord

Ok Iam not sure how long it took to discharge it took me 8 days to find it, it could of took anywhere between immediately after re-installing and the 8 days later.

Iam not going to fall out over it, largely because it is your people who are coming to the caravan to fix it, rather than making me take it to you, and for that you should be and I do commend you.

I can confirm that nothing was left switched on however, and that due to the item being faulty an element of doubt does surely exist, if it doesnt behave how it should in one area ie charge my battery, nobody can say for sure it cannot behave how it shouldnt in other areas.

For everybody else the repair element is first class I must admit, and perhaps how a company responds when a problem exists is a true test, I take back any unkind remarks I may of made previously, born out of frustration.

With regard to my battery Chris and I will have to agree to disagree, I think an element of doiubt exists, Chris believes discharge from problem not possible.

Chris thanks for the fix though.

Andy G