Changing Over To Calor Lite

Pete

we have today been to our local caravan dealer and taken our empty propane cylinders and swapped them for calor lite ones. the dealer informed us we were very lucky because as from the 1st april calor will no longer accept ordinary cylinders in exchange for the lightweight ones. anyone considering changing over might want to do it sooner rather than later.

as for how to transport your cylinders, decide for yourselves, as we did. the only purpose of this posting is to give anyone considering changing the heads up to save some money. thanks. :rolleyes:

sue

I Changed a 12kg propane for a Calor lite yesterday but there was no mention of the 1st April

Jaguar XF 3. 0 D tugging an Swift Challenger Sport 584

we have today been to our local caravan dealer and taken our empty propane cylinders and swapped them for calor lite ones. the dealer informed us we were very lucky because as from the 1st april calor will no longer accept ordinary cylinders in exchange for the lightweight ones. anyone considering changing over might want to do it sooner rather than later.

as for how to transport your cylinders, decide for yourselves, as we did. the only purpose of this posting is to give anyone considering changing the heads up to save some money. thanks. :rolleyes:

sue

There's nothing on Calor's website to indicate any change in exchange policy at their DISTRIBUTORS but their RETAILERS can, and do, make their own rules.

Taken today, directly from FAQ on Calor's website

I would like to exchange my cylinder for a different size, can we do this at any Calor outlet?

Yes, call your local CGD outlet on 0800 662 663 and they will be able to advise. All bottles except for the 5kg Patio Gas can be exchanged.

I think your dealer is pulling a fast one. I went to my local calor depot yesterday and changed to calor lite for the first time, I told the saleman I might come back again in September to change my other one and he reply no problem.

Edited by Guest

i wouldn't say the dealer is 'pulling a fast one' oldboy, if, as roger says, dealers can decide for themselves. we called in yesterday to do the changeover but the dealer had run out and was expecting a delivery later on. he made no mention yesterday of any cut-off date. we returned this morning, did the exchange and it was only as we were leaving that the chap in the shop told us that the calor delivery person yesterday had informed him of this change in policy.

we are only relating what we've been told and hope it may help anyone to save some money.

Glad I changed over last year! I got my first Calor Lite refill yesterday when I had the van serviced. I was surprised that it only cost £18. 30 compared to £18. 50 a year ago. Re the exchanging of cylinders I suspect as others have said that its more to do with the local Calor agent. Even on some CC sites they won't always swap differnt cylinders. I am also suprised that not all CC sites stock Calor Lite. Given that it was designed for caravans and camping you would have thought it would be the only one they sell!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

The reason that Calor Lite isn't stocked at all CC sites is because the supply of gas is nothing to do with CC, it's a private arrangement with the warden, just like eggs and newspapers!

Roger

I appreciate that, at the last site there were no eggs or newspapers either! I just thought that perhaps HQ would give the wardens a steer on such things. Their loss and a dealer close to home gets the business, mind you not that they would get rich on my gas use ;)

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

The reason that Calor Lite isn't stocked at all CC sites is because the supply of gas is nothing to do with CC, it's a private arrangement with the warden, just like eggs and newspapers!

Roger,

If thats the case why don,t club sites stock BP Gaslite ? Because Calor won,t allow the club to sell BP.

at the 2007 National Rally BP had a stand there but were not allowed to sell gas. I contacted a director of the CC to complain and was told it was a commercial decision as Calor were sponsering the event.

Even my local dealer sropped selling BP because Calor said if they didn,t they would stop them selling Calor.

I always understood gas sales on club sites were controlled by the club.

Roger

Roger,

If thats the case why don,t club sites stock BP Gaslite ? Because Calor won,t allow the club to sell BP.

at the 2007 National Rally BP had a stand there but were not allowed to sell gas. I contacted a director of the CC to complain and was told it was a commercial decision as Calor were sponsering the event.

Even my local dealer sropped selling BP because Calor said if they didn,t they would stop them selling Calor.

Roger

It's not a CC rule for their club sites, it's the Calor agreement with the retailer which precludes the sale of competitors products, but does permit sale of Camping Gaz.

If Calor were sponsoring the National Rally I'm not surprised they banned the sale of BP Gaslight.

I understood that anything which didn't go in the CC till wasn't controlled by them - like gas, eggs, newspapers, local guidebooks etc.

Roger,

Roger

I also complained to the CC about not offering BP and got the same answer. I was also told that Calor pay the insurance costs for each retailer to cover any problems which might arise in the use and handling of the gas - I asked what this amounted to in cash benefit to the CC but never got an response. I reckon that this is the real reason that the CC do not offer a choice to people like myself who use BP Gaslite - purely cash!!

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I also complained to the CC about not offering BP and got the same answer. I was also told that Calor pay the insurance costs for each retailer to cover any problems which might arise in the use and handling of the gas - I asked what this amounted to in cash benefit to the CC but never got an response. I reckon that this is the real reason that the CC do not offer a choice to people like myself who use BP Gaslite - purely cash!!

I agree. They keep pushing safety issues then when something that comes along to help reduce noseweight they don,t want to know,simply because Calor put money into events then have a monopoly.

I agree. They keep pushing safety issues then when something that comes along to help reduce noseweight they don,t want to know,simply because Calor put money into events then have a monopoly.

But the CC still bangs on about 7% noseweight - despite many modern caravans having a hitch limit of 100kg, so impossible on any caravan over 1429kg MTPLM !

having spoken to calor this morning, they have informed us that 1st april was their original cut-off date and this has now been put back to 1st may. as i said originally, anyone thinking of changing over would be well advised to do it sooner rather than later.

sue