Charging Batteries

kenkroy

Can you charge a leisure battery with a normal car charger ?

My battery always runs down over winter and I need to charge the battery so I can bring the van home and park it with the mover.

As its a twin axle its very embarrassing if I get it stuck accross the road when the battery runs out so I would like to take the battery off and charge it before hand . Any Ideas/

ken

Yes but . .... a normal car charger mustn't be left on any longer than necessary, otherwise the battery will gas excessively and lose fluid - calculate the number of hours as battery capacity in Ah multiplied by 80%, then divided by charger rate in A but less if it's not fully discharged.

If you have one of the modern "smart" car chargers, they can be left on indefinitely as they reduce down to a maintenance level once the battery is fully charged.

Example smart chargers are Aldi/Lidl special offers at £13 (good value) or CTEK XS3600 at£50 (good quality).

• 1 month later...

Yes you can. I bought the charger from halfords and it does cars and caravans. It has all the symbols on the front. It is excellent and very easy to understand. It is easy to carry and clip on. You have a button for cell and sealed cell and also a reverse polarity check.

I thoroughly recommend it. I did not see any battery chargers at Aldi or lidl.

Not sure what you mean can you charge a caravan. I presume you mean the caravan battery when not hooked up? The caravan is operated by the battery solely in parts when it's not hooked up.

Bobby

Edited by Bobinet

Not sure what you mean can you charge a caravan. .

Bobby

It was a facetious remark. You meant Halfords are doing a charger suitable for caravan batteries.

Edited by beejay

Yes but . .... a normal car charger mustn't be left on any longer than necessary, otherwise the battery will gas excessively and lose fluid - calculate the number of hours as battery capacity in Ah multiplied by 80%, then divided by charger rate in A but less if it's not fully discharged.

If you have one of the modern "smart" car chargers, they can be left on indefinitely as they reduce down to a maintenance level once the battery is fully charged.

Example smart chargers are Aldi/Lidl special offers at £13 (good value) or CTEK XS3600 at£50 (good quality).

I can recommend the Ctek XS3600, I use one on the car battery and the caravan leisure battery when in storage, in some circumstances it can even bring

a leisure battery "back to life"

hi there i have just bought my first caravan . .a second hand swift challenger but the charger unit is knackered and also has a normal 12v volt car battery instead of leisure battery . .my question is can i replace the charger unit with a 8amp car battery charger and leave on constantly when caravan in use