Witter Detacable Towbar

kev211n

Hi, just has a witter detachable towbar fitted, looks really neat. .. my question is, will i need to remove the paint from the new tow ball?? also the N conection is now sitting under the rear bumper !! will i need a curly extension N cable ? not sure if the one on my van will reach now . . anybody else have this problem . .

Hi got a witter detachable bar on my MK 4 Mondeo and cetainly looks neat. Our 12 Nand S leads just fit ok, check if there is any slack cables under the A frame you could pull through.

Ours creaked a bit when we first put the van on as all the fixings settle into place.

Brilliant piece of kit bout don't leave the towball part loose in the back of the car when not in use as it is a big lump of metal to fly about.

BMW 530D Touring M Sport auto, Coachman Pastiche 470/2 2011

We have just had a `detachable flange` witter towbar fitted to our Mk4 Mondeo and as you said, looks great and no bumber cuts.

I would second the comment about leaving the ball rolling around in the boot, our weighs in at 5Kg and that is without the stabiliser plate!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Same question as Kev. Do you need to remove the paint off the ball when using a friction pad coupling (Winterhoff) Odd that it does not mention it in the witter booklet. I had one fitted last Thurs, but forgot to ask the fitter. Saw a guy with one at my storage site yesterday, he had not removed the paint, but the friction coupling was having a good go at doing so! Looked on the Witter site to no avail.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Yes you will have to remove the paint where the friction pads will rub. I used some fine emery cloth as is does least damage to the metal of the ball.

BMW 530D Touring M Sport auto, Coachman Pastiche 470/2 2011

Hi,

Our cable socket is under the bumper and there's no problem with it, actually I've threaded the lead through the stabilizer handle to stop it trailing on the road. If you want to be sure why not conect it up and slowly put full lock on the outfit whille somebody watches to see if there's a problem?

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I suppose a lot depends on how long the cables are. We've got a Witter detachable on our C-Max and the cable sockets are under the bumper. I've had to do what Ian has done and used cable ties to hold them to the stabiliser handle to stop them trailing on the ground as they are quite long. I'd have to do the same if they were mounted adjacent to a normal flanged hitch as they are long enough to trail on the ground. The alternative would be to get under the van and pull the cables back a bit and secure them to the chassis somehow (cable ties again?)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning