Generator Output

If I am going to buy a generator for the Caravan what is the ideal output rating. I'm only thinkingof using it when there is no hookup and have no intention of annoying people. I would like to be able to power a Laptop or TV or maybe even a Microwave as well as the fridge but would really want it to charge up the battery. I know I really need a generator with an invertor to make sure that I don't damage any sensetive equipment and that I want a quite model but jujst don't know about power requirements. Any advice gratefully received.

Pete

If I am going to buy a generator for the Caravan what is the ideal output rating. I'm only thinkingof using it when there is no hookup and have no intention of annoying people. I would like to be able to power a Laptop or TV or maybe even a Microwave as well as the fridge but would really want it to charge up the battery. I know I really need a generator with an invertor to make sure that I don't damage any sensetive equipment and that I want a quite model but jujst don't know about power requirements. Any advice gratefully received.

Pete

Hi Pete

Taking every thing you have said, the only advice is to get the biggest (output) you can afford (and is small enough to carry around)

Idealy you need about 3000W (3Kw) but you will possably be looking at one the size of of a small trailer(as to speak)

The other thing to watch, if you are charging a battery direct from the Generator, some are very high voltage, and will cook

the battery, the best thing is to plug the caravan into the geny and use the onboard PSU to charge the battery.

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Guest John KS

We have got a 600w Honda which will drive all that we want except the microwave. Forget that! It takes too much power to even start it.

Having said that we have never used it caravanning. We used to use it on our boat when we had one.

Suggest you forget it and spend the money on a decent solar panel. At least you won't annoy the van next to you and you can run the TV and a laptop.

You can buy a DC power pack for your laptop from Maplins which will adjust to the power required.

Club sites usually operate a 16-amp supply at the hook up, and most of the independent sites we visit operate a 10-amp supply. We find the 10-amp supply to be sufficient, and therefore a generator with a 2. 5kW output should give you around this power output, although a 3kW output is probably a normal model range.

For the most quiet output, the 4-stroke engines are the best.

Frankly, we did once consider a generator, but changed our minds because of the risk of being branded a nuisance to other campers. The problem is that what you consider to be reasonably quiet and what are the reasonable times to use the generator, opinions can vary wildly. It is a subject that has been raised in the past, and the majority of posters have indicated a definite no-no to generators. Also, irrespective of whether you have no problems with actual campers, you can still find site owners, even CL ones, who would refuse permission to use a generator.

Decent generators are by no means a cheap investment, therefore I suggest you do your homework thoroughly before you spend hard cash.

I honestly cannot say from experience just what reaction you may get, but I can imagine a hostile reception would be more likely than friendly acceptance.

You have to realise that even a low hum of a generator in daytime is likely to be invasive to others. Although there would probably be less chance of neighbouring campers being in during the daytime on a CL, the chances cannot be ruled out, and I think a CL is usually quieter than regular sites, which would emphasize the background noise of a generator.

If I were in your position, and felt that I needed to go down that road, I would make a few phone enquiries to CL operators and ask if a generator is allowed. That way, you could have a better idea as to whether or not your plan is worth pursuing.

Regards.

Guest John KS

I have never known a CL that will allow a generator unless there is no one on site at the time. They really are annoying and not really necesary.

I've had a 600w Honda for years and it's been more than adequate. As for CLs, it depends how big they are and whether they have EHUs. Obviously if they do, they won't let you use a genny, but I've been on large field CLs where it's been no problem.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Perhaps you should accept some limitation in the use of electrical equipment if you chose to go to sites without electric hook-up. There's plenty of choice, at all price points, of sites and CL/CSs with electrics.

The thought of anyone running a generator powerful enough to use a microwave and everything else is mind boggling.

The Caravan Club site rules state "Generators should not be used between the hours of 6pm and 9am and at other times should be used with due consideration for other site users." This rule could reasonably applied everywhere.

Thanks for your input. First of all the Microwave was a for instance. It would be nice to have a TV but not essential. As ofr annoying people it's not likely. The palces that I would need the generator are dog shows which are not on a caravan site but rather a large field with relatively few people and the main thing is keeping the battery charged. As I have no idea how much a TV would draw (either mains or a 12V) I don't know how long I could run one off the battery.

Pete

Perhaps you should accept some limitation in the use of electrical equipment if you chose to go to sites without electric hook-up. There's plenty of choice, at all price points, of sites and CL/CSs with electrics.

The thought of anyone running a generator powerful enough to use a microwave and everything else is mind boggling.

The Caravan Club site rules state "Generators should not be used between the hours of 6pm and 9am and at other times should be used with due consideration for other site users." This rule could reasonably applied everywhere.

An LCD colour TV draws about 2. 5-3 amps, so if nothing else was in use you'd get about 40-45 hrs out of a fully charged 110a/h battery. That figure reduces for lighting, pump, blown air etc.

So if I ran an LCD TV and some low voltage lights for say 4 hours how long would it take to charge up the battery to fully charged using a 750W, 1KW and 2KW genertaor? Sorry to be so needy.

Pete

An LCD colour TV draws about 2. 5-3 amps, so if nothing else was in use you'd get about 40-45 hrs out of a fully charged 110a/h battery. That figure reduces for lighting, pump, blown air etc.

So if I ran an LCD TV and some low voltage lights for say 4 hours how long would it take to charge up the battery to fully charged using a 750W, 1KW and 2KW genertaor? Sorry to be so needy.

Pete

No problem! If you connected the genny via a 12v outlet lead to your van for a couple of hours per day, it would probably keep it charged enough to do all you need, maybe a tad longer if you feed on 230v via the van's internal charger. I've got a 2. 5a/h solar panel as well as a genny and in summer on constant connection it whacks in enough to keep the battery adequatety topped up for a fortnight, so the genny is then used solely to power my OH's hair dryer!

[but what size Generator would I need to do this?

quote name=MalH' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:36 PM' post='242682]

No problem! If you connected the genny via a 12v outlet lead to your van for a couple of hours per day, it would probably keep it charged enough to do all you need, maybe a tad longer if you feed on 230v via the van's internal charger. I've got a 2. 5a/h solar panel as well as a genny and in summer on constant connection it whacks in enough to keep the battery adequatety topped up for a fortnight, so the genny is then used solely to power my OH's hair dryer!

[but what size Generator would I need to do this?

quote name=MalH' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:36 PM' post='242682]

600w would be ample.

Go for a decent generator not one of those cheap 2 strokes as i did,the 240v output varies with the revs and can "spike" delicate items as i found out when i tried to charge my battery drill,it blew the charger. I have heard that people have ruined there on board van charger when powering the caravan with one of these generators.

Edited by grasmere59

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

If you go for a Honda you'll be OK