Cc Troutbeck Head

Has anyone been to the above and any reviewes please

What is the best route from Wigan ;)

Jaguar XF 3. 0 D tugging an Swift Challenger Sport 584

We went a good few years ago, it is pleasant and very quiet, lots of easy walks in the area but a long way from any of the lakeland towns. Best way from Wigan is up the M6 to penrith across the A66 to Cockermouth and then down the A5086 to the site.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Hi

M6 north then A66 EAST site on right down a B road. Excellent site with all amenities you would expect from a CC site. Not many walks from the site itself but a short drive can get you down to Ulswater and all of its delights. Nearest town with a supermarket is Penrith about ten miles away. My wife and I like the site the only drawback for us you have to use the car.

Sandy

I must have been well gone last night when I replied, For some reason I misinterpeted the site name to be the CC site at Ennerdale Bridge. My apologies.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

We went to Troutbeck Head last weekend - apart from the fact that it was so cold that our water and gas froze as well as the standpipes!! - it was great. Lovely site with good size pitches. We were Beckside and had fabulous views of a snow topped Blencathra. The toilet blocks were spotlessly clean and there's underfloor heating - lovely on a cold morning. The reception / shop sells milk etc. The only downside was the next door activity centre - quad bikes and some clay pigeon shoooting - but the noise wasn't too bad. Yes you need cars to go anywhere but there's the whole of the Lake District to explore - enjoy!!

Newly retired - more time to potter in the caravan!

BMW 520d tourer and Lunar Clubman SE

This is one of our favourite sites. It is in quiet countryside with sheep in the fields on the approach.

If you have kids there is a small games room with pool table and table-tennis. The pitches are a good size, lots of harstandings and the views of the Lakeland countryside are fantastic. There are 2 good sized shower blocks too.

Not very near any towns, but within a 20 minute drive there is Glenridding and Penrith. Slightly further afield is Keswick. If you fancy a scenic drive over the Kirkstone Pass you can drop down into Bowness, Windermere and Ambleside. There is also a pub within a 20 minute walk (can't remember the name but you'll pass it as you turn off the A66).

Access is very easy on the A66 from the M6.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Wirral Tourer' date='Apr 5 2009, 07:52 PM' post='244858'

There is also a pub within a 20 minute walk (can't remember the name but you'll pass it as you turn off the A66).

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Do you know if dogs are allowed in the pub?

TIA,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

[quote name='Wirral Tourer' date='Apr 5 2009, 07:52 PM' post='244858'

There is also a pub within a 20 minute walk (can't remember the name but you'll pass it as you turn off the A66).

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Do you know if dogs are allowed in the pub?

TIA,

Ian.

They, must be, I'm sure I was served one for my lunch when we used it! <_<

Can't in honesty recommend it for value lunches, unless I was unlucky.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

They, must be, I'm sure I was served one for my lunch when we used it! <_<

Can't in honesty recommend it for value lunches, unless I was unlucky.

Hi livi,

Liquid lunches only for me :D . Seriously thanks for the information. Did you actually see any dogs in the pub apart from on your plate?

Thanks,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi, The nearest pub is called The Troutbeck Inn and it is on the corner of the A66 and the road you turn down to get the the site. It is a 'A' road. It is approx a mile and quarter from the site but I don't recommend you walk it in the dark.

The is another pub at Mungridale which is excellent value for money and they make all thier own pies which are delicious. The pub is called the Mill at Mungrisdale and is approx 4 miles from the site.

Peter

Hi livi,

Liquid lunches only for me :D . Seriously thanks for the information. Did you actually see any dogs in the pub apart from on your plate?

Thanks,

Ian.

Ian, I honestly can't recall seeing any, but I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway.

I just remember waiting an eternity for a less than average meal which was not well priced.

It wasn't very busy either which perhaps tells a story.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.