Awning Puller Througher!

redestate

Hi Folks,

I have been busy getting my little Wisp ready for my Scottish sojourn. Serviced, new tyres. new battery, etc etc.

Being a single caravanner now, I thought I would obtain the piece of equipment in the topic title. I hoped it might make my life a bit easier!

Have ordered lots of bits online, including this. To quote the supplier 'some awnings already have an eyelet for this' Wouldn't you just know it- mine hasn't! It came complete with a plastic ring with a sort of flange, I am supposed to stitch this to the awning! I just can't do it.

Having tried to sort everything online, I have now got to cart myself off to an accessory shop and buy eyelets and punch set. I had been trying to avoid this for two reasons- 1) because being on Exmoor, the distance and 2) I know I shall be tempted by all the goodies on display!

I could put yet another order online, but I really want to get this done and ticked off my 'to do' list.

Everytime I think I am all sorted for this trip, something else crops up. I am beginning to think I am getting too old for all the palaver!

Have any of you good folk used one of these, and if so, what do you think of it? If anyone says they are rubbish, I shall scream!! :D

Linda

Edited by redestate

Hi, I've never used one, for that matter never seen one :unsure:, I have to say, if an awning is not equipped to accommodate one of these "pullers", I would be very dubious about putting an eyelet into the material as this could lead to a tear occurring :o . When we pull our awning through, (granted a large one) I always make sure that I have plenty of material in hand to pull with, also my OH feeds it through from the other end.

This is only my opinion, someone else may be along with a different view. Cheers Mike R

Hi, I've never used one, for that matter never seen one :unsure:, I have to say, if an awning is not equipped to accommodate one of these "pullers", I would be very dubious about putting an eyelet into the material as this could lead to a tear occurring :o . When we pull our awning through, (granted a large one) I always make sure that I have plenty of material in hand to pull with, also my OH feeds it through from the other end.

This is only my opinion, someone else may be along with a different view. Cheers Mike R

Thank you for your input Mike. I do have that concern too, and I was also worried about creating a spot for a potential leak.

I agree the ideal is for one to feed it into the channel, and the other to pull. Problem is, there is only me! I am hopeful that with the rail in good condition and well siliconed, that pulling will be minimal and it will slide easily into place!

Linda

I am sure if you are on your own there will be lot of cavanners will be willing to help you.

Could be, but as I am using mainly CL's there might not be many people around. I like to be able to do things myself - bit of an independant so and so! :D

Linda

Thank you for your input Mike. I do have that concern too, and I was also worried about creating a spot for a potential leak.

I agree the ideal is for one to feed it into the channel, and the other to pull. Problem is, there is only me! I am hopeful that with the rail in good condition and well siliconed, that pulling will be minimal and it will slide easily into place!

Linda

There is a device (whose name escapes me - help) that clips onto any fabric and, the harder you pull, the harder it grips.

Someone come up with the name!

This could be the answer to your dilemma.

Mike

Could be, but as I am using mainly CL's there might not be many people around. I like to be able to do things myself - bit of an independant so and so! :D

Linda

I see your point, sorry I can't help because I have never seen one of those awning puller.

Hi redestate

Perhaps I can help a little. I have put my awnings up alone for many years ( well I would have been better off alone)

One person cannot feed in the awning and pull at the same time. What I did was this.

1 Lubricate the awning rail

2 Feed in the awning as far as pos.

3 Hook a rubber bungey into the lead edge of the awning now in the rail (I had a eyelet that was located nicely you could use a gripper called a klingon)

4 hook on a second bungey, then a third and so on until you can reach an anchor point . ie a grab handle at the opposite end to the awning.

5 tension the elastic walk slowly"drink in hand" to the awning and feed it through until the elastic tension is released.

6 remove one bungey and re-tension. repeat process as necessary.

IT WORKS- I KNOW-I`VE DONE IT MANY TIMES your neighbours will be amazed.

Hi redestate

Perhaps I can help a little. I have put my awnings up alone for many years ( well I would have been better off alone)

One person cannot feed in the awning and pull at the same time. What I did was this.

3 Hook a rubber bungey into the lead edge of the awning now in the rail (I had a eyelet that was located nicely you could use a gripper called a klingon)

4 hook on a second bungey, then a third and so on until you can reach an anchor point . ie a grab handle at the opposite end to the awning.

5 tension the elastic walk slowly"drink in hand" to the awning and feed it through until the elastic tension is released.

Thanks, that sounds brilliant!

I have to use the awning- small caravan- three dogs!! :P

Hi redestate

What a Brilliant Idea I will have to try that thanks

I have to use the awning- small caravan- three dogs!! :P

Fair enough you need it with 3 dogs!! ;)

Neil. .

Ford Mondeo Titanium x Auto Estate / Bailey Pagent burgundy series 7

I tried google for klingons (grippers) and all I can get up is Star-Trek stuff!!

Any ideas as to where they are obtainable please?

Linda

Hi redestate

Have to say this is probably the most important part, check your awning rail is clean and lubricate it with silicone spray (found in Halfords or any motor factors) and you will be amazed how much easier it makes the job.

Edited by paulus

Have Bailey - Will Travel

"I tried google for klingons (grippers) and all I can get up is Star-Trek stuff!!"

I have a set of the 4 green clips that I think I got from Towsure. They are at the van so I cannot find out what they are called.

I see Bolon do what appears to be a similar device

http://www. riverswayleisure. co. uk/acatalog/169966. html

Good luck

Ian

http://www. holdon. info/general. htm

These are the items I referred to - mine are a green plastic, slight design difference but the same make - described as a 'wedge lock' Instant clip-on eyelet system. Used in camping, marine & horticulture applications.

I have seen them in several caravan accessory depts. and are also available from

http://www. waudbys. co. uk/products/details/17652. html

Ian

Edited by Newby

Gripper device can be obtained from

http://www. waudbys. co. uk/products/details/17652. html

Regards

Ian

Thanks very much Ian. that looks exactly what I need. Have ordered them!

Well, with those and all the other advice I have been given, I feel a lot happier!

What a great bunch of helpful guys! I love this forum!

Best wishes

Linda

I never use WD 40 or anything like that to lubricate the rail as it can make a mess, I simply rub a candle along the guide rope of the awning before feeding it into the rail. Works very well, leaves no marks and only needs doing occasionally.

Jeff

Fair enough you need it with 3 dogs!! ;)

Hi Redestate

The grippers are called clingons. try www. clingon. co. uk

I bought 40 units you would be amazed at there uses, from awning pulling to securing the fitted sheet over the memory foam topper. my lady can`t abide untidy anything!

happy vanning

Hi Redestate

I bought 40 units you would be amazed at there uses, from awning pulling to securing the fitted sheet over the memory foam topper. my lady can`t abide untidy anything!

happy vanning

I never even knew such things existed! Brilliant idea. B)

L200 Dual Cab Auto + 2010 Lunar Clubman SE (September 2009)

Hi Redestate

happy vanning

Thank you so much, for taking the trouble to come back on with this info, much appreciated. I have ordered some from Waudbys, they look as though they all work on the same principle. They really are a useful item, I certainly didn't know there was such a thing! I shall probably order some of this make as well, I can think of a lot of uses for them!

At least now I won't be making a hole in my awning. I wish clingons had been around when my children were young- would have been a great improvement, on play tents held together with clothes pegs!!

Linda

As you have all been so helpful, I thought you might like an update!

I ordered the eyelet clips from Waudby's and they arrived this morning, Holdons, a bit small for what I needed, however managed to get one fixed on (with a bit of help from a hammer!). I decided to have a dry run in the garden, so I brushed and well siliconed the rail, made sure no bits were pinched in etc. Armed myself with bungies and commenced battle.

I did try using my puller througher thingy, before I put the bungies on, well, off flew the Holdon! Bashed it back on and started again, this time I put the first bungee in the Holdon as soon as I could.

IT WORKS! I found a bit more push than pull did the trick- few tricky spots- my van may be small, but it has 5 angles to get round the rail. So, the puller thingy was a bad buy, now consigned to back of the garage!

My son came with me to help me set up last time out, so at the moment my awning roof is staying in the rail until he gets home, so he can see the proof of my effort!!

I think for the eyelet, if anyone else is thinking of using them, I would say go for the Clingon ones, as they look a bit bigger and stronger.

The bungee idea is brilliant Dave! To those of you who have OH's do hang onto them, the bungees are notquite as good!!!

Linda