Dorema Awning

Stefo

As I am using a very slow internet connection at the moment, searching existing threads is very tedious, so I would be grateful for peoples thoughts.

I am thinking of getting one of the two Dorema awnings offered on their Factory Clearance 40% off sale.

The only difference I can see in specification is that one has acrylic walls and the other coated polyester - any advise on which to chose would be welcome.

Also, wondering about choice of frame - steel, aluminium or fibreglass - I am on a seasonal pitch for 7 months, so weight is not an issue - I am more concerned about strength and resistance to bad weather conditions.

Thanks

Steve

Steve

Bailey Series 6 Senator Indiana

I'd suggest - for a seasonal pitch, use an acrylic with a steel frame - aluminium is prone to bending in bad weather - fibreglass is strong enough but you don't need to pay extra for it's lightness - acrylic will stand the weather better.

As I am using a very slow internet connection at the moment, searching existing threads is very tedious, so I would be grateful for peoples thoughts.

I am thinking of getting one of the two Dorema awnings offered on their Factory Clearance 40% off sale.

The only difference I can see in specification is that one has acrylic walls and the other coated polyester - any advise on which to chose would be welcome.

Also, wondering about choice of frame - steel, aluminium or fibreglass - I am on a seasonal pitch for 7 months, so weight is not an issue - I am more concerned about strength and resistance to bad weather conditions.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think you'll find Dorema recommend polyester for seasonal pitched awnings. It's heavier, tougher and stays cleaner due to its tighter weave.

Lloyd

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

I'm led to believe that Acrylic breathes and polyester doesn't which I'm told means you can get a lot of moisture trapped with in the polyester awning leading to dampness on the items with in the awning and drips falling off the frame, apparently it's not as bad with an acrylic fabric.

Thanks for advice - seems like steel frame is best, and so far 2 to 1 in favour of acrylic.

It seems strange that both models on offer are different than any models in the current Dorema catalogue!

Steve

I'm led to believe that Acrylic breathes and polyester doesn't which I'm told means you can get a lot of moisture trapped with in the polyester awning leading to dampness on the items with in the awning and drips falling off the frame, apparently it's not as bad with an acrylic fabric.

We have had a poyester and now have an acrylic awning. I never really found lots of condensation in the polyester one, even with two kids sleeping in the annexe. True, acrylic does breath more, but on a seasonal pitch I'd say polyester has the advantage. As long as you have plenty of ventilation. Why are both Dorema and Bradcot's seasonal awnings polyester.

Swift Challenger 490

We have had both in Dorema Awnings. I would definitely recommend the 'Ten Cate All Season coated polyester' on the Awning especially for a seasonal Awning.

Again, for a seasonal one I would go for steel frame for strength. Very good price and I have always been happy with the Dorema.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Thanks for advice - seems like steel frame is best, and so far 2 to 1 in favour of acrylic.

It seems strange that both models on offer are different than any models in the current Dorema catalogue!

They may be 2008 or even 2007 models or old stock.

Swift Challenger 490

Thanks steve and Jaymac for the link, had a look and nothing in porch awnings in price range, and if thats a 40% off price ill stick to Trio.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Thanks everyone - now seems to favour polyester - but steel frame still seems best

Steve

Guest Surfer

Having had a Dorema on a seasonal pitch for over two years this is definitely one awning we cannot recommend. Colour fade, zip problems, stitching coming undone because of poor quality stitching are a few of the things that spring to mind which ir proabaly why thyey are offering them at 40% off. We now have a Ventura and friends who had the same problem which indicates it is not a one off problem have also switched to Ventura.