Bailey Melting Light Fittings??????????

bopinbrianita

Hi there

Has anybody who owns a Bailey van of recent years experienced any problems with the ceiling lights in their vans. I am talking about the round fittings with the opal diffusers and two Halogen capsule lamps inside.

My van is a 2004 model and all four lights in the van are melting inside. The lamps appear to be overheating the plastic base of the fitting which in turn allows the screws retaining the lamp holders to fall out and consiquently ends with the lamp itself melting into the diffuser!!

I have been sent replacement lights by Bailey but these are already showing signs of overheating (discolouration etc) and so I was wondering if I am alone with this problem or has anybody else noticed this happening???

Some friends of ours bought a 2005 Bailey Paegant last year, we did a weekend away with them on their maiden voyage. We spent most of Saturday night trying to fix all those damned downlighters (18 in total). Turns out the manufacturers hadn't put any insulation on the connections to the bulbs and they were shorting.

Didn't over heat though! :)

I've got a bailey Ranger 2004 model and I have to say i'v never come across this problem? I normally use the side lights on a night though so the problem might still be there is i left the ceiling lights on for a long duration. :unsure:

yes had the problem on my pageant but it was my fault for replacing the halogen bulb with the wrong wattage the original wattage is 15w and I put a 20 w in, and the plactic inside has melted. however rang the dealer and the whole light was replaced under warranty

Yes we had the same problem with the ceiling light in the washroom of our 04 Pageant. We could smell burning and when we finally tracked down the source of the smell it was the light in the washroom. When the ceiling light cover was removed it looked as though the halogen bulb fitting was not screwed in properly and the bulb was resting on the plastic cover and burning it. . ( halogen bulbs get very hot). The whole inside of the fitting was burned to a yellowy brown!! Better half then screwed the bulb fitting in properly and all seems ok, although I must say we haven't checked the others.

Then we phoned our dealer and spoke to the fitter who was very nice about it, he seemed to be saying that there is a fault and this is known to Bailey!!!.

Have booked the van in for its first service in Feb and will make sure all the lights are looked at.

It hadn't occured to us that the screws were coming out because of overheating, we thought they hadn't been screwed in properly in the first place.

Thanks for the info as this seems to bea serious fire hazard. ...Will be contacting Bailey about this. ....soon!!

Norter

Spoke to Technical director Nick Howard on the Bailey stand at Earls court, he said he had never heard of this problem before and would look into it once I sent him my old fittings.

Did take him into the display Carolina and took down the diffuser on a random fitting, This light was suffering the same problem!!!!!

I am keeping a very close eye on the current fittings in my van and as soon as I feel they are getting too bad I will be seeking an alternative.

At the moment im just trying to see if this is an iscolated problem or if it is just rubbish fittings to blame.

Norter

Spoke to Technical director Nick Howard on the Bailey stand at Earls court, he said he had never heard of this problem before and would look into it once I sent him my old fittings.

Did take him into the display Carolina and took down the diffuser on a random fitting, This light was suffering the same problem!!!!!

I am keeping a very close eye on the current fittings in my van and as soon as I feel they are getting too bad I will be seeking an alternative.

At the moment im just trying to see if this is an iscolated problem or if it is just rubbish fittings to blame.

1352[/snapback]

This is more than just coincidence then, as I said before, the fitter at the dealer wasn't surprised when I told him.

I don't think faulty electrics and caravans are a good mix, Bailey need to get their act together and investigate the issue ASAP. I shall be contacting them by phone on Monday. ..

Thanks again for the info, its very useful.

We have a second hand Pageant Bordeaux since last Aug (2004) the only problems so far have been the power extractor in kitchen area where the heatsink has melted the plastic and dripped down. Also the cooker rubber stops which when you put on a frying pan or pot burn the rubber and they go all crispy break up like powder

Regards

David

• 6 months later...

I have had exactly the same problem with my 2004 bailey pageant. The problem is due to the fittings themselves not being CE approved. Bailey simply used the cheapest light fittings they could find. Bailey are well aware of the problem and have already replaced a lot of these fittings under warranty. Someone told me that they have now changed these fittings to another type. When i first spoke to Bailey about this problem they acted as though it was a new problem that they were not aware of. However it soon became apparent that they knew all along that there was a problem. I spoke with one of their agents at a Caravan exhibition and he told me that basically the fittings were a load of rubbish and represent a real risk of fire. If you are like me and dont have a warranty with your Bailey then i know where you can get replacement fittings at cut prices. Bailey want £25. 00 each for these fittings. I can give you details of someone who will sell you two of them for the same price. He has a shop on Ebay at this address :- http://stores. ebay. co. uk/caravanparts

Hi there

Has anybody who owns a Bailey van of recent years experienced any problems with the ceiling lights in their vans. I am talking about the round fittings with the opal diffusers and two Halogen capsule lamps inside.

My van is a 2004 model and all four lights in the van are melting inside. The lamps appear to be overheating the plastic base of the fitting which in turn allows the screws retaining the lamp holders to fall out and consiquently ends with the lamp itself melting into the diffuser!!

I have been sent replacement lights by Bailey but these are already showing signs of overheating (discolouration etc) and so I was wondering if I am alone with this problem or has anybody else noticed this happening???

1017[/snapback]

Our van is a 2003 model and we haven't experienced a problem to date although we both hate the type of light you referred to and therefore hardly ever switch them on.

Yossa

• 1 month later...