Replacing Carpet With Vinyl?

Pancake

Hi

Just wondering how practical it would be to remove the carpet in our Abbey Warwick & replace it with Vinyl/laminate?

We would love to replace our van with a newer model but it isn't an option at the moment, we have tried using mats & those see through carpet runners but with three dogs & trying open doors they became a pain in the backside!

Helen

Hi

Just wondering how practical it would be to remove the carpet in our Abbey Warwick & replace it with Vinyl/laminate?

We would love to replace our van with a newer model but it isn't an option at the moment, we have tried using mats & those see through carpet runners but with three dogs & trying open doors they became a pain in the backside!

Helen

We always remove the carpets in any van we have and wouldnt buy one if we couldnt.

The vinyl (laminate looking) floor is brilliant, easy to sweep and clean, no worries about the dogs getting muddy paws on it and no worries with spillage.

My mate has just ripped hs carpet out and laminate floored his van, brilliant.

Only downsides really is a bit of extra weight and its cold in the winter on ya feet, so buy some snuggly slippers :)

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I would think the use of vinyl or laminate looking vinyl to be a good idea.

Real laminate however would add quite a bit of weight and cutting it to fit must be really fiddly round all those cabinets some of the cuts to get it neat would be a real headache and using scotia moulding to cover the expansion gap would equally be hard with all the different corners and things. I would assume with the wide temprerature variation and moisture a real laminate in a caravan is going to expand and contract a lot? really justifying the expansion gap?

For the past few years, most of the new vans have had a wood effect vinyl covering on the floor, with loose carpets on the top. We don't have any pets, but we use the van throughout the year and if the weather isn't too good, we always lift the centre carpet which is adjacent to the door, and put it under the bed. The rest of the carpets we leave down as we normally put slippers or something siimilar on when inside the van.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

The biggest problem is removing the old carpet - as the caravan furniture is fitted on top of the carpet and so is actually "floating" a mm or two above the caravan floor- it can be cut away but it does leave the furniture with a lack of support - it may only be a mm or two but everything needs to be attached properly.

The biggest problem is removing the old carpet - as the caravan furniture is fitted on top of the carpet and so is actually "floating" a mm or two above the caravan floor- it can be cut away but it does leave the furniture with a lack of support - it may only be a mm or two but everything needs to be attached properly.

I left the carpet under the furniture when I took it up, put the cushion floor down then beading round. I find cushion floor quite warm on my feet and put vet bed down as mats for the dogs. Vet bed is really soft and warm under your feet and very easy to wash and dry. In wet muddy conditions the mud falls through the vet bed to underneat leaving the top still soft and warm. I just lift the vet bed, give it a good shake outside and brush the floor, if necessary a quick wipe and it is clean. Much easier than carpet. :D

I left the carpet under the furniture when I took it up, put the cushion floor down then beading round. I find cushion floor quite warm on my feet and put vet bed down as mats for the dogs. Vet bed is really soft and warm under your feet and very easy to wash and dry. In wet muddy conditions the mud falls through the vet bed to underneat leaving the top still soft and warm. I just lift the vet bed, give it a good shake outside and brush the floor, if necessary a quick wipe and it is clean. Much easier than carpet. :D

Thanks, that's food for thought.

Mattie what is cushion floor?

It is similar to lino but is thicker, more cushioned and warmer on your bare feet and easier to walk on. I love it, I have it on my bedroom floor as well, much easier to keep clean than carpet and the dog hairs don't stick to it. :lol:

I think that is what we have in the kitchen, I know its thick as when I put the kickstep we have in there & stand on it, the lino/vinyl takes a few mins for the ring indent to disapear afterwards!

I'm pretty sure when I was looking at flooring tiles last year for the bathroom I came accross vinyl strips, they were about 6/8" wide & maybe around 12/18" long with the wooden floor look to them, if I can find them again I will probably use those as I can see them being a lot easier to install than wrestling with a large piece in the confines of a caravan :lol: Plus if you cut it wrong you have only lost a tile not a whole piece

Many thanks

Pancake,

in the last two caravans I've owned I have removed the carpet and fitted laminate flooring effect vinyl*. As much as I like carpet, I find the vinyl much more practical in the van, as it copes with spills without any stains to worry about and a quick sweep with a brush cleans it in no time.

As to the actual fitting, it's really not that difficult. In the Elddis I had the carpet could be simply pulled out from under the furniture and fittings. In the Swift I now have I had to remove the carpet with a knife, as it was rivetted to the floor. Once that was done the removed carpet was used as a rough template for the vinyl, which I then cut to fit the floor layout. I applied vinyl flooring contact adhesive from a spray can, laid down the vinyl and then cut away the fiddly bits, using the knife and a scissors.

I took me an afternoon to do this, but then again I'm not much of a grafter. I would suggest that you need plenty of space too, I was lucky enough to do mine at the storage compound.

HTH and good luck.

Neil

*Useless Fact: where I live, some call vinyl flooring "oil cloth". :huh:

PS.

To complete the project, I had an idea to take the removed carpet to a shop to have it edged so that we could have the best of both as it were, but wifey didn't like the original carpet much, anyway. :rolleyes: But the idea was there . . .

Neil

I know someone who has the vinyl strips in her caravan and it looks very impressive.

MPVguy, I didn't take the carpet from under the furniture because it would have left them unseported, I left the carpet there but cut right up to it.

Oilcloth was the first linoleum, similar to oilskins which I may still have some. :lol: If I remember right, vinyl came from the space project along with may other things, they are all very similar.

The thing that has put me off cutting out the old carpet with a craft knife,is the possibility of damageing the top skin of the floor laminate,which is only 3mm thick. The strength of the floor panel is dependant on the integrity of the individual layers. Our van is 7 years old and the carpet is as good as new. We always take shoes off in the awning or on the doormat.

Best,

Frank

Hi

Helen

I think taking the fitted carpets out is going to effect the resale value, unless they are a real mess, in which case it might increase the value. Mind you, having three dogs in a caravan is also likely to effect the value. I only say this because you are thinking of exchanging at some time.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Yes we did think about it but after weighing up the options it came out in the favour of vinyl

Possible reduced resale value

+ Points

Easier to keep clean, we don't have leccy where we store so can't vacuum & dustbusters are a waste of time with dog hair!

Caravan is 13yrs old, so no spring chicken

Carpet is a dirty green colour anyway!

Vinyl is so easy to clean than carpet when bring grass or mud into your motorhome or caravan than having carpet. I would rip the carpet up and remove it with vinyl. ..

If you thinks that bad you should see the other tyres. ..

Wer'e thinking of changing the carpet to vinyl. Personally I can't see as though it would reduce the resale value, as nearly all the new vans we looked in have vinyl on their floors, so maybe it would enhance the sale, only a thought.

Swift Challenger 560 (2007) with Reich Motor Mover & Ford Mondeo 2. 2 Titanium X TDCI (08 ) with Sports pack

A lovely Husband & 3 lively Yorkshire Terriers!!

• 3 years later...

I did ours in the winter.

Vinyl wood pattern at the kitchen end and red carpet at the seating end. Very pleased with it.

Vinyl is in plank sized bits from B & Q. They are quite easy to fit and edged with some sealant like you would around the bath to neaten the edges. Much easier than laying a piece in the tight space.

Carpet was tucked under the seats and the base of the fire but cut around in front of the fridge unit. Seats are not held down with much so easy to just unscrew and lift up an inch and slide the carpet under.

Took best part of a day to do it all. I think vinyl is a bit quicker than carpet but do make sure the floor is flat and you sort out various screws and bolts that are in the floor to fill them to make it flat.

We have just replaced the carpet with thick wood effect vinyl. Hubby unscrewed the seats and cut and pulled the old carpet out from under them

We paid a carpet fitter to cut the vinyl and put it down. Cost, he asked for £20 i gave him £25 (fiiting only) because he made such a good job. It took him under a hour.

The carpet was the bane of my life, it wasnt dirty but was just to hard to care for. Still brushing the floor as much but now it takes less than a minute, rather than down on my knees with a wee brush. No gaps under the seats where the carpet was as hubby just screwed the seats back down.

I would say IMHO go for it, its one of the best things we have done.

Good luck

Edited by donnaflowerbox