Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BlisteringBlue

Mushroom Roof Vent

Recommended Posts

I've an old Ranger and my fixed ventilation mushroom roof vent is hanging on by a lot of tape. It's been like this since we got the caravan and I've not be unduly worried. There is no water getting in and absolutely no damp (service report tells us this.)

 

However while I was washing the roof today I caught it a couple of times with the brush and it's now quite brittle and several chunks fell off so I'm guessing it needs replacing.

 

Do you think this is a job anybody can do or is it best taken to the dealer? I've had a look inside and there are just 3 screws under it and the part is only about 6 quid (example below). I've looked for fitting instructions on t'internet but can't see any.

 

Does it just screw in or does it screw with lashings of sealant too? Or if I'm asking this should I just take it in?

 

Thanks for any help.

post-2709-1238356342_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very east to replace, just undo the 3 screws from inside and push the vent up it will have sealent around it, so just clean around the hole in the roof, put some sealent or mastic and put the new vent in a screw it up, dont over screw it as its very easy to do, mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
very east to replace, just undo the 3 screws from inside and push the vent up it will have sealent around it, so just clean around the hole in the roof, put some sealent or mastic and put the new vent in a screw it up, dont over screw it as its very easy to do, mike

 

Cheers I will order one and have a bash then :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest madrat

As Mike said Its very easy to do. Make sure you use a good sealant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As Mike said Its very easy to do. Make sure you use a good sealant

 

Ordered a vent and some sikaflex 512, hope that will do the job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was an easy job in the end, boy was the old one brittle and it definitely needed replacing. Literally crumbled in my hands as I removed it. Hardest part was removing the old sealant.

 

Mini Heki next then . ...... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...