12v Tv's

grasmere59

My neighbour asked me to pose the question,he uses his caravan mostly to attend steam rallies during the summer and has no access to EHU's,most LCD tv's i've seen run through a transformer to 12v dc,could he just find a suitable lead and power the tv straight from the 12v socket in the caravan and save a fortune not having to buy a dedicated 12v/240v tv,Asda do a 15" for £90.

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

It's what I have and have no problems. My 15" LCD 12/230V TV came as a bargain from Currys with built in DVD player. I made my own lead up with a plug from Maplin Electronics.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Same here, TV from Curry's 12V lead from my box of bits in the shed. I do always fit one of these

http://www. satcure. com/tech/diode. htm

in to the power lead though for any 12v appliance that can be sensitive.

So what does the diode do then?

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Guest madrat

Prevents a voltage of more than 12. 6 volts passing.

voltage from a freshly charged battery can be higher as it can if you have your charger switched on.

I use one inn the power lead of the TV and Sky box

Prevents a voltage of more than 12. 6 volts passing.

voltage from a freshly charged battery can be higher as it can if you have your charger switched on.

I use one inn the power lead of the TV and Sky box

Who told you that !

and as you would not have the charger on as there is no mains there is no need to ristrict to 12. 6 Volts

A BY255 diode does not prevent voltage of more than 12. 6 Volts, it is a MEDIUM CURRENT PLASTIC RECTIFIER

and it is rated at 3 Amps, so a drawing more than 3 amps will blow it like a fuse

A standard diode will stop voltage one way, but allow the other, but will drop the voltage . 6 volt so if you had

13. 2volts then it would drop it to 12. 6 but if it was more than 13. 2, it would still only drop it . 6volt

Radiotwo

Edited by RADIOTWO

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

http://www. satcure. com/accs/page12. htm#javelin

Its an added safety feature to stop it getting over 12. 6 volts. which is easily done if you forget whilst on site with EHU.

As I said in my other post IT WILL NOT STOP IT GOING OVER 12. 6 VOLTS all it will do is drop . 6 of a volt, but on the

other hand if the battery is at say 11. 8 volts it will drop to 11. 2volts, and the TV might not work, as there is not enough voltage

so the best thing to do is use the 240V to 12Volt adaptor when on a EHU and just use the direct voltage from the battery when

not on a EHU

Radiotwo

As I said in my other post IT WILL NOT STOP IT GOING OVER 12. 6 VOLTS all it will do is drop . 6 of a volt, but on the

other hand if the battery is at say 11. 8 volts it will drop to 11. 2volts, and the TV might not work, as there is not enough voltage

so the best thing to do is use the 240V to 12Volt adaptor when on a EHU and just use the direct voltage from the battery when

not on a EHU

Radiotwo

And here's me starting to think that using a 12v lead would be a good idea to save wires and boxes on the cupboard top :(

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Hi

I have the Pace Javelin and run it and the Avtec 19" TV on 12v all the time without any problems on EHU, Non EHU & Fuel Cell no problems at all.

A 230v supply can and does vary between 210v to 250v and 230v appliances are designed to cater for this and so are 12v appliances (surely).

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

I've read many reports of concerns running 12V appliances when hooked up to the EHU but I have never had any problems myself.

As an electronics engineer, I do agree with RadioTwo though that the diode posted above is pointless, it's a diode and not a voltage regulator. If it had been a Zener Diode rated 12V that might have been better but a voltage regulator is the better way to go if you really want to protect your equipment.

As I said, I don't have any problems with my 15" LCD TV and Pace Javelin satellite box, both have worked fine from 14. 5V to 10V since they both have their own regulator circuitry built in.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Guest madrat

Hmm I might just remove them then.

No hang on I know why I fitted them now. (senior moment)

Its for when we use the geny to top up the battery.

Edited by madrat

Hmm I might just remove them then.

No hang on I know why I fitted them now. (senior moment)

Its for when we use the geny to top up the battery.

Sorry mad

I may be missing the point, but you say they are there for when you are using the

geny to top up the battery ! I assume you mean the 12v output from the geny ?

If so don't use any sensitive equipment at all (even with the diode) as a genny can

go up to 20Volts, so . 6v off 20 is still 19. 4 Volts !!

Radiotwo

Edited by RADIOTWO

I believe the reason you're using the diode is to act as a half-rectifier to help smooth the AC ripple which can occur from cheap generators. Ideally, you would need at least two diodes for a proper half-rectifier but I guess one is better than nothing. ;)

Carry On Camping!

The original link in post no 3 was to the Satcure site regarding the diode. Some of the article is missing as the intended use for the diode was to drop 1 volt in a supply lead to prevent damage to 12 volt equipment.

The original link in post no 3 was to the Satcure site regarding the diode. Some of the article is missing as the intended use for the diode was to drop 1 volt in a supply lead to prevent damage to 12 volt equipment.

Hi Beejay

But even the info on the link is incorrect, a diode does not drop 1v a diode drops . 6volt

Radiotwo

The original link in post no 3 was to the Satcure site regarding the diode. Some of the article is missing as the intended use for the diode was to drop voltage in a supply lead to prevent damage to Pace 12v Digiboxes

quote from Satcure website

"Pace specify a maximum of 12. 6 volts. If you use a 12v battery the voltage could be higher so you should connect a 1N5408 diode to the + wire."

The original link in post no 3 was to the Satcure site regarding the diode. Some of the article is missing as the intended use for the diode was to drop voltage in a supply lead to prevent damage to Pace 12v Digiboxes

quote from Satcure website

"Pace specify a maximum of 12. 6 volts. If you use a 12v battery the voltage could be higher so you should connect a 1N5408 diode to the + wire."

Reading that statement - that simply takes into account that a fully charged 12v battery on it's own can be 12. 8v - hence the need to drop the voltage - it doesn't take into account any charging voltage which could be higher.