Breakdown Cover - Uk & Abroad

Adi

My AA cover has just finsihed and reading some of the comments on here my caravan probabaly wasn`t covered properly anyway. I see RAC are now doing Arrival but it seems Mayday are the only ones who clearly are happy to do caravan only problems etc. .

I`m totally confused by breakdown cover abroad as it seems cover is very expensive and required for individual trips etc. .

What does everyone else have ?

My AA cover has just finsihed and reading some of the comments on here my caravan probabaly wasn`t covered properly anyway. I see RAC are now doing Arrival but it seems Mayday are the only ones who clearly are happy to do caravan only problems etc. .

I`m totally confused by breakdown cover abroad as it seems cover is very expensive and required for individual trips etc. .

What does everyone else have ?

If you do RAC Arrival through the C & CC it covers the car and caravan in UK for breakdowns

to the car and caravan

I have just extended my annual cover on Arrival to include most of Europe for £85

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I have Mayday for the UK and Red Pennant for the continent.

Red Pennant is expensive compared to others. .... but I've never heard a bad word about it when people have needed to use it. .. which after all is the only time that it's important and especially the time when you'll be glad you paid a little extra!

G.

I have Mayday for the UK and Red Pennant for the continent.

Red Pennant is expensive compared to others. .... but I've never heard a bad word about it when people have needed to use it. .. which after all is the only time that it's important and especially the time when you'll be glad you paid a little extra!

G.

We had to use Red Pennant on returning to this country,worth every penny.

John.

We are covered by the AA and, as you say, to get covered abroad even for a few weeks is very expensive.

I did a search and took out temporary cover with http://www. swiftcover. com/breakdown/cover/ you can specify in days how long you need cover for.

Don't know how good it will be until we use it, never hopefully

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

I'm sticking with the tried and tested Arrival

Edited by Elm6

I'm sticking with the tried and tested Arrival

Hi Elm6,

I'm unfamiliar with the RAC Arrival cover. .. but do they provide support where the problem is with the caravan and not the car?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Hi Elm6,

I'm unfamiliar with the RAC Arrival cover. .. but do they provide support where the problem is with the caravan and not the car?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

This is what I posted earlier

If you do RAC Arrival through the C & CC it covers the car and caravan in UK for breakdowns

to the car and caravan

I have just extended my annual cover on Arrival to include most of Europe for £85

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Hi Elm6,

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Yes it covers the caravan if that is the cause of the breakdown you have to be a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club to get Arrival which I think is the case for the Caravan Club Mayday Cover

Just to give you some background to me getting Arrival I had cause to question if our RAC recovery would cover us should the caravan be the cause of the breakdown and needed to be recovered on its own so I sent them an email asking the question, this was their reply

Thank you for your email to RAC Motoring Services. Please accept my

apologies for the delay in reply.

I would like to advise that under our Recovery service caravans/trailers on tow at the time of a breakdown

are covered up to a maximum overall length of 7. 6 metres (25 feet)including tow bar. However, if it is your

caravan or trailer that has broken down at the roadside and we cannot repair it at the scene, then if

requested to do so by the Police we will remove it to a place of safety.

If you require the broken down caravan/trailer to be recovered to a destination of your choice we will arrange

but not pay for this.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

If you require any further assistance please contact us again.

So I phoned them up, to cut a long story short They asked for my C&CC membership number and added Arival to my RAC cover at no extra cost, but I don't think they'll do that for every one you may have to pay a bit more for it.

Full Details of Arrival can be seen here

I use Mayday for the UK & Red Pennant for the continent, never had to use them but they do give peace of mind.

Mayday runs all year & Red Pennant is arranged for each trip abroad.

Edited by univega

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

However, if it is your

caravan or trailer that has broken down at the roadside and we cannot repair it at the scene, then if

requested to do so by the Police we will remove it to a place of safety.

If you require the broken down caravan/trailer to be recovered to a destination of your choice we will arrange

but not pay for this.

Hi again Elm6,

With MAYDAY the cover (regardless of whether the car or the caravan has broken down) is. ...

Double Journey cover

Premium UK and Comprehensive options include our Double Journey cover, which means that a breakdown need not spoil your holiday. If your vehicle breaks down on the way to a pre-booked caravan site, then Mayday will get you, your car or motorhome and your touring caravan or trailer tent to site so you can still have your holiday. Your vehicle will then be taken to the nearest garage so that it can be repaired for the journey home. If that is not possible, Mayday will get you and your vehicles back home again after your holiday.

Are we comparing like insurance cover here?

My MAYDAY cover costs £89 per annum!

G.

Edited by chapmag

I think you may have mis read my post, the bit you have highlighted is the case that I had with the RAC recovery not the RAC arrival that I changed to or am I getting confused now :D

Any way back to the question arrival includes (lifted this from their web page here)

Arrival Return – taking you to your pre-booked UK campsite and back home again if your vehicle cannot be repaired (when Recovery has been taken as a membership option)

I Hope that helps

Edited by Elm6

I think you may have mis read my post, the bit you have highlighted is the case that I had with the RAC recovery not the RAC arrival that I changed to or am I getting confused now :D

Any way back to the question arrival includes (lifted this from their web page here)

Arrival Return – taking you to your pre-booked UK campsite and back home again if your vehicle cannot be repaired (when Recovery has been taken as a membership option)

I Hope that helps

Thanks for the clarification Elm6. .

with your clarification . ..

we are obviously comparing apples with apples. ..

but the bit I'm missing still is what does the RAC Arrival Return cover cost?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Thanks for the clarification Elm6. .

with your clarification . ..

we are obviously comparing apples with apples. ..

but the bit I'm missing still is what does the RAC Arrival Return cover cost?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Thats a good question I don't know if it's the time of night but I can't work out what it costs from this webpage but I'd phone the number as you'll probably get it cheaper if thats the cover you want to take out, good luck I'm off to bed now :D

Here are the costs of Arrival and as I posted earlier it can be extended to cover much of Europe for about £85

Hope that helps

http://www. rac. co. uk/web/uk-breakdown/?aff. ..amp;link=bottom

http://www. rac. co. uk/web/euro-breakdown/

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/NR/rdonlyres/...5B/0/Mayday. pdf

There is a link tp Mayday quotes for European in the above

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Here are the costs of Arrival and as I posted earlier it can be extended to cover much of Europe for about £85

Hope that helps

http://www. rac. co. uk/web/uk-breakdown/?aff. ..amp;link=bottom

http://www. rac. co. uk/web/euro-breakdown/

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/NR/rdonlyres/...5B/0/Mayday. pdf

There is a link tp Mayday quotes for European in the above

Thanks John but for my situ Arrival would appear to cost nearly £20 for than Mayday and the Euro cover would be £25 more expensive. ... add in the need to join the C&CC and I'd be the best part of £100 worse off.

N. B. I'd go for the comprehensive cover.

I'll stick with the CC.

Thanks again.

G.

Thanks John but for my situ Arrival would appear to cost nearly £20 for than Mayday and the Euro cover would be £25 more expensive. ... add in the need to join the C&CC and I'd be the best part of £100 worse off.

N. B. I'd go for the comprehensive cover.

I'll stick with the CC.

Thanks again.

G.

Seems like the best bet for you

Glad that the data helped to clarify things

We are already in both and it worked out cheaper than seperate holiday insurance for breakdown and health cover

With the Nat West Advantage Gold Current Account health cover use as well

It will be nice when the continental holiday gets here

My little pic is where we rested last year and we are already booked for May/June this year at Sarzeau on the C & CC Rally for the 15th time at least!!:D

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

I use Mayday which I have been very pleased with.

I pay extra for personal cover rather than vehicle cover for me and the wife.

This means that we can be driving or passengers in any car and be covered for that car and any trailer/caravan that it may be towing. As I tow a boat very often these trailers, particularly because of hub and axle failures, are far more vulnerable than most caravans. Had a couple of trailer call outs last year and the service from Mayday was first class.

As stated it is important to check that the trailer will be taken to a place of choice even if the tow vehicle is OK. I have found out that it is not sufficient just to ask 'do you cover caravans' because most recovery schemes will recover the caravan is the tow vehicle breaks down.

Bill

I use Mayday which I have been very pleased with.

I pay extra for personal cover rather than vehicle cover for me and the wife.

This means that we can be driving or passengers in any car and be covered for that car and any trailer/caravan that it may be towing. As I tow a boat very often these trailers, particularly because of hub and axle failures, are far more vulnerable than most caravans. Had a couple of trailer call outs last year and the service from Mayday was first class.

As stated it is important to check that the trailer will be taken to a place of choice even if the tow vehicle is OK. I have found out that it is not sufficient just to ask 'do you cover caravans' because most recovery schemes will recover the caravan is the tow vehicle breaks down.

Bill

I have personal cover with C & CC Arrival

I've only needed it once in nearly 50 ( Mayday in France excluded) years motoring and that was last year when the caravan wheel fell off

Having RAC Arrival with caravan cover I called the RAC and they came and fixed the van

It was only after they had done the job that I realised I had used the RAC cover that came with the car and not C & CC Arrival :blush:

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Are you or any of your family public sector workers? If so you are probably eligible for CSMA membershi and thru it Britannia Rescue. I pay £85 pa for deluxe cover that includes breakdowns anywhere in the UK or EU. I don't think that can be beaten, and they're good.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Are you or any of your family public sector workers? If so you are probably eligible for CSMA membershi and thru it Britannia Rescue. I pay £85 pa for deluxe cover that includes breakdowns anywhere in the UK or EU. I don't think that can be beaten, and they're good.

That sounds really good

Both members of family long since retired---best career move ever :D

I can only talk from my own experience.

Mayday cover I have had to use twice and found it excellent.

Red Pennant cover, Brilliant.

Tyre blow out in Germany, causing a lot of damage to the Caravan subsequently written off.

Managed to get to the Camp Site and rang the Red pennant number. From then on it was excellent.

"Have you got a Mobile Phone? we will keep in touch on that number"

After explaining the problem, "We will get an engineer to you to check the structure of the van for safety" Not needed I said as I'm sure the van is structurally sound, but worried about carrying on without a spare wheel.

"you will not be able to buy a suitable tyre in Germany, we will get one to you" I wanted two so I could change both of them to be sure.

"We will ring you back"

Half an hour later "we have managed to get two tyres on their way as we had them in our stores and they should get the evening flight to Frankfurt airport (40 miles away) and we will then get them to you."

Half past eleven next morning, man arrives at the caravan with two tyres!!

Rang Red Pennant to let them know and they asked me if I wanted them to arrange fitting. I had already found the local tyre dealer who sorted it.

They even said if I had any problems there to give them a ring and they would speak to them in German.

They rang me later that day to check if everything was OK.

When I got back I had a bill for just the two tyres!!

As they say SORTED.

Wouldn't use any other service now.

Dave

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

caraman1 thats excellent service, I'm hoping I'll get the same from Arrival as I've yet to call them out to find out, lets hope I don't need to :)

That sounds really good

Both members of family long since retired---best career move ever :D

If you are retired civil service or associated org, or your offspring/siblings are current/retired CS then you would still be eligible for CSMA.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450