Vw Passat W8 4motion

peredur

Does anyone have any experience of these. I'm guessing Audi A6 quattro with a VW body on it with a W8 engine. 275bhp. I'm aware that it is petrol so would not have the low end grunt of a diesel. They seem to be dirt cheap 2nd hand, but is that for a good reason?

Edited by peredur

To call a VW Passat 4-motion an Audi A6 Quattro is like calling a Skoda Superb a VW Phaeton - a few similarities but not the same car, by a long way.

Compared to the V10 diesel it probably is lacking in "grunt" but compared to the normal diesels used in Passat, I doubt that it's lacking - it is a W8 after all.

The Passat shares the same floorplan as the A4 not the A6.

The W engines use the old VR6 narrow angle V6 as a starting point, these were that narrow angled that a single cylinder head could be fitted. The W8 is basically two four cylinder versions at a 60 degree V.

Makes a nice compact V8 but unfortunately becuase the design is quite old tech (The VR6 has been around for over 15 years). This really shows in the economy figures 21. 4mpg combined.

An A6 with the new tech 3. 0TFSi V6 petrol puts out more power and far more torque, does 0-62 in 5. 9secs witha limited 155mph yet still returns 10mpg more than the W8 Passat.

You can see why there's not a big demand for the W8.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

The B5 and B5. 5 Passats have a hybrid floorpan which is Audi A4 at the front and Audi A6 at the back. This Passat floorpan was then stretched for a Chinese version,and it is this stretched pan that is used in the Skoda Superb.

Best,

Frank

The B5 and B5. 5 Passats have a hybrid floorpan which is Audi A4 at the front and Audi A6 at the back. This Passat floorpan was then stretched for a Chinese version,and it is this stretched pan that is used in the Skoda Superb.

Best,

Frank

Yep you are correct Frank although I believe the new Superb uses an all new Skoda specific floorpan but with VAG running gear obviously.

On that subject the Superb 3. 6 4x4 uses the new VAG 3. 6litre V6 petrol which gets very close to the old 4. 0W8 unit for power and torque, has greater performance and is around 30% more efficient.

I'll be looking very closely at used prices when they start arriving on the market.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.