Royal Windsor 390

outnumbered

HI ALL.

purchased the above last year as a replacement for the suncamp ultima 390. i have secured it to the side of the van with the lock stops. i believe just the bag and awning weigh in the region of 10kg. if this is staying on the caravan whilst in transit to the sites will the awning rail be able top cope with that weight plus whatever drag weight is placed upon it whilst driving. i am aware that i do not have to have it fitted when towing, your thoughts and constructive comments please.

mike

Edited by outnumbered

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

HI ALL.

purchased the above last year as a replacement for the suncamp ultima 390. i have secured it to the side of the van with the lock stops. i believe just the bag and awning weigh in the region of 10kg. if this is staying on the caravan whilst in transit to the sites will the awning rail be able top cope with that weight plus whatever drag weight is placed upon it whilst driving. i am aware that i do not have to have it fitted when towing, your thoughts and constructive comments please.

mike

Hi,

I would have thought 10kg is well within the limits of the awning rail. I think a standard full awing would exert a far greater force. Don’t forget, the 10kg are spread over 3. 9m length.

Lloyd

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

HI ALL.

mike

ive been thinking of replacing our Ultima with the Royal, im for ever repairing stitching on the Ultima. The thought of having the Royal ready to use on the side of the van seems appealing,and the built in storm straps, BUT im reminded of the problems with the Pyramid PDQ

ie, the bag filled with water, it over hung the door both when open and unopened.

Would be keen to read your report if you go ahead and get one.

thanks

nigel

BTW Not sure where you got the weight for yours from but the 290 (smaller) is heavier than 10kg

- 185T Polyester material

- 2500mm water column

- Canvas comes in handy storage bag which stays on vehicle in transit (end stops included) to enable quick erection

- Fibreglass poles

- To fit caravan height (rail height) between 230cm - 250cm

- 2 roll up panels

- 2 side doors with mesh ventilation

- Includes steel support poles and canopy poles

- Available in 3 colours: blue, green, burgundy

- Length: 2. 6m

- width: 2. 4m

- Height: 2. 4m

Weight: 13. 9kg

Edited by nigel129

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Hi,

We have the Riversway version of this. Exactly the same awning, but minus the bag that attaches to the caravan. I would have thought, rolling this up and getting it in the bag would be quite difficult, as the bag is well above your head.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

hi all

thanks for your response, you are correct in the weight where i got ten from i am not sure,as for the complete awning, that travels in the caravan, with this hanging whilst in transit i have a litlle niggle of the weight on the awning rail whilst travelling. as for rolling it up back in the bag its not a problem for two people, you have to use the caravan step for the last bit. last weekend i put the outdoor revolution spacelite awning that i have which is not as heavy as the royal windsor on the van and had no issues with it. as said my concern is that the weight 17kg what strain will that put on the awning rail in transit.

thanks

mike

Edited by outnumbered

volvo xc70 D5 se

HI ALL.

mike

We have the same awning and I have been toying with towing with the bag on but have not tried it yet. I wasn't to sure if it could damage the van if it flaps around and hits the paintwork.

I did leave the van on site with the awning rolled up into the bag until the next weekend and when I opened it it was full of water and the windows went milky with the water (they cleared after a few days though).It does hang down by the door but not too bad

Otherwise it is a very good awning for the money. It gives us loads of space and seems well made! Recommended !

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

ive been thinking of replacing our Ultima with the Royal, im for ever repairing stitching on the Ultima. The thought of having the Royal ready to use on the side of the van seems appealing,and the built in storm straps, BUT im reminded of the problems with the Pyramid PDQ

ie, the bag filled with water, it over hung the door both when open and unopened.

Would be keen to read your report if you go ahead and get one.

thanks

nigel

BTW Not sure where you got the weight for yours from but the 290 (smaller) is heavier than 10kg

- 185T Polyester material

- 2500mm water column

- Canvas comes in handy storage bag which stays on vehicle in transit (end stops included) to enable quick erection

- Fibreglass poles

- To fit caravan height (rail height) between 230cm - 250cm

- 2 roll up panels

- 2 side doors with mesh ventilation

- Includes steel support poles and canopy poles

- Available in 3 colours: blue, green, burgundy

- Length: 2. 6m

- width: 2. 4m

- Height: 2. 4m

Weight: 13. 9kg

hi nigel.

i have the 390 royal and have not used it yet just rolled it out on the drive way, and i am led to believe that there are no issues with the bag leaking like you say with the pdq, i have sealed the bag seams and coated all the bag with fabsil as a precaution, yes the bag when not unfolded does catch the door but when the awning is rolled out there is 3 straps with velcro that u tie the bag up out of the way so it does not catch the door.

mike

Edited by outnumbered

volvo xc70 D5 se

We have the same awning and I have been toying with towing with the bag on but have not tried it yet. I wasn't to sure if it could damage the van if it flaps around and hits the paintwork.

I did leave the van on site with the awning rolled up into the bag until the next weekend and when I opened it it was full of water and the windows went milky with the water (they cleared after a few days though).It does hang down by the door but not too bad

Otherwise it is a very good awning for the money. It gives us loads of space and seems well made! Recommended !

hi

thanks for you comments didnt realise it leaked that much tbh, mines been on the van for 2 weeks now although we havent had much rain i will check it later as said i did seal the seams and put fabsil to seal the bag weather it works or not time will tell.

mike

volvo xc70 D5 se

I had one of these and returned it as the bag hung down over the door and had to be taped out of the way. It's a good awning but the bag isn't worth the bother as far as I was concerned.

Jeff

I had one of these and returned it as the bag hung down over the door and had to be taped out of the way. It's a good awning but the bag isn't worth the bother as far as I was concerned.

Jeff

hi jeff.

i take it that it is safe to travel with the awning on the side and it does not put strain on the awning rail in transit.

mike

volvo xc70 D5 se

well it seems some of my concerns are validated by others, allthough some are going to try some preventative/double indemnity on the water in the bag prob, will watch this thread eagerly before dropping another bo****k on a useless light weight awning (with or without the bag)

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. We are debating whether to swap the full awning we get with our new caravan for this model. Have seen it up in the dealership and like the design and it certainly looks easy to erect and take down again which is key for us. ..

Any further feedback from those who have one? Is it viable to leave it on the awning rail between trips? If not how much extra time is taken to erect on site?

Thanks, Amanda

Hi. We are debating whether to swap the full awning we get with our new caravan for this model. Have seen it up in the dealership and like the design and it certainly looks easy to erect and take down again which is key for us. ..

Any further feedback from those who have one? Is it viable to leave it on the awning rail between trips? If not how much extra time is taken to erect on site?

Thanks, Amanda

We have the above awning and think it great but not having had a full awning I can't compare the two. As far as leaving the bag on the side of the van I wouldn't recommend leaving it on between trips as the bag is as waterproof as it should be and can collect water.

I think it would be fine fitting it the night before and travelling with it on but to be honest you would only save 5 minutes as it's quite light and flexible and easily threads up the awning track and locking it in place with two butterfly bolts.

We use ours even for two night stays and is quick to put up but you still have to peg it down and if its a hardstanding this is where the time is taken

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

We have the above awning and think it great but not having had a full awning I can't compare the two. As far as leaving the bag on the side of the van I wouldn't recommend leaving it on between trips as the bag is as waterproof as it should be and can collect water.

I think it would be fine fitting it the night before and travelling with it on but to be honest you would only save 5 minutes as it's quite light and flexible and easily threads up the awning track and locking it in place with two butterfly bolts.

We use ours even for two night stays and is quick to put up but you still have to peg it down and if its a hardstanding this is where the time is taken

Thanks that really helps. We have upgraded from a trailer tent and a big frame awning is just not what we want due to the hassle and time to put it up never mind take it down and never mind take it down when it's wet! It's good to know the process of feeding it into the awning track is easy enough as I feel more comfortable removing it completely between trips and certainly for travelling. I can live with the pegging it down even if my poor knees complain !!

hi jeff.

i take it that it is safe to travel with the awning on the side and it does not put strain on the awning rail in transit.

mike

Sorry I didn't get back to you (didn't see the reply) I never left it on the awning rail as I found that the door was blocked by the bag so it went back for a refund.

Jeff