Towing In Bad Weather

StuBob

Hi All

At what windspeed would you draw the line at towing?

We are almost committed to towing tomorrow (wedding) but I am concerned about the weather forecast.

None of the forecasters are saying high sided vehicles should stay off the road so should I abort or go for it but take it steady?

Only thing in our favour is that we have a heavy towing vehicle. (and the forecasters MAY be wrong)

Cheers.

Edited by sybil

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

Hi All

We are almost committed to towing tomorrow (wedding) but I am concerned about the weather forecast.

None of the forecasters are saying high sided vehicles should stay off the road so should I abort or go for it but take it steady?

Only thing in our favour is that we have a heavy towing vehicle. (and the forecasters MAY be wrong)

Cheers.

Difficult to answer, depends on where was going and which direction the wind was, a shaded route is better than a road that is open like the A1 past Borougbridge. if I was going via Brough on the A66 I would not be to keen. As for wind direction I came out of Cornwall a few years back and it was not to clever but when I got to the M5 I had a lovely tail wind and made good progress up the M5 and hardly used any fuel.

Met Office and Highways Agency warnings for high-sided vehicles on specific routes should be treated the same for caravans, in my opinion - if the wind speeds aren't high enough to trigger these warnings but high enough to wonder, then avoid routes over high ground and exposed routes - A-roads may be better than motorways, in this respect.

Hi All

Cheers.

Hi Stuart,

I'm towing down to Harrogate tomorrow and I've seen nothing to prevent us from travelling,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Met Office and Highways Agency warnings for high-sided vehicles on specific routes should be treated the same for caravans, in my opinion - if the wind speeds aren't high enough to trigger these warnings but high enough to wonder, then avoid routes over high ground and exposed routes - A-roads may be better than motorways, in this respect.

Thanks Roger

Can't see any advice on the travel England website relating to avoiding routes for high sided vehicles tomorrow, and it wasn't mentioned on the weather forecast, so I presume they are suggesting it is OK to travel (with care of course) . ...

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

All you have to do is just be aware and ready to take your foot off the gas feel a gust.

To add to the above - pay attention to hazard perception more than usual - coming out of a motorway cutting onto an embankment is always a potential problem for sudden cross-draughts, coming out into the open from trees, buildings or even just HGVs can have the same effect

Give yourself a bit of extra time just in case and slow down if, as RogerL said, you see potential hazards. Also reduce your speed on down slopes.

Watch your mirrors for the lorries and coaches. One tip I was given on motorways was to drive on the right hand side of the lane your are in and then pull over to the left hand side just as the lorry/coach is going to pass. This encourages the lorry/coach to move to the right of their lane and you have forced a bigger gap as they pass.

Especially as you say you have a good outfit match, I would not worry. It will not be as be as bad as you anticipate. Just don't rush.

Good luck

Roger

Edited by RogerN

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

Im travelling from S Devon to S Wales tomorrow and, according to www. xcweather. co. uk I should have a tail wind !! Fortunately the twin axle is quite stable and I don't anticipate any problems.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

As previously stated keep an eye on the wind effects on trees, other vehicles, the feel of your outfit and adjust your driving to suit. Don't know were your heading but most of the high winds are up in Scotland.

Im passing your way heading up to Wharfedale CC site which opens tomorrow, don't expect to many problems.

Have a safe trip.

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

When i was truck driving there was an unwritten rule that if the wind speed was 50 mph or over any empty highside/curtainsider waggon parked up. I don't know if that is still the norm, where i work we certainly will not send a truck out in those conditions, if you do get caught out try and keep your speed down.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

One tip I was given on motorways was to drive on the right hand side of the lane your are in and then pull over to the left hand side just as the lorry/coach is going to pass. This encourages the lorry/coach to move to the right of their lane and you have forced a bigger gap as they pass.

That's what my neighbour who used to drive HGVs told me years ago. It worked a treat when I had my old outfit.

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

One tip I was given on motorways was to drive on the right hand side of the lane your are in and then pull over to the left hand side just as the lorry/coach is going to pass. This encourages the lorry/coach to move to the right of their lane and you have forced a bigger gap as they pass

That's what my neighbour who used to drive HGVs told me years ago. It worked a treat when I had my old outfit.

I'd say that is not good advice especially as your in a tin car towing a caravan and not the large HGV that won't come to much harm should you come into contact, were as you may end up wishing you'd never had that advise as you survey the damage.

Be aware of the windy conditions and prepare for where the wind may be coming from as previous posters have stated I remember going through spaghetti Junction Birmingham in a gale on the high level sections I was down to 45 miles an hour at times.

If your careful you'll have a safe journey, just make sure that you take extra care before setting off that you load the caravan correctly and that you don't have to much weight at the back of the caravan, put it over the axle, better still if you have space in the car put in there as it's better to have a heavy car and light caravan, also make sure you have as much weight on the nose of the caravan as permitted in the car and caravan user manuals. Also have the hitch at the right height slightly down at the hitch, it all helps to stop the tail (caravan) wagging the dog (car)

and don't forget to relax it makes for a nicer journey, have a nice time

Edited by Elm6

I'd say that is not good advice especially as your in a tin car towing a caravan and not the large HGV that won't come to much harm should you come into contact, were as you may end up wishing you'd never had that advise as you survey the damage.

I think you may of misread the advice.

You see an approaching HGV in the distance, you move to the right of your lane, but stay in lane, the HGV driver will then move accross slightly in their lane and as they are about to pass you move carefully to left of your lane.

You get twice as much passing space and much less turbulance. It is tried and tested.

Edited by univega

didn't we have a guy here who had studied all this and was concerned about caravans "taking off" in high winds -- did he have a point???

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We had to tow back home from the Peak District in very windy weather last Monday. We avoided the motorways and used

A roads all the way and it wasn't too bad. Most of the journey when the weather was at its worst was on single carriageways so we didn't have lorries overtaking us. I don't think the journey took us very much longer and we were certainly a lot happier taking this action.

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

after 30 year pulling caravans and drivingf hgv's, i say watch hgv's when towing.

Watch the curtains to see where the wind comes from and how much it is blowing,judge the weight of the truck if you can to see how much it is being blown about and get alongside when going over a bridge etc so that it takes away some of the wind strength.

jeff

Edited by BertieBassett

I think you may of misread the advice.

You see an approaching HGV in the distance, you move to the right of your lane, but stay in lane, the HGV driver will then move accross slightly in their lane and as they are about to pass you move carefully to left of your lane.

You get twice as much passing space and much less turbulance. It is tried and tested.

I would say that the poster has not mis read and would be correct in advising against this. Most hgv drivers are used to and comfortable at driving within 3 inches of the side of the road and if the driver does not pull over you have just made things a lot worse for yourself.

Also if it is a windy day and the wind is coming from the right as the artic draws alongside you he will take the wind off you maybe causing you to veer slightly to the right whereas he will still be taking the wind pushing him to the left. Couple this with high wind speeds and the increased venturi effect of the smaller gap and you are heading for trouble.

Much better to take up a normal middle of the lane position and as the vehicle starts to pass pull slightly to the line on the left.

Main thing is -- To slow down -- the faster you are travelling - the more unstable the rig is in higher winds -- drop down by 10 mph and you will be safer -- and it wont take you that much longer. .. to get to your destination.

BTW my new Tom-Tom 740 has wind indicators -- and it puts up a little wind sock in the top left corner -- when it has downloaded the current weather conditions -- monitoring constantly like the Traffic. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I agree with almost every response here. .......subject to decent car:'van weight ratio and corect loading.

If anyone gets it wrong that's when strong winds mean deep do-do.

Probably preaching to the converted, but, there you go.

Edited by paulthomas

I would say that the poster has not mis read and would be correct in advising against this. Most hgv drivers are used to and comfortable at driving within 3 inches of the side of the road and if the driver does not pull over you have just made things a lot worse for yourself.

Also if it is a windy day and the wind is coming from the right as the artic draws alongside you he will take the wind off you maybe causing you to veer slightly to the right whereas he will still be taking the wind pushing him to the left. Couple this with high wind speeds and the increased venturi effect of the smaller gap and you are heading for trouble.

Much better to take up a normal middle of the lane position and as the vehicle starts to pass pull slightly to the line on the left.

*****! Read the advice again, you will be at the left of your own lane as the HGV passes and the gap will be larger not smaller! What don't you understand.

The only difference is you are at the right of your lane when it's a few hundred yards away and you move to the left of your lane well before it passes.

There is no danger involved, no swerving and at no point are you any closer to the traffic in the lane to the right.

You obviously don't move to the right of your lane if there's a constant stream of traffic coming past you.

You must agree it's safer because you say to move to the left at the end of your post. :huh:

It depends on your outfit as well. If you have an85% match or below then your outfit will be more stable. If you know your outfit then you become better prepared to deal with winds.

With My last outfit, which was not particularly stable, i would not tow in winds above 25 (on the BBC forecast). The outfit did not feel stable. My current outfit is very stable, the ratio is only 70% and I towed back last weekend in average wind speeds of 30+ with no problems - just kept the speed down and was more careful.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

As previously stated keep an eye on the wind effects on trees, other vehicles, the feel of your outfit and adjust your driving to suit. Don't know were your heading but most of the high winds are up in Scotland.

Im passing your way heading up to Wharfedale CC site which opens tomorrow, don't expect to many problems.

Have a safe trip.

Brian

Thanks Brian - wish I'd seen you post before I left - I would have said hello - we were on pitch 112 at Wharfedale this weekend and I noticed a 'Provence' on site, that would have been you then ?

If you noticed 4 well dressed people walking through the site on Saturday afternoon - that would have been us! on the way to a wedding.

Journey passed without a hitch, Only problem I suspect you had was the same as us - when the CC booking system 'crashed' - Good fun eh?

*****! Read the advice again, you will be at the left of your own lane as the HGV passes and the gap will be larger not smaller! What don't you understand.

The only difference is you are at the right of your lane when it's a few hundred yards away and you move to the left of your lane well before it passes.

There is no danger involved, no swerving and at no point are you any closer to the traffic in the lane to the right.

You obviously don't move to the right of your lane if there's a constant stream of traffic coming past you.

You must agree it's safer because you say to move to the left at the end of your post. :huh:

That's Concurrent with CC advice too - they advocate moving to your left to make the gap between you as large as poss. Obviously if you stay right before the truck/coach approaches this will make him do the same giving you even more room when you move left . ...

Thanks to everyone for the advice - its appreciated and gives one a little more confidence to tow in Bad (or as it turned out to be not so Bad) weather

Right - just to give myself even more edge, I have purchased a shiny red pair of AL-KO shock absorbers - now where was that post on fitting them ? . .........

Edited by sybil