Are Cordwheels Any Good ?

Wondering if anyone has got one of these for winding up the cable and whether they're any good for storing the cable without it becoming tangled ?

Also seen another product from W4 which includes a carry case, but think I prefer the Cordwheel as it would appear quicker to unravel the cable

Cheers

post-935-1238241247_thumb.jpg

post-935-1238241352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wirral Tourer

I have a cable keeper but do not use it much as I find that, as the cable is the first thing out and the last thing away, it does not get tangled much.

If you do use one of these, do NOT use it partially unwound. I do see a lot of people who have the spare cable nicely wound around one of these or even in a tidy loop. This is dangerous as it will cause hot spots in the cable and can lead to a fire.

Roger

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

Wondering if anyone has got one of these for winding up the cable and whether they're any good for storing the cable without it becoming tangled ?

Also seen another product from W4 which includes a carry case, but think I prefer the Cordwheel as it would appear quicker to unravel the cable

Cheers

We use the cordwheel and find it stops the mains cable getting twisted up, but we do not use it with the cable connected through it only as a holder for storage. As Roger says don't use it with the cable left coiled on it as it will act like a transformer and heat up.

We have a cordwheel, but we never use it now as it gets very heavy (for us) when reeling in the cable, instead we use a reel on a small stand, which also has 4 sockets on it. short Cable from caravan to 1 of the sockets on reel, unreel all the cable from the reel and plug into mains,we then have 3 extra sockets in the awning. We have a 25 metre and a 50 metre reel.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Guest madrat

We have a cordwheel and its a pain in the you know what. When you try to wind the cord up it keeps dropping off the sided so you end up with a twisted cable :angry: also the plugs don't fit the cutouts.

Your better off with something like this

http://www. towsure. com/product/13516-Cable. ..mp;_Storage_Bag

but you can find them much cheaper made from metal without a bag

Edited by madrat

We have a cordwheel and its a pain in the you know what. When you try to wind the cord up it keeps dropping off the sided so you end up with a twisted cable :angry: also the plugs don't fit the cutouts.

Hi.

I quite agree, the Cordwheel is a royal pain in the bum, it is so awkward to use, and heavy with the cable on.

I have a metal version of the above, light and easy to use, and CHEAP just three pounds 12 months ago.

Cheers.

T. B)

HI. ITSME.

Even though we bin loads of welding wire spools at work, I prefer to roll up my cable & put it in a plastic bag :),

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Even though we bin loads of welding wire spools at work, I prefer to roll up my cable & put it in a plastic bag :),

This is the best cable reel we have used. post-210-1238278976_thumb.jpg

We have used the orange cordwheels, the plastic and the metal cable keepers. The advantage with this is that you can unplug at the bollard, put it into the reel and not have to touch the cable until you disconnect at the 'van.

I don't know if you will be able to find them (made in Australia) but Burdon's used to wholesale them.

Mike

Guest John KS

Binned our cordwheel at the end of last season. Pain in the neck and too heavy. Gone back to coiling it up and chucking it in the front of the van!

This is the best cable reel we have used. post-210-1238278976_thumb.jpg

looks like a fire starter to me, any reeled up cable with elec running thru it is a no no, try your vacume cleaner lead next time you do a quick bit of vacuming without pulling the cord out fully. .......hmmm that nice warm fuzzy feeling. ......fire waiting to start.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Anyone know where I can get a wind up reel on a tubular metal stand WITHOUT the cable? I have several cables, all artic type, 2. 5mm which I want to transfer from Cordwheels.

looks like a fire starter to me, any reeled up cable with elec running thru it is a no no, try your vacume cleaner lead next time you do a quick bit of vacuming without pulling the cord out fully. .......hmmm that nice warm fuzzy feeling. ......fire waiting to start.

nigel

Who said anything about leaving it coiled up on the cable? It is designed so that the cable is easily removed from the reel - unlike the orange cordwheels. This means that it's less likely to 'walk'.

Mike

Your better off with something like this

http://www. towsure. com/product/13516-Cable. ..mp;_Storage_Bag

but you can find them much cheaper made from metal without a bag

This is exactly what I use, and I find it really easy to use right up until the last 5 meters of a 25 meter cable, by then my arms are aching and everything is getting a bit heavy, and I am no lightweight!!

My solution was to buy another length of cable and cut it into shorter lengths (adding plugs and sockets to each end) so I now have a choice of 25, 16 or 9 meters and I don't have to unwind a 25 meter cable every time I need a EHU. ;)

Have Bailey - Will Travel

I started using a cordwheel last year, I think it makes winding and unwinding a lot easier, the cable never gets tangled or knotted now.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Anyone know where I can get a wind up reel on a tubular metal stand WITHOUT the cable? I have several cables, all artic type, 2. 5mm which I want to transfer from Cordwheels.

Hi, yes go to B&Q and you can get a lightweight garden hose reel (minus hose) with tubular stand and winding handle, it's what we use for the hook up cable, best thing I ever bought. They aren't expensive either. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Cheers Mike R

I have one but its for the tip, I had to cut a bit out to get the socket out of the way. It's rubbish, back to a bag for me.

Jeff

The Butterfly coil is a way to fold up a rope or cable witout it getting in a tangle. The reason it works is because it does not put a twist in the cable, which is happens if you roll it on a drum. There are videos on the web if you google Buttefly Coil.

Kevin

fig4-4.gif