Gas Cylinder Size

Tickle

Hi everyone, a spot of advise would be much appreciated.

The posts I have read on gas cylinders so far on the forum mostly talk about smaller sizes - 6kg etc. My recently-bought 2004 TEC Travel King has raised locations in the locker floor that look like they are meant for 12kg or 15kg bottles. I have one inherited 7kg butane cylinder, that wobbles about a bit on its location, and need another cylinder. Given that I'm booking to go to France for 2 weeks, and so don't want to run out of gas, and weight is not such an issue (I'm struggling to get a decent noseweight), is there any problem with using a larger 12kg or 15kg cylinder?

Thanks,

Dave

What are you using gas for? We only use it for cooking so a 6kg lasts all season. I also carry a second bottle for the BBQ. If you're using it for heating/fridge etc that's a different story.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

Hi Dave - not sure which cylinders you are thinking about but, as I go away for long periods, I take 2 x 10 kilo BP lightweight cyclinders with me. if I have a nose weight problem, carry one of them in the car. no isues.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

We also go away for reasonably long periods, last year 9 weeks in one go, and we only used less than one 6kgs bottle. We always use a hook-up so the gas is only used for cooking.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

In reply to a previous answer, I thought it was not a good idea to carry a spare gas cylinder in your vehicle. I am sure someone more experienced in the joys of caravaning will enlighten us properly.

Hi Screenman - providing the cyclinder is carried standing upright and securely fixed in place, can't see why there should be a problem. Have gone onto ferries, after being checked, without issues - if there was a danger, reckon the would have pointed it out to me.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Hi everyone, a spot of advise would be much appreciated.

The posts I have read on gas cylinders so far on the forum mostly talk about smaller sizes - 6kg etc. My recently-bought 2004 TEC Travel King has raised locations in the locker floor that look like they are meant for 12kg or 15kg bottles. I have one inherited 7kg butane cylinder, that wobbles about a bit on its location, and need another cylinder. Given that I'm booking to go to France for 2 weeks, and so don't want to run out of gas, and weight is not such an issue (I'm struggling to get a decent noseweight), is there any problem with using a larger 12kg or 15kg cylinder?

Thanks,

Dave

Are the brackets plastic quarter rings screwed to the floor? If so, these can be re-fitted to accept whatever bottle you wish to use.

Many thanks for you replies. I'm hoping we will be using the 'van in the cooler months, so we'll need gas for heating as well as the oven and hob. As far as I can make out from the instructions. , the Truma water heater also runs on gas, but I stand to be corrected on that. I plan to be on hook-up in France, so I gues from your comments that size doesn't matter as far as running out is concerned. Which leaves me with the location issue:

Are the brackets plastic quarter rings screwed to the floor? If so, these can be re-fitted to accept whatever bottle you wish to use.

They are raised areas pressed into the aluminium treadplate floor of the locker. It's not insurmountable problem, but I think I'll buy a big bottle anyway - less chance of running out in an inconvenient spot.

Dave

Many thanks for you replies. I'm hoping we will be using the 'van in the cooler months, so we'll need gas for heating as well as the oven and hob. As far as I can make out from the instructions. , the Truma water heater also runs on gas, but I stand to be corrected on that. I plan to be on hook-up in France, so I gues from your comments that size doesn't matter as far as running out is concerned. Which leaves me with the location issue:

They are raised areas pressed into the aluminium treadplate floor of the locker. It's not insurmountable problem, but I think I'll buy a big bottle anyway - less chance of running out in an inconvenient spot.

Dave

I think that as the TEC is a German van that the locker is designed to hold the standard German gas bottle which I think is about 12 Kg.

I find that in my German made Hymer that an 11 Kg butane or 13 Kg Propane fits nicely.

As others have hinted a little gas goes a long way on the continent and I find my biggest problem is managing to empty a bottle. Although when the 240V element packed in on the fridge last summer in France it was handy having spare gas on board :D

Dave

Dave

If you are going to use a lot of gas or regular trips to France buy a French bottle. Often on offer in hypermarkets complete with free regulator and cheaper than U. K. If you have a bulkhead mounted regulator buy a bottle adaptor from www. bes. com.